Admin/Moderators can you please make this a sticky?

There seems to be lots of plumbers moving or trying to come out to Adelaide,

That dont know about things this end!

If you are coming this is something you need to know!

The goal posts do get moved from time to time but this is how things are as of 11/04/11.

There are FIVE courses you have to do!

One is 6 days... one is 16 one days... one is a full week.... another is one week... you get the idea?

One is for Gas, one is for drainage, one is for hot and cold water, one is for sanitary and fire sprinklers. (and you have to now do a first aid course).

The courses cost you about $650 each but you can (might) get some of the money back if you can get a CITB card and are registered at Skills recognition in the city.

This will allow you to work for someone else!

This DOES NOT give you a level 3 certificate (at the moment but maybe soon).

Level 3 is what you get at the end of your apprenticeship here in OZ.

You can get work and be working while doing this but might not be on the money you expect, you will be classed as an apprentice!

There is now something called RPL (recognised prior learning).

They look at what you have done in the past and fast track you through some of the training.

This is not as easy as it sounds there seems to be lots of UK stuff that does not count towards this.

I think it's about time I got all these details down properly and put it up as a sticky.

Lots of plumbers like myself know nothing about this till they arrive!

I was told I would have to do a course but I have been here 18 months now and am still doing them.

Please feel free to ask any more questions.

Rob

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jlr248

Great info thanks robandMel. It seems there is lot of proving yourself for plumbers in Oz.

Does anyone know of any Plumbing firms south of the city who are likely to employ pommie plumbers? My OH has 20 years of experience being self employed. He is mainly plumbing and drainage and not corgi registered and covers domestic and industrial plumbing here in Uk.

Guest plumber leigh

Thanks Rob and Mel

Nobody tells you this

We have now got our visas and ive just booked some flights to come over for a reccie in june and i would like to introduce my self to a couple of firms while were there and try and see the guy ive heard you talk about who gives you your skill level.

Are the courses you talk about have to be taken in block or is it one day a week?, can you give me any idea what kind of money you can expect when you are classed as an apprentice?

I have 22 years in the trade plumbing/heating/drainage, corgi/gas safe for 15 years, experience in installation/maintainence/service/ breakdown/new build and worked for myself for the past 12 years

thanks in advance

The Heavens

plumber leigh,

The courses can only be done when there is a place for you(they are very busy doing these courses),

As a rough idea it has taken me 9 months to do the courses.

Wages vary so dont quote me on this but about $25 is a starting point.

Your experience is very good but it does not seem to hold much weight here,

I work and study with people who have had there own businesses with people working for them and they are still at the same point as me.

I had one job as maintenance plumber at the uni in Manchester for 20 years.

One thing i forgot to put in the first post is you have to do a senior first aid course, This is a weekend course.

Please feel free to contact me I want to help people..

Rob

Guest plumber leigh

Cheers for that,

Is the money approx $25 per hr or $25k per year, do you know if you can book the course in advance or from the uk so you can get on it as soon as you arrive?.

Is the work situation as we are led to believe, i.e. lots of it ???, Also is it easy enough to get an appointment with the guy at taffe as i want to try and meet him when i come over in june.

Thanks again for your help

Leigh:)

$25 per hour 'ish'.

You have to go and see Paul Hebbard and he will book you on the course, once you get here.

I can give you his email address if you like.

You can work while you do the courses as they are evenings or some are for a full week so you can take time off work to do them.

We live in Aberfoyle Park, which is quite close to Morphett Vale, so if you need any help when you get here just give us a shout.

Cheers, Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats rubbish what you boys have to go through, a lad on the same construction site as me said it's just as bad trying to get a contractors license...sparkies have to do a bit of study but nowhere near as much as plumbers. All the best guys.

Guest dalton

Cheers for that sounds a bit of a pig how much less is the earnings before you get all the tickets sorted. Im looking to come over in sept this year but not having much luck landing a job before we leave any suggestions??

Jeff D

Guest Bather's

hi all im currently living in adelaide arrived in january i was corgi gassafe for 10 yrs in uk expected gettin work as soon as i got off plane but no nothing for 8 weeks im in the middle of my migrant gap courses at tafe sa let me tell ya there not a walk in the park bloody hard ill tell ya paul hebbard excellent bloke ..... to all plumers coming over dont expect it being easy ITS BLOODY NOT!!!!!

Bathers,

Can I ask what makes you think you are in the middle of your TAFE courses?

I think we might need to have a chat because I have now up graded my licence to work under technical direction.

For those reading this but not in the know I am now sort of classed as a Ozy plumber.

I have still got more courses to complete if I want a level 3 certificate.

I am not having a dig at you Bather's just thought I might be able to help you in some way?

We are only round the corner in Aberfoyle Park.

Drop me a PM and I will call you on a land line or mobile.

Catch up soon.

Guest Perth Pom
plumber leigh,

I had one job as maintenance plumber at the uni in Manchester for 20 years.

Rob

Hi Rob

I also worked as a maintenace plumber at Manchester Uni. May have been before you started. Was back in 89-91 ish. I was working for (can't rememeber the name of the firm, but they were based in Burnage. I'm sure the boss was Alf. The foreman was Brian, and Ged was the main man at the Uni)

We maintained the medical school, science and physics blocks along with some of the main building.

Guest dalton

medicals thursday house up for rent soon can anyone advise on best way to get rented accomadation before landing what does everyone do , im trying to build a rapore with agents??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shahram

Dear Rob,

This is Shahram from Iran.i would to move Adelaide with 176 application visa this year.my job are Automotive electrical and i am good at car seat tailor.can you advise me whether i can get a job with these experience (19 years experience).

Guest dalton

Hi Rob

just though i would like to ask how your exam were is it all the same sort of principles as in UK. Just been granted visa & would like to try to find a job to go to, Think this will be hard from this end' but got a few month before we fly. Any advise on the big boys to contact domestic commertial Gas.

Cheers jeff & cath

Dear Rob,

This is Shahram from Iran.i would to move Adelaide with 176 application visa this year.my job are Automotive electrical and i am good at car seat tailor.can you advise me whether i can get a job with these experience (19 years experience).

Shahram,

I sorry but I can not help you with your question regarding auto electrician and car seat tailoring.

You could get in touch with the TAFE (collage)http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/home.aspx or evan skills recognition services http://www.work.sa.gov.au/

You could have a look on http://www.seek.com.au/ or http://www.careerone.com.au/ at jobs in the fields you want.

Sorry I can not be any more help.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest misschatter

as you may be aware the SA site is re-opened! although just wondering if anyone knows about the skills recognition side of things my OH is a plumber and took the vetasses test the start of this year which was correct at that time, now its seems as though they are after TRA recognition, does anyone know if this will mean that he will have to resit the exam! I really hope this is not the case as its so expensive. If anyone has any info it will be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

When I came you had to do the Vettasses it was the only way a plumber could get in.

While spending many an hour doing the TAFE courses I have spoken to other plumbers and things keep changing between Vetasses and TRA.

This is the way it was a few months ago...

Plumbers had to be Vetasses and Gas plumbers were TRA.

From what I know(not much really) Vettasess have to do a one day course and the TRA you just have to prove you have certificates.

Is this still the case?

I know this sounds strange but come as a Gas Plumber if you can it opens up so many more jobs.

Rob

Ps Misschatter can you change your font and size I am struggling to read it. Thanks

Guest shahram
Shahram,

I sorry but I can not help you with your question regarding auto electrician and car seat tailoring.

You could get in touch with the TAFE (collage)http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/home.aspx or evan skills recognition services http://www.work.sa.gov.au/

You could have a look on http://www.seek.com.au/ or http://www.careerone.com.au/ at jobs in the fields you want.

Sorry I can not be any more help.

Rob

Thank you so much Rob,it's my pleasure to care me and another friends in this forum:notworthy: