Painting and Decorating

Guest Shaun O

Guest Shaun O

Im just about to send my info to TRA. Im a fully qualified painter and decorator with an NVQ Level 2 and 3 in painting and decorating and 6 years experience. Ive had my own business for the past 5 years. Is applying to the TRA first the best way to get started before applying for my visa? Thanks in advance!

Guest Shaun O

Thanks for your reply. I will be putting my TRA application in within the next two weeks. What is the current situation regarding decorating work in SA at the moment? Is there lots of work? Private or site work? Its been very slow for a lot of decorators here at the moment.

Guest boesman

Yes, TRA would be the first step, but just check, these days NVQ isn't always acceptable. We had to do an AQF111 certificate in tiling before applying to TRA. Might be different for painters. You can email TRA as they always respond back within a day or two.

Ash is busy & works mainly new housing / site work, East/West & City suburbs, rarely South. Use seek.com.au & local papers, ring local paint companies & speak to the building companies when you arrive. It may quieten down, but who knows, you just have to ask around.

Guest Shaun O
Ash is busy & works mainly new housing / site work, East/West & City suburbs, rarely South. Use seek.com.au & local papers, ring local paint companies & speak to the building companies when you arrive. It may quieten down, but who knows, you just have to ask around.

Will I be able to work on sites? Or will I have to gain a card such as a CSCS card over here? Does Ash run his own business? Thanks for your replies so far its great to get any help and info!

Yes he has his own business, he has a license which is a supervisors building contractor license & a white card, you pay for both, white card easy & cheap but the license a bit more difficult, you go through OCBA in the city (Office of Consumer Business Affairs) you wont need the license if you work as an employee though.

Guest Shaun O
Yes he has his own business, he has a license which is a supervisors building contractor license & a white card, you pay for both, white card easy & cheap but the license a bit more difficult, you go through OCBA in the city (Office of Consumer Business Affairs) you wont need the license if you work as an employee though.

Hi Angela, yes looked at the white card info yesterday, is it correct that I can take the test online? It says it costs $67? And what about the license? Do you have to pay for that? Does your husband have employees?

The White card was taken locally in Lonsdale, I cant remember the price but it certainly wasnt more than $100, no idea about it being online, Ash rang got a date & went along, easy.

The license I recall is a few hundred $$ so maybe that is what you saw online? Ash took paperwork & had an interview in the city with OCBA, he also went on a profit/finance course which basically shows you can manage a business & you do need an understanding because he is GST registered so we do a BAS (Business Activity Statement) every qtr our accountant does out TAX yearly although we do pay a % qtrly also. Yes he has sub contractors when he needs them.

Guest smilla

Hi there,

My partner is a painter & decorator and has been for 15 years but had no formal qualifications. He had to sit the AQF111 qualification and once this was completed, we could apply to the TRA. No use apply before as they will just tell you to get the Australian qualification. The qualification cost £1500 but worth it as sailed through rest of application.

Good luck.

Sam

Guest Shaun O
Hi there,

My partner is a painter & decorator and has been for 15 years but had no formal qualifications. He had to sit the AQF111 qualification and once this was completed, we could apply to the TRA. No use apply before as they will just tell you to get the Australian qualification. The qualification cost £1500 but worth it as sailed through rest of application.

Good luck.

Sam

Hi, where did he get the AQF from? Thanks,shaun.

Guest smilla
Hi, where did he get the AQF from? Thanks,shaun.

Hi there,

We contacted a company who organised it for us. They arrange for the Australian Qualified person to come to the UK and when there is enough people interested in taking the qualifications, they will organise a date with you. It's all tradies so you don't have to wait too long for an appointment.

Firstly, you have to fill in an application form, then you have to an 'on-site' exam where they spend half a day with you to check out your skills. I can give you pointers if you plan to go along this route

All I would say, is make sure you have lots of before & after photos of your jobs.

We are still waiting for our shipment which has all docs in it, so can't remember name of company. Very professional and I am sure it was about £1500 max for all of it. Check out the Masters Builders Association and AQF III on google, I'm sure something will come up.

Regards

Smilla

Guest Shaun O
Hi there,

We contacted a company who organised it for us. They arrange for the Australian Qualified person to come to the UK and when there is enough people interested in taking the qualifications, they will organise a date with you. It's all tradies so you don't have to wait too long for an appointment.

Firstly, you have to fill in an application form, then you have to an 'on-site' exam where they spend half a day with you to check out your skills. I can give you pointers if you plan to go along this route

All I would say, is make sure you have lots of before & after photos of your jobs.

We are still waiting for our shipment which has all docs in it, so can't remember name of company. Very professional and I am sure it was about £1500 max for all of it. Check out the Masters Builders Association and AQF III on google, I'm sure something will come up.

Regards

Smilla

Hi have spoken to TRA this morning and they said that as I have qualifications of NVQ 2 and 3 and experience that an AQF is not needed and would only be needed if I had no formal qualifications? So may apply to TRA first as it costs less than £1500 and time is ticking. But if they come back with a no I would like the info for the AQF as will be going for that when/if I get to oz. Thanks smilla

Guest smilla
Hi have spoken to TRA this morning and they said that as I have qualifications of NVQ 2 and 3 and experience that an AQF is not needed and would only be needed if I had no formal qualifications? So may apply to TRA first as it costs less than £1500 and time is ticking. But if they come back with a no I would like the info for the AQF as will be going for that when/if I get to oz. Thanks smilla

No problem, good luck. We did the whole process without an agent so if u need any help, let me know.

Smilla

Guest Shaun O
No problem, good luck. We did the whole process without an agent so if u need any help, let me know.

Smilla

Hi, we are also doing it without an agent, where do I start? I will be sending off info to TRA in next week, what do I need to provide? Then what next? State sponsorship? cheers,shaun.

Guest smilla
Hi, we are also doing it without an agent, where do I start? I will be sending off info to TRA in next week, what do I need to provide? Then what next? State sponsorship? cheers,shaun.

Hi ya,

You will need to apply to TRA first and when you receive the confirmation, you can apply for the State Sponsorship.

Have a look at these links for TRA

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/OffshoreAssessment/Pages/overview.aspx

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/OffshoreAssessment/Pages/apply.aspx

Because we had the australian qualification, a certified copy of this plus passport etc was enough. Would be a good idea to search POMSINOZ to check whether you need to convert your qualification from NVQ to AQF first. I would suggest to call an agent to ask - just pretend that you are interested in using their services to get some info out of them.

The guy who examined my partners skills was from the Master Builders Association, so check them out as well.

Regards

Smilla

• 8 months later...