Mental Health Nursing - Advice needed

Guest missmoneypenny

Guest missmoneypenny

Just in need of some friendly and expert advice from any MH nurses in Adelaide.

We look as if we are about to be granted our visas pretty soon.

I am training to be a RMH, due to qualify 2013 and will look to move to Oz probably 2014 after gaining 12 months experience in the UK (pay wise is it best to do 12 months to gain extra experience in UK, or if we move to Oz will I have to do post grad?)

I would like to know what the job situation is like in Adelaide for MH nursing, predominantly interested in acute adult wards. what the rate of pay can be expected to start on, and how it progresses, how does work on acute wards in Oz compare to that of the UK?

Any links to check out in SA?

Just need to see what the demand, pay, etc is like to gain big picture of work vs the UK as I know that jobs in MH aren't that easy to come by in the UK now.

Thanks in advance for any advice

M x unsure.gif

Guest missmoneypenny

Hi thanks so much for the quick replies, it helps to know what the situation is actually like in Adelaide at the moment.

So the next question would be....private v non profit??? what are the pro's and cons of both...do they work much differently from one another?

What sort of shift patterns do they operate? 7.5 hour days, 12 hour shifts or can do long shifts?

How many RMN on a shift on a ward?

How big are wards?

Is there more work opportunity on wards, or secure or forensic?

Do you have to do preceptorship or equivalent once qualified out there? Is it best to get 1 years experience after qualifying in the UK before moving to Oz?

Does medication vary much from what is administered in the UK?

sorry for so many questions, but any knowledge on this is greatly received :-)

• 5 weeks later...