Hubby has had an accident!

Guest Ellie

Guest Ellie

Hi Everyone,

My husband has had a serious injury and won't be able to work for about 6 months. Our life has turned upside down :sad: I have to find work and fast but I want nights as he can't drive either and will need to attended appointments etc. I also need to be there for my Daughter. I am hoping to get on a carers course asap for 5 weeks so I can work evenings doing that but need something while I'm training, also nights. If anyone knows of vacancies anywhere please let me know. We are told we don't qualify for centrelink as we haven't been here 2 years even though we are on a permanent visa. In fact we have been here a year today :jiggy:with no regrets!! Our furniture finally ships out tomorrow and now we have no income :arghh:

Anyway, must dash off to the Hospital now. Been non stop :SLEEP:

Thank you guys xx

Guest kfoley0681

you poor thing i know what this feels like my husband was in a major car crash and wasnt able to work actually nraly lost his life. we hadnt been her 2 years and im afraid there correct in saying although you are on a permanant visa your not entilttled to a bean!! was it a work accident? maybe he could claim work cover or insurance? if not i hope you have a lot of savings to get you by! good luck with it all and try to keep your head up high!x

Are you sure you can't claim any centrelink payments? You should be able to we are PR and have been getting Family assistance and Child care benefit and rent assist. Make the time and pop along to the office or if it's easier do the assessment on line. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/settle_index.htm

So sorry to hear your news, hope you can get some help from somewhere and good luck

Guest Ellie
you poor thing i know what this feels like my husband was in a major car crash and wasnt able to work actually nraly lost his life. we hadnt been her 2 years and im afraid there correct in saying although you are on a permanant visa your not entilttled to a bean!! was it a work accident? maybe he could claim work cover or insurance? if not i hope you have a lot of savings to get you by! good luck with it all and try to keep your head up high!x

We haven't got lots of savings as our house sale fell through the week after we arrived last year. We had to rent it out but the people in it want to buy so it's just a matter of waiting as they have property to sell first :goofy: I'm sure it's happened for a reason eh? Just not sure why yet! Hope you hubby recovered well and all is back to normal for you.

We haven't got lots of savings as our house sale fell through the week after we arrived last year. We had to rent it out but the people in it want to buy so it's just a matter of waiting as they have property to sell first :goofy: I'm sure it's happened for a reason eh? Just not sure why yet! Hope you hubby recovered well and all is back to normal for you.

Feel for you Ellie....:wubclub:

We had some scary moments a while back when Kat was not working and i got laid off....the mother in law in the UK ended up paying our rent for a few weeks....

HG

Guest Teresa01

You could try some of the Not for profits organisations, they provide lots of home care, Helping Hand are big in the north. ECH, ACH, Southern Cross, Anglicare and Resthaven are all over, they recruit pretty much most of the time and I think you can normally get something quite quickly if you start on a casual basis.

If you need transport, The Red Cross do a low cost transport service, if its for medical appointments!

Best of luck!

Teresa

I don't know where you are in Adelaide, but down south here, next door to our shop there is a hairdressers, the point of the story being, every single week and old lady is dropped off and collected by Noarluga something volunteers (I will keep a closer eye on the car tommorow for the name ) But there may be organisations who can provide support like this for your hubbys necessary appointments, meaning you can work more 'normal' hours?

I hope everything goes as smoothly for you as it can

what about nightfill at the big supermarkets? I haven't done it myself but have heard people talking about it as a good option if you have kids of school age. i think it pays around $22 an hour so might be worth a shot even if it is just a few shifts?

I hope your hubby gets better soon :)

Guest Nick11

The course you are thinking about is a cert 3 in aged care. You will need this to get any job with the elderly. Good news is you can complete it in 6 weeks. Wade training in morphett vale do the course..I think a course is starting this week. It is 9.15- 2.30 4 days aweek. The bad news is that the course cost $2000.

Guest Ellie

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and I have taken down notes and info and will be on it tomorrow. Been a hectic day today but at least Max is home now. Still a bit of running around with appointments this week and one next week then it should settle down a bit....I hope!!

Guest lippy

Feel for you... I was in almost this exact same position last November but were lucky that his injury was accepted under workcover - Knowing how expensive things become and stress you are under, if there's anything I can do to help out PM me even if it's just to talk.

Hi Ellie

What an awful time you're having...I hope your hubby's health improves soon.

I recently noticed that ATEC had a free Cert III in Aged Care advertised on their website but not sure if it;s still relevant. Maybe try the link and call them if you can't find it. They also advertise in the local papers sometimes. http://www.atec.asn.au

Good luck with everything.

Guest jaxndel
Hi Everyone,

My husband has had a serious injury and won't be able to work for about 6 months. Our life has turned upside down :sad: I have to find work and fast but I want nights as he can't drive either and will need to attended appointments etc. I also need to be there for my Daughter. I am hoping to get on a carers course asap for 5 weeks so I can work evenings doing that but need something while I'm training, also nights. If anyone knows of vacancies anywhere please let me know. We are told we don't qualify for centrelink as we haven't been here 2 years even though we are on a permanent visa. In fact we have been here a year today :jiggy:with no regrets!! Our furniture finally ships out tomorrow and now we have no income :arghh:

Thank you guys xx

That is really sad news Ellie. I hope your husband gets better soon. Take it easy. Things can only get better for you x

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and I have taken down notes and info and will be on it tomorrow. Been a hectic day today but at least Max is home now. Still a bit of running around with appointments this week and one next week then it should settle down a bit....I hope!!

which suburb are you at??? could offer some help if you are not too far away!!!!

Guest TheYales
Hi Everyone,

Thank you guys xx

So sorry to hear about your hubbie Ellie, heres hoping hes on the road to a speedy recovery and things work out for you. Will keep our eyes open and message you if we see anything jobs wise.

Annie

Guest Adelaide_bound

So sorry to hear - must be worrying on one hand due to the obvious, to have to worry about money and logistics is something you just don't need!

Sorry that I can't help really, still being stuck in the UK, but do you have anything you can Ebay? Its something we're doing to raise funds to get out to Aus, and you would be surprised what people buy for the silliest amounts of money - I find certain brands of clothes for eg (not designer, things like Bravissimo, Joe Browns and so on) sell really really well, even if its old, not in great condition and so on.

Anyway, just an extra idea, every little cent adds up to dollars as it were!

Thinking of you and wishing a speedy recovery your way! :)

Guest Opportunities

Although everything looks grim right now, just hang in there... Like the others said try getting some assistance from the non profit organisations.

You have made it thus far,don't give up now. Good luck with hubbys recovery.

Karen

x

Guest Weez

oh poor you xxxx we were in the same position last year when my hubbie broke his collar bone in a mountain bike race a week before the birth of my 3rd kiddie!! thank god for the baby bonus thats all i can say!! hope he recovers quickly i kno how helpless you must be feeling right now xx

Guest Ellie
which suburb are you at??? could offer some help if you are not too far away!!!!

We are in Aldinga. I have got a job but not sure what hours until next week. I just grabbed it as it just dropped in my lap this morning!