Re: Work for Bricklayers - What the current situation?

Guest AceOfSpades

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi all, we are new to the site. Just wondered if there are any Bricklayers/Builders out there that can shed any light on what the building trade is like at the moment and which areas are better than others. We are looking to be out there early next year but want to get an idea if possible what the current situation is like and what is the best way to go about it being a new migrant. Is it best to contact employers before we get there or wait until we are down under to see them in person?

Many thanks for any help!

Guest Jadeyk

Hey, the building trade is really slow at the moment. My parents have been in Perth for two and half years and my dad hasnt managed to get anywhere near enough work in that whole time. They have put out feelers for the scene in Adelaide on PIA (see my posts) and the feedback has been extremly negative. I don't wish to worry you but I am just letting you know that it isnt as easy as you might think/hope! x

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi JadeyK, Thanks for the info! We have contacts in the building trade in Perth & they have said similar, just wanted to get an idea what it was like in Adelaide. I was getting the feel that things were really slow from Job Vacancies advertised etc.. You wouldn't think that they would be on the demand list if things were that slow though. I think it maybe hard for sometime for many occupations just hoping things start to pick up before we have to leave the UK! x

Guest Jadeyk
Hi JadeyK, Thanks for the info! We have contacts in the building trade in Perth & they have said similar, just wanted to get an idea what it was like in Adelaide. I was getting the feel that things were really slow from Job Vacancies advertised etc.. You wouldn't think that they would be on the demand list if things were that slow though. I think it maybe hard for sometime for many occupations just hoping things start to pick up before we have to leave the UK! x

Its been really hard for my family. Do you have kids? My step-dad has ended up recently taking on a delivery drivers job since losing work in the building trade for about the 4th time. He has also worked as a postman but they couldnt keep in on with this either! Problem is that these jobs just dont pay enough x

Guest AceOfSpades

Yes we have 2 kids JadeyK, Sounds like its just as hard out there as it is here in the UK. Hopefully things will pick up for your father very soon, at least he's willing to do whatever it takes!! Although you need work to pay the bills - I'm a big believer in that if you are honest, hardworking and willing there will always be something out there for you. You can't expect it to be handed on a plate. It takes time to build up a reputation nevermind in a place you've had no real dealings with I'm guessing. If you follow your dream and it doesn't work the way you hoped, at least you can say you put 100% in and learnt from the adventure, hopefully the free things in life & the better quality will outgo the cons. xx

Guest johnboy

Hi all, we have bin in adelaide for just over a year and we lived in ripley derbyshire. And you,r right to asume that although there is loads of new builds going on around this area things have come to a bit of a stand still. my son of 21 joined us in august of last year and had a job from day he got here but has had no work for a month, although hes picked up a couple more weeks work its very slow moving. I believe the longer you live here the more contacts you have and work can still be plentifull but it would take time, i,m sure the more people you get to know beforhand the better it would be. good luck x

Hi all, we have bin in adelaide for just over a year and we lived in ripley derbyshire. And you,r right to asume that although there is loads of new builds going on around this area things have come to a bit of a stand still. my son of 21 joined us in august of last year and had a job from day he got here but has had no work for a month, although hes picked up a couple more weeks work its very slow moving. I believe the longer you live here the more contacts you have and work can still be plentifull but it would take time, i,m sure the more people you get to know beforhand the better it would be. good luck x

Its very slow moment...there are alot of gangs sctratching around for work, the mian house builders seem to be sticking with their selcetive gangs...i have mates who are brickies and roofers..they do say it will pick up...its just about when really....

How long is a piece if string?

This prob isnt what you wanted to read but i would rather tell it how it is...try and do some ground work before you get out here contact some of the big builders and see how you go....

HG

Guest Damien

Hello mate,

I was bricklaying here until Xmas last year and I reckon I got out just in time. Price work was being cut by the week, from $1.10 a brick down to $0.85, the big builders will only stick with the gangs they know (ie the one's who build loads of houses for them, treat their supervisors to golf days, pay their brickies crap money etc....). You might get one house from them, 6000 bricks. Then that's it, they won't even answer your phone calls. Some on here will say everything is rosy in bricklaying, I reckon you need to know the truth and make your own reasoned decision. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend coming out here as a brickie at the mo, especially if you have a young family but hey, I came out last year and our life is good (albeit in a different job) so life is what you make it. If you're willing to work in a job different to that in the UK then go for it!

Hope it works out for you,

Damo

Guest boesman

Would that be the same for wall and floor tilers and plasterers? I think I should change my career and become a truck driver...........

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi JohnBoy, Thanks for your reply. We live in Derbyshire, Ripley being a stone throw away! Thanks for info its good to get different views. Hopefully when we come to leave UK, things will have dramatically picked up somewhat. Things here are pretty similar except even worse as the weather is one of the reasons we are unable to get the work done. How are you finding Adelaide in general?

• 2 weeks later...

We're finding it all the same too. We came over last february to validate our visas and there was loads of work then. 12 months down the line it's all changed. My OH's a carpenter and we've got 3 kids and he's currently not working - we're living off our house deposit which is very depressing just watching it slowly disappear. I think what frustrates us is that we feel we've been mislead. As someone said above why are they still issuing visas for these trades when there's no work. We had to jump through hoops to get our visa as I'm sure probably most other people did and for my OH to prove what he could do because his skill was 'in demand' only to get here and find out that's not the case. My OH's thinking of doing something else too - not sure what though as he's been a carpenter for 25 years and all he really knows. Hopefully this lull with pick up soon, for everyone's sake.

Guest Weez
We're finding it all the same too. We came over last february to validate our visas and there was loads of work then. 12 months down the line it's all changed. My OH's a carpenter and we've got 3 kids and he's currently not working - we're living off our house deposit which is very depressing just watching it slowly disappear. I think what frustrates us is that we feel we've been mislead. As someone said above why are they still issuing visas for these trades when there's no work. We had to jump through hoops to get our visa as I'm sure probably most other people did and for my OH to prove what he could do because his skill was 'in demand' only to get here and find out that's not the case. My OH's thinking of doing something else too - not sure what though as he's been a carpenter for 25 years and all he really knows. Hopefully this lull with pick up soon, for everyone's sake.

couldn't have said it better myself!! My OH is a brickie and the work is s**t at the mo and to be honest although he has had work since he has been here you get taken for granted and treated like crap...the conditions here are so different than the uk, most brikies are changing jobs/careers after they get here...i wouldn't recommend coming to Adelaide if you are a brickie...cant comment on the other states tho.

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all comments - been really helpful even the not so positive ones! Hopefully things will pick up for all those awaiting jobs! :)J x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks very much for this. It's really important not to mislead people when they are making life changing decisions to move here and have expectations (thanks for the honesty Damien!).

I have a question about pay rates.

i intend to build an extension onto my house and would like to owner/ build. What would the going rate be for a brickie? Would it be a daily rate or an hourly rate? I don't want to rip anyone off (and don't want to get ripped off!) and it's important to be able to budget for the build. I was even thinking of offsetting the cost against providing rental as I have a family coming who are moving here and he's a brickie and he might be interested until he gets registration and full time work. I just want everything to be fair. It's a120 square metre extension so there's a bit of work.

Comments will be really appreciated.

thanks.

Tamara

Guest hulltigers

yes i agree, iv worked for some crap people in the 20 months i been here, but to anyone thinking of coming over its not all doom and gloom, im busier now then iv been ever since i arrived, fully booked up till xmas and the boss even got 2 more jobs to price up today whilst we was on lunch, a small family bricklaying business i work for and the boss even bought me new trowel n level last week and kitted me out with new work clothing, so iv finally met someone decent to work for, was his dads business who is now 80 so they have over 50 to 60 years of contacts in the adelaide area.. we currently building in unley at mo and have a race to get the work finished before xmas.. as so busy.

Guest Damien

Hey Phil, have you got work til xmas coz you northerners are so bloody slow :P:biglaugh:

Seriously though, good to see you've finally found someone decent to work with, you deserve it mate. Will catch up with you soon.

Damo

Guest hulltigers

im the only english there damo, there all aussies.. u know me damo , never rushed, lifes too short vto rush about 100 mph all day lol u know we never came to oz to do that.. yer catch up soon mate.. phil

yes i agree, iv worked for some crap people in the 20 months i been here, but to anyone thinking of coming over its not all doom and gloom, im busier now then iv been ever since i arrived, fully booked up till xmas and the boss even got 2 more jobs to price up today whilst we was on lunch, a small family bricklaying business i work for and the boss even bought me new trowel n level last week and kitted me out with new work clothing, so iv finally met someone decent to work for, was his dads business who is now 80 so they have over 50 to 60 years of contacts in the adelaide area.. we currently building in unley at mo and have a race to get the work finished before xmas.. as so busy.

I don't suppose you need another chippy? We've been here since February and I'm desperately looking for work. I used to work for small builders in the UK and hoping to work for someone like that here. I've got 25 years experience ........ someone, anyone??

Guest hulltigers
I don't suppose you need another chippy? We've been here since February and I'm desperately looking for work. I used to work for small builders in the UK and hoping to work for someone like that here. I've got 25 years experience ........ someone, anyone??

sorry simon but we dnt employ any chippys just brickys, il ask around tho, sorry to hear ur having difficult time at mo..