jobs for plumber is there much??

Guest dalton

Guest dalton

Hi all can anyone let me no what the work situation is like for plumber/gas im hearing things are slowing & the ozzies are reluctant to give jobs to us poms lol. while back they were sreaming out for us !!! whats the score??

Guest kfoley0681

speaking as a plumbers wife i would say there is still work out here maybe not as much as a few years ago but they are generally not entertaining you for job offers unless you have already done your australian tafe training and have your licences ie gas and or plumbers! being a plumbers for years in the uk or having uk qualifications doesnt mean your qualifed to work here!!!

Guest chillyanna

Hi Dalton, well while im a carpenter and not a plumber i do get to see pluimbers on my sites often and think there are jobs on offer, like other trades people come and go from companies and they are nearly always after new people to fill positions. you should email your resume to plumbing companies ( of which there are a lot of) telling them of your abilities and qualifications in advance of you coming over. maybe you could tee up a meeting/interview for a later date. i looked through the yellw pages for potential employers then went there with my resume to hand over in person. out of 6 places visited i had 2 offers within a day. BUT i do think you could strugle if you dont have aussie qualifications. i know a bloke a who left the trade because of this. come to think of it i have not really seen any pom plumbers.

Good luck

There are jobs for you but it takes some chasing to get one.

As you are aware you have to do the LONG training courses at the TAFE.

You can get a job working under direct supervision.

Not many of the plumbers I know got a job before coming out you it does no harm trying.

If you look how many plumbing companies or in the yellow pages you will get an idea of how many companies there are, But there are lots who dont use the yellow pages.

Its amazing how many plumbers you will meet up with at TAFE and tell you the good and bad companies to work for!

Rob

Guest dalton

Thanks any help is a big help ,as a qualified plumb did you get fast tracked throughany of the courses at all ?

Rob what the cost of all these re-sits? & can you do them as a crash coarse to get them all out the way?? Hows life in Aberfoyle we have been looking at this area does look quite nice. Looking forward to coming over just a bit apprehensive with the job situation & starting from scratch again? mad as im top of my game in the uk all ticket + commertial gas. Still is really bad over here for work you have to fight for every job. Thanks agin Jeff Dalton

Jeff,

I dont want to put you off so please come and try things for yourself.

Some people have moved up the ladder quite quickly in the commercial sector, In the domestic there does not seem much of a ladder to climb.

You can now do the RPL (recognised prior learning) but sometimes its quicker to do the two week course than the RPL..

The courses vary in price so the best thing to do is ask nearer the time and i can tell you then.

We like living up here in Aberfoyle Park.

It meets all our needs.

Please feel free to ask any questions if i dont know the answer i will try and find out for you.

Rob

Guest plumber leigh

Hi Rob, leigh again

Can you work without supervision once youve done the first 2 week course??, does this give you the licence to be able to go and find a job.

Leigh

When you arrive you need to go to the TAFE and get them to look at your UK certs and work out what what level of licence you will get.

(everyone I know has been given the under direct supervision licence).

You will then go to OCBA and they will process and make you a licence.

This will allow you to work for someone else.

Most companies will send you out working as if you were a final year apprentice.

I did not start doing the courses until I had been here for 9 maybe 10 months.

Leigh I hope that answers the question you asked?

Rob

Guest chillyanna

There is also the trades recognition service on currie st in the city. i think they are for more like uni degrees but worth a try, they told me that my carpentry NVQ level 2 was just under what they assess, they could recognize and evaluate NVQ level 3 and above though. it's worth a punt, hope this helps your thinking a little more.

There is also the trades recognition service on currie st in the city. hope this helps your thinking a little more.

I was also told about this place when we first landed,

I never went to see them as other people told me not to bother.

I have now registered with them as we have been told they are helping with the last few bits of the courses.

Once I have finished doing the courses I will be putting a full and in depth account on the sticky I started.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/23276-plumbing-workers.html

Keep your eyes peeled for more info.

Rob