Electrican V worried we wont get jobs when we emigrate !!!!!!

Guest purplerdt77

Guest purplerdt77

Hi we have just booked our medicals and sent of the police checks, but we are really worried about all the negative threads about work in Adelaide, we are worried about giving up our lives and everything we have to move somewhere where we wont be able to get work. We are a very hard working family and would do anything to survive, but will we even struggle to get ANY work, I will scrub floors if thats what I have to do to survive, but is there no work at all in Adelaide????

Guest Rochesdownunder

We are here seven weeksd and my husbasnd carpenter got a job after two weeks He made 40 -50 calls and only a few came back to him I have sent out loads of CV and nothing Zilch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its the end of the financial year here and a bit of a lull at the moment.So I am hoping that I will get something soon

Guest Squareman

Purplerdt77, if you have a trade and the relevant experience, you should be able to find work. Adelaide is a city of over 1 million people so there is always an employment pool to tap in to. My recommendation would be to start speaking to potential employers, as opposed to just sending your cv out. Get on the phone to them. Adelaide is a 'people's town' and if you start networking and introducing yourself, you will be fine. Until you get here, you are just another foreigner trying to get in. That's my experience anyway....

Guest Chelseadownunder

Good electricians that turn up to quote and do the job will make a mint here I believe. So many cow boys and people that just dont turn up to quote its unbelievable. If your good and reliable you will be in demand and people talk. Its a small place in that people talk to people and referrals will come quickly im sure. Get round our place pronto !!

• 2 years later...
Guest Carl The Sparky

Hi,

I am a sparky and I am running my own business here.

To be honest it is pretty quiet work wise and not many other guys I talk to are hiring and some are doing the opposite by letting staff go.

Maybe Industrial is doing good? Im not in that area so I cant comment

Comments like sparkys would make a mint over here are maybe relevant 3 years ago? The market has been slowing down for a while both commercial and domestic with people hanging onto their money and putting up with things until the market lifts a bit.

We have also been dealt a crappy budget which is not going to help the market either so if you are coming over here and expect to jump straight into work there is already a bit of line here.

Don't want to sound depressive but that's what I have been seeing from the wholesalers and other guys.