Getting Uk childcare qualifications ( nneb) assessed here in Adelaide.

Guest P&P

Hi, just thought I would post this as I have been surprised how things have changed since I worked in Melbourne approx 8 years ago. I have been looking for a job in a school since I arrived in January 2011 and they are very few and far between. I have registered with two agencies and neither asked me if I had had my qualifications assessed. When I went for a job interview in a kindergarten attached to a school last week they did ask me and hence I have been into the skills assessment office on Currie st in the city and they have sent my Certs off to Canberra. The lady in the office here couldn't have been any more helpful, but it was bad news, my nneb (+16 years) experience is not recognised as qualified.

Does anyone on here know how long it will take to top up to become qualified and how and where I can do this?

Anyone coming out to work in childcare you need to have a criminal records check done by children and families services (different to a police check) mandatory abuse and neglect training and an up to date first aid cert.

I am hoping to work whilst topping up my training, but wish I'd known most of the above a good few months ago as I would probably be sorted by now. Not usually a grumbler, but just a little frustrated.

Anyone in the same boat drop me a line. Good luck with the job hunting.

Pippa.

Hi, my fiancée has just gone through all this.

She had a cache diploma in the UK and she went to currie st and had them assessed. It came back as a certificate 4 in childcare, but then it was assessed by her employer, and they said it is equivalent to a Diploma in childcare?! Go figure.

Anyway, you can work as unqualified whilst training as far as I know as there are people doing this at her child care centre. Obviously pay is quite low though.

If you want any info then PM me and I shall get her to reply to you as I only know what she's told me about the process.

Guest the4hopes

Certificate 3 is to be qualified to work as an assistant in a childcare centre, and diploma gives you qualification to work as room leader or run your own private day care. You can study at home through a TAFE course,I am doing Cert 3 and just about to do work placement.

Certificate 3 is to be qualified to work as an assistant in a childcare centre, and diploma gives you qualification to work as room leader or run your own private day care. You can study at home through a TAFE course,I am doing Cert 3 and just about to do work placement.

Do you know what certificate 4 is? As that seems to be what they recognise UK Diplomas as. We were told it was a Aus Diploma by the child care centres, but there seems to be a cert 4 on the TAFE website - but the child care centres had never heard of it lol.

Guest the4hopes
Do you know what certificate 4 is? As that seems to be what they recognise UK Diplomas as. We were told it was a Aus Diploma by the child care centres, but there seems to be a cert 4 on the TAFE website - but the child care centres had never heard of it lol.

As far as I know there is only Cert 3 and Diploma for childrens services

Thanks all for the above info. I had my paperwork back today from the skills assessment office. They have said my NNEB 2 yr fulltime course in childcare is an Australian certificate 4. It IS NOT a qualified childcare diploma here. I will be taking Jo's advice and contacting TAFE with a breakdown of the modules involved in my course and also with evidence of previous experience and employment. I can of course work in childcare here, but the job I went for last week was advertised as qualified childcare assistant which I thought I was, but now know this is Australian Diploma qualified, one above the level 4 my nneb is!!

Phew I hope some of that makes sense and again thanks for your input. Pippa :arghh:

Guest tinas

I came out here in 2005 Tafe didn't recognise my CACHE NNEB either, but i got a job with an agency select education, not sure if they are still running now. They recognised me as a team leader, which i did casual for 2 years at various centres. Hopefully if you get your modules compared you may be ok or only have to up grade a few. You will have to do your senior first aid and madate training over here.

Getting into schools can be hard. It is who you know, if you do volunteer work then get a head teacher to recommend you, you can then join the Decs register. Crazy as they are missing out on good experienced people. I gave up in the end and going nursing instead.

Good luck Tina

I have just got my NVQ2 RPL'd by Tafe, Tafe made it a cert 3 and knock a few units off my diploma I had to do 9 more units to get my diploma. A friend who has a nnbe done the same as me and she had to do 8 more units all a bit confusing as she ran her own centre in the UK and only has to do 1 unit less than me:goofy:. Just got to pull my finger out and do it now!!:GEEK:

Guest Nick11

Be very wary about child care centres saying you are qualified. They don't have a clue. If accreditation or sa licensing rock up and take a look at the staffs qualifications..which has happened twice to me in the last 3 years..your bum won't touch the floor and the owners will be in big trouble as they will be operating on a qualified staff/child ratio that is illegal. Worst case scenario they can shut the centre down.

Guest lauraanddan
Hi, my fiancée has just gone through all this.

She had a cache diploma in the UK and she went to currie st and had them assessed. It came back as a certificate 4 in childcare, but then it was assessed by her employer, and they said it is equivalent to a Diploma in childcare?! Go figure.

Anyway, you can work as unqualified whilst training as far as I know as there are people doing this at her child care centre. Obviously pay is quite low though.

If you want any info then PM me and I shall get her to reply to you as I only know what she's told me about the process.

just a quick question who is your partner's employer as ive had my diploma assessed by currie street which also came back as a level 4 and i would like to have it reassessed again to gain a diploma level

thanks

• 7 years later...