Leaving the British Army..

Guest l@ur@

Guest l@ur@

Hello there,

my partner is leaving the British army after been there for 6 years.

His job title in the army is an aircraft technician (mechanical) however, because he trained in the army he does not have a civilian aircraft maintenance license.

What he does have is;

an advanced diploma in engineering technology (ADET)

British technical engineering certificate BTEC

Advanced Modern Apprenticeship

Not too sure what he can put down on his visa as an occupation? Is it still ok to put

323112 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) as an SOL even though he doesnt have a civilian license?

confused :S

Hi

He can certainly put down Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) but would suggest he look at gaining his Licences. Bear in mind Adelaide may not be your best choice in this line of work as jobs are few and far between ( have known several people return home due to not getting work). Check out careerone.com.au and seek.com.au to look at job vacancies.

Cheers

Lea

Guest l@ur@

He's happy to leave the aircraft engineering and move into other types of mechanical work tho, its just for the visa we didnt know if he would be ok to put that.

Im assuming that although you put aircraft technician on your visa thats not what you NEED to do when you get over there and look for work? I guess you could apply for anything in that field and its up to the employer if they think you are qualified enough for the job?

One of his friends has recently left the army and he is doing maintenance work on mining machinery (in Brisbane we think). The skills are pretty transferable .

x

Guest guest2184
He's happy to leave the aircraft engineering and move into other types of mechanical work tho, its just for the visa we didnt know if he would be ok to put that.

Im assuming that although you put aircraft technician on your visa thats not what you NEED to do when you get over there and look for work? I guess you could apply for anything in that field and its up to the employer if they think you are qualified enough for the job?

One of his friends has recently left the army and he is doing maintenance work on mining machinery (in Brisbane we think). The skills are pretty transferable .

x

Is there a specific reason why you want to go to Adelaide rather than elsewhere in Australia? If not I would suggest going elsewhere.

I came here after 10 years in the British Army (Infantry Officer) and can assure you that not a single South Australian has ever heard the term "transferable skills" - or if they have they immediately dismissed it as some strange foreign voodoo.

If you look on www.careerone.com.au or www.seek.com.au you'll see that all the jobs in SA want a big list of Quals and "tickets" along with a load of experience in that specific industry.

Also ex-military guys are not held in the same esteem in Australia as they are in the UK when it comes to employment (this was told to me by recruitment consultants who had worked in both countries).

I'm not saying it's impossible, at least he has a trade which puts him at a huge advantage over someone like me, but you really need to do your research.

I know that CHC Helicopters who were the biggest aviation firm in Adelaide have just relocated to Perth so Adelaide is not fertile territory for an Aircraft Technician.

Good luck with everything.

Gareth

I cany help with your trade as im not in this line of work but i used to be in the Army aswell so make sure that you have your discharge papers and proof that you are no longer on the reserve list aswell before you get to the visa stage. You will need to show all of these.