Advise from nurses pleeeease!

Guest Shmaggle

Guest Shmaggle

Hi all - am about to qualify as a nurse and have to make a choice about what field to move into...bearing in mind that if we like it when we come to stay with our friends in Adelaide this summer we are thinking of following them out there!

So my question is - any advice on what would be the best thing to do? What are jobs like in Adelaide, I was reading a site for oz nurses who all seemed to be saying there aren't any jobs there? Is there anything (ie theatres) in which there is more of a chance for work? I love community and palliative really but not sure how transportable that is for getting jobs....I really don't want to make a bad decision because I may only have a couple of years experience here before looking to move (age is not on my side!)....and our recruitment day is in 2 weeks....eeeeeeeek.....

Thanks in advance! :o

Guest Trakki

the best advice I can give is do general and elderly. I am paeds trained and it limits me so much that I can't get a job other than hospital, even paeds jobs they ask for general. Community is limited. Get general or elderly experience and you will be fine.

HTH and good luck

Guest ems

I'd have to agree with Tracey that general nursing is the best way to go. You will have a lot more choice when you get here.

I was sponsored by a hospital to make the move but since then I have moved onto community. Good luck.

Guest Shmaggle

Thanks for the advice folks! Looking like I know which way to go now...does it need to be general acute or would elderly rehab hospital be Ok (there's a good one near me!)?

Guest ems

I can't see there being a problem with either as you would be able to get work in a hospital with both. Im not sure how quickly people come over after qualifying but 2 years experience would defo be enough. I was offered a job and only had 18 months experience post reg.