Catering/Chef work

ajford

Hi & Hello to everyone

I am a chef I have around 15 years experience-started when i left school and i have worked in most types of enviorments from Hotels to schools,cafes hospitals

We are just waiting to hear the golden news regarding getting the visa,now the meds have come back ok-

If its ok can i ask a question or two( i am still fairy new to the site)

Do employer s mind you just caling in in and handing your CV to them or having a chat?

At the moment i have been appying for Jobs from the UK but because i dont have my visa yet i am not getting very far-understandable really i know?

Is there any tips when approaching future employers or employers I should look up first?, Any help or advise will be good and many thanks,

It will be nice to be over there and looking for real-sorry ramble over thanks for your time

Andrew

Hi Andrew,I am a qualified chef also,I did my city and guilds 22 years ago.After arriving here I made a decision to try to have a career change so we can have a better quality of life because as you know it is mainly shift work in catering.I did look into it at first though and I think the best way to go is by walking into places with your C.V and trying to speak to the manager.I don't know what courses you have taken but my qualifications seem to mean nothing here even though back in England they were the best you could get!I do believe that you can get them transferred to Australian ones but I am not sure.Good luck.Sharon

Guest clare

my hubbys a chef since leaving school also, id say you need to be here and you need to deal directly with the head chef/manager. He's had 8 jobs in just under a year bakerys, hotels restraunts he's now in a old peoples home an he loves it as hours are amazing. Good luck

my hubbys a chef since leaving school also, id say you need to be here and you need to deal directly with the head chef/manager. He's had 8 jobs in just under a year bakerys, hotels restraunts he's now in a old peoples home an he loves it as hours are amazing. Good luck

He has done really well to get a job in aged care.They are hard to come by.It's great you are settled now.I have seen some of your posts in the past and it's not all been plain sailing for you.I think I am back on the job search now after working for 6 weeks for a fast food chain and being bullied and treated different due to what I can only put down to being a little bit more mature than the other employees!I am still emotional about the whole move as well which doesn't help.x

Guest clare

ahh thankyou although im still not convinced but i always said id do 2 years here, not gona say anymore than that before i get slated will pm you where he works i know they are looking for chefs now.

Its definatly not plain sailing hope things turn out for you.

Hi Sharon and thanks for your post and advice, My qualifictions were the NVQ level 1 &2 that at the time was the new 706 1/2. I think i still have an email regarding getting the qualification verified somewhere I will have to look more in to it when i land and get settled- still have to sell up as we got the good news today.

At a very long shot i am hoping to get a job in aged care homes/ education schools/Colleages anywhere really or that dream of not working shifts- however i am being realistic to the idea of working shifts just to get the money in.

Thanks again

Andrew

I will have more questions soon regarding

Thanks Clare you have given me hope-i would love a job in an old persons home I used to work in a few back in the Uk and the hours were great as well as the work load-

Thanks for your advise regarding who to see, I am expecting to have a hard time finding some where to work where i wil be settled-as having no contacts and starting from scratch again meeting people/chefs employers etc.. but i am up for the challenge.

I have received my visa this morning -So the reality is slowly kicking in-

so who knows where I will end up.. the adventure is just begining

thanks

Andrew:jiggy: