mining $100k jobs available

Guest Guest5035

wow thats interesting Stevo.....hopefully we will be moving to Oz in a few months. Hubby will need work, so maybe I can ship him off down a mine :biglaugh: . Certainly wouldn't sniff at a 100K job!!

I see you are from Notts - so are we, carlton to be specific......can't wait to get out of here and to SA. Where are you from originally?

Beck

Is that the programme that was on ABC last night? They were talking about skilled migration but seemed to be looking at places like the Philippines to get workers.

Don't know why they dont train up the asylum seekers in detention centres to drive trucks etc while they're in there, then they could go do the jobs when they come out!

Guest Guest5035
Can't read it as you have to log in, but 100k job and move to the middle of nowhere?? Why not just get paid that in the city? Best of both worlds lol

obviously you need to read the story...

stevo

Guest Guest5035

Apr 20, 2011 12:03pm

DESPERATE firm prepared to pay big bucks for basic labouring jobs says move is a chance for people to chuck in city jobs.

In an aggressive recruitment campaign for 150 staff, the construction and services company, Ostwald Bros, is offering everything from six-figure salaries to housing subsidies, fly-in, fly-out and stints of two weeks on, one week off, reported The Courier-Mail.

Chief executive Brendan Ostwald said the lucrative packages were part of trying to get the right people into a booming Surat Basin and regional Queensland, where the coal and gas industries have rejuvenated dying towns.

Dalby's unemployment levels have dropped as low as 2 per cent in the past year and the company has even had to reach into local schools to market itself to students.

It has also been forced to recruit some engineers from the crippled economy of Ireland.

Mr Ostwald said it was an opportunity for people in the city to chuck in their jobs and have a career change as well as a tree-change and the company was prepared to pay for it.

"That would be what we consider a minimum," he said of the $100,000 salary for some labourers and plant operators.

"That is the rate for 14 days on and seven days off. We have to do whatever it takes to get the right people."

The more remote the worksite, the better the pay and not all the jobs, which range from administrative staff to engineers, pay above the $100,000 mark.

The company recently won a $60 million contract from coal seam gas company QCG, but Mr Ostwald said all the jobs for that contract were filled. The recruitment campaign will increase the company's workforce by 30 per cent.

Construction giant Bechtel is also recruiting for jobs in Gladstone export facilities.

Guest kerfumph

When you start to look into it and work out thats 14 days at 12 hour shifts with no penalty rates for weekend and overtime, it's not that great a wage.

Guest Guest5035
When you start to look into it and work out thats 14 days at 12 hour shifts with no penalty rates for weekend and overtime, it's not that great a wage.

fly in fly out, all accomodation included, along with all meals, 2 on 1 off, minimum of 100k, less tax because of remoteness....nothing to spend your money on

stevo

Guest karyn1
fly in fly out, all accomodation included, along with all meals, 2 on 1 off, minimum of 100k, less tax because of remoteness....nothing to spend your money on

stevo

That would be a huge saving to us - feeding the hubby alone would save us a fortune;)

Guest Guest5035
Not worth it. It works out at $34/ph. You can get $31 at Kanmantoo and go home every day.

I'm not very good at maths, but how did you come by $34 a hour.

Stevo

I have been looking into the possibilty of getting into the mines , used to work on opencut mines here in uk , driving 777 dump trucks . I have found out that alot of companies like you to have a heavy rigid licence , wages are between $30 to $40 per hour. its 12hr shifts that are long and boring, check out this web site www.miningaustralia.com.au south australia is set to host around 23 mines by 2015 and a buy 2020 43 mines think thats what i read. its something i would consider , but looking at bus driving and truck driving as options , drive class c hgvs at the moment , so will have to take a retest once in aus.which cost around $2000 depending on experiance.

Guest moonraker1959
Hmmm, I wonder if they want to employ a 55 year old retired copper and would the visa let me get PR eventually?

I would'nt bother,I think you have to submit character references!:biglaugh:

My bro-in-law works up at the mines. As already mentioned it's 12 hour shifts (gets paid for 8), permanent nightshift, 14 days on, fly in/fly out, live on site, nothing to do but eat, sleep, watch dvds and work.

As his boss says whenever someone complains about anything "The plane flies out first thing in the morning and you can be on it."

Bro-in-law is a single, country guy who really hates big cities and spend his time off work camping at the beach fishing or getting drunk. Sometimes I'm jealous as . . . . but mostly I'm just glad it's him and not me.

Guest kerfumph
I'm not very good at maths, but how did you come by $34 a hour.

Stevo

365/21 =17.38 (shifts per year)

$100000/17.38 = $5753

$5753/(14x12) = $34.24

Guest Guest5035
365/21 =17.38 (shifts per year)

$100000/17.38 = $5753

$5753/(14x12) = $34.24

its all figures

heres me thinking $2k a week was a good wage and working 34 weeks with 17 weeks off ( 2 on 1 off) was good aswell.

So if someone works 4 on 4 off 24/7 and earns around the $90k mark whats that work out to per hour, as before not good at maths.

stevo

Guest Donna Smith

does any one know how to get a job in the mines??? My OH would love to work in the mines, is willing to pay the price to do a test on a dump truck, but you read that they have to have experience. Its not cheap to do the dump truck course, why would you pay that kind of money if no one is willing to give you a go once you pass the test!!! Its just a catch 22 situation.:skeptical:

Guest Guest5035
does any one know how to get a job in the mines??? My OH would love to work in the mines, is willing to pay the price to do a test on a dump truck, but you read that they have to have experience. Its not cheap to do the dump truck course, why would you pay that kind of money if no one is willing to give you a go once you pass the test!!! Its just a catch 22 situation.:skeptical:

do you mean these dump trucks, these are the ones that are used in the mines mostly

http://www.wyevern.co.uk/img/CPCS%201st%20drop%20down/Plant%20Pictures%20&%20logos/DUMPTRUCK.jpg

stevo

Guest auchie00

I am currently writing this from Moomba and heading home tomorrow, been here for 2 weeks. FIFO is not for everybody and breaking it down with maths will never be anygood as you may as well just take your wage and devide it by however many hours you are up here, BTW your math equation is wrong if you look closer, if you got that per hour your salary would be 200k.

365/7 = 52 (26 shifts per year @ 2wks on2 wks off)

100K/26 = $3846 per fortnight usual pay frequency

3846/12= $22 per hour

or 3846/336 hrs (2 weeks) = $11.44 per hour away from home :GEEK:

and $11.44 per hour when at home, so you can get paid for scratching your ass from some employers (the holy grail me thinks):biglaugh:.

The benefit is when you get your time off it is bunched together and not just 2 days every week, having 14 days off in a row at home is good and makes you feel that you have had a rest away from work.

Again not for everybody but if you can do it you get the benefits of decent time off at once, not so good when things happen and you are stuck in the middle of the desert.

Guest Guest5035

The benefit is when you get your time off it is bunched together and not just 2 days every week, having 14 days off in a row at home is good and makes you feel that you have had a rest away from work.

QUOTE]

thanks buddy, i currently do 4 on 4 off 12 hour, so i guess i only work 6 months of the year with 6 months off, bit like yourself.

stevo