Have people actually found jobs on the building trade on arrival?

Guest Jadeyk

Guest Jadeyk

Hey Guys,

Need some help! Wondering what the reality of finding jobs in Adelaide is? My parents moved to Perth two and a half years ago but my dad hasn't managed to find a job in the building trade. I am in the process of applying for my visa to join them but things have got so bad now after not finding a suitable job for so long they are seriously considering coming back to the UK.

The only alternative they have now is to consider a move to somewhere else in Oz. As I have been looking into Adelaide this is where they're thinking of but there's no point in this if he's just as unlikely to get a bricky/foreman job in Adelaide.

Looking for some honest answers about how easy people have found jobs in Adelaide. HELP! Dilemma xxx

Guest Weez

I don't think Adelaide would be a good move at the moment, work has really slowed down and i know a lot of brickies and foremen that are out of work, word on the building grapevine is that victoria is entering a building boom, not sure how true this is?

will second what weez said it is very quiet at the moment but having spoken to a few companies there is work in the pipeline just gotta get over this lull...also something to consider is when work does pick up most supervisors will go with the original contacts they have so not a good place to be starting out.

Have a look on www.seek.com.au there are a few brickies/supervisors jobs in victoria at the moment.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Jo

Guest FayeandAntony

Hi,

Is it really that bad over there at the mo? We are moving over in August and my OH is a builder (brickie by trade). The thing is, he is snowed under with work here at the moment too.

Is it just the bricklaying side of the building trade that has slowed down? We know loads of brickies over here that haven't had much work for months but cos OH does all other aspects of building (i.e plastering, tiling, joinery e.t.c) he's managed to keep really busy. Do you think he'll have a better chance of finding the work in Adelaide doing other trades?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just it's getting really close before we come out there and the nerves and worries are really setting in. Just don't want to be taking a massive step back that's all.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Faye.

Guest rhymney

i have my visa but i have plenty of work here in the uk .the grass is not greener on the other side so it seems .been looking for bricklaying jobs in adelaide on the net for a while it seems very quiet and they dont have internal brick or blockwork just facebrick clading over timber frame .my wife wants to fly out soon so i will just take any work that i can find perhaps mining being from wales it might be back to my roots

Hi,

Is it really that bad over there at the mo? We are moving over in August and my OH is a builder (brickie by trade). The thing is, he is snowed under with work here at the moment too.

Is it just the bricklaying side of the building trade that has slowed down? We know loads of brickies over here that haven't had much work for months but cos OH does all other aspects of building (i.e plastering, tiling, joinery e.t.c) he's managed to keep really busy. Do you think he'll have a better chance of finding the work in Adelaide doing other trades?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just it's getting really close before we come out there and the nerves and worries are really setting in. Just don't want to be taking a massive step back that's all.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Faye.

hi it works different here all trades just do there own trade the all rounder does not exist. You need a licence for each trade to work for yourself. If you go and work for a tiler,plasterer or chippy you will have to be as good as a full timer. All the trades are quiet at the mo but it will pick up in the next 3-6 months as the wife said its all about contacts and getting established which takes time.cheers mark.

Guest Jadeyk

Thanks guys. So tricky. They dont have any money left to take any mistakes. Things really havent worked out they way they should. Anything that could go wrong has gone wrong. Its hard because they don't want to give up on the dream but in reality it has been a total nightmare! xxx

• 5 weeks later...