Aviation career advice/net-working advice please

Guest snowy10

Guest snowy10

Hi everyone,

Around 14 months ago I started the visa process and enquired about the aviation industry in Adelaide. I had quite a few responses which didn't paint a good picture to be fair, time has gone by now and the situation may have changed.

The other thing is that things are a little more serious for me and my family now. We now have our visas and are validating at the end of this year. The prospects for me finding work will be one of the biggest deciding factors in making the move. I have a good job in the UK and a very good lifestyle so it would be a hell of a lot to give up if I cannot secure employment in Australia. Basically I would not want to emigrate unless I had a job to go to........ in reality is this a realistic hope??

I have made contact with numerous companies but only had 1 response from the HR manager at Cobham Aviation who is happy to see me when we visit.

Does anyone out there have any contacts within the aviation (or military - I'm an ex RAF aircraft technician) which they would be willing to pass on.

I am on a state sponsored visa and I really would like to honour the agreement to live and work in SA for 2 years, I would not feel at all comfortable breaking this agreement.

That's it really, any contacts you may have will be very much appreciated and happy for you to PM me with the details.

Thanks in advance

Michael

The prospects for me finding work will be one of the biggest deciding factors in making the move. I have a good job in the UK and a very good lifestyle so it would be a hell of a lot to give up if I cannot secure employment in Australia. Basically I would not want to emigrate unless I had a job to go to........ in reality is this a realistic hope??

Hi Michael

In reality, if we all only emigrated from the UK if we had a job to come to, there would not be many people migrating to Australia!! I would think a high percentage of people on this forum come to Australia without a job lined up and any kind of security, I know we did.

It can be hard starting a new life. You need to think about the reasons you want to migrate and if your job and your lifestyle in the UK is good, why do you want to come to Adelaide?

Not going to say all is rosy here the moment better to be truthful than poaint a pretty picture.

I am a time served toolmaker....just out of work and there is not alot out there at at the moment....there is planty in the north but i live in the deep south...lol and the commute would just do my head in an hours each way was bad enough at my last place....

Things have slowed down alot in the last few months, thats everywhere not just manufacturing....

I have a friend of a friend who works in the Aviation industry i may be seeing him this arvo i will ask him if he knows of anyone looking for someone like your self...

Like the other poster said if your life is pretty good in the UK why you wanna move here...?

and whatever your reasons are make these the solid reasons for upping sticks....

Will ask for you mate

HG

Guest snowy10

The reason for us wanting to emigrate is for us to have a better place to bring up our daughter and for the climate....in effect to have an "outdoor" life. We feel that the UK is going down the pan and believe that Australia will have a lot more to offer when our child gets older.

We have nothing to "run away" from here in the UK which is why we would want to emigrate with a job offer.

To that end there is no rush for us to sell up and move away from the UK. I suppose I really should have asked, "How many people have managed to secure employment before emigrating", I am very realistic and I would suspect the only positives answers to this question would come from people working in the "Health Care" industry.

HG,

Sorry to hear about you current circumstances, I hope something comes along soon for you and thanks very much for having a chat with your freind about my situation.

I will continue to do my research, thanks for all the help/opinions so far.

I think it is possible to find a job before you go out there....but you need to try and find some contacts, research the field you are in and get writing some e mails. I am goinbg out on a 457 visa - so essential that i found an employer to sponsor me, and I have found 2 that have offered.....just need to decide which one to take now.

I'm sure if you really want it and kee at it you will find a job that suits.

Good luck

I think it is possible to find a job before you go out there....but you need to try and find some contacts, research the field you are in and get writing some e mails. I am goinbg out on a 457 visa - so essential that i found an employer to sponsor me, and I have found 2 that have offered.....just need to decide which one to take now.

I'm sure if you really want it and kee at it you will find a job that suits.

Good luck

What job do you do that is being employer sponsored?

HG,

Sorry to hear about you current circumstances, I hope something comes along soon for you and thanks very much for having a chat with your freind about my situation.

The bloke is a mate of Tykes...i think Tyke has given you some updates....

I will keep my ears open for you...

HG

Guest Guest75
The bloke is a mate of Tykes...i think Tyke has given you some updates....

I will keep my ears open for you...

HG

Talked to my mate Andrew and he says there could be some work available in the helicopter side of things when you arrive. A bit nearer the time I'll introduce you to Andrew.

Guest snowy10

Hi HG,

We are going to be staying at Tyke's Seaford rental and he has said he'll give the guy's contact details nearer the time of our visit. Didn't realise you were talking about the same person but thanks for helping out.

Good luck with your job hunting, hopefully something will come up soon.

Guest snowy10
Talked to my mate Andrew and he says there could be some work available in the helicopter side of things when you arrive. A bit nearer the time I'll introduce you to Andrew.

Thanks again Tyke, I didn't realise your's and HG's freind were the same person so apologies to HG for any confusion.

Our plans for the trip are almost complete now so looking forward to visiting Adelaide in your summer.

Take care and see you soon!!

Hi Jessica,

I am an Insurance Loss Adjuster, so I assess insurance claims and decide whether they are covered or not. Not on the SOL, so had no choice but to go the 457 sponsored route.

beck

I wonder if there is a shortage of Insurance Loss Adjusters then in Adelaide, you would think so if two employers want to sponsor you here. Thanks for the update. I was talking to someone yesterday that had been here for 5 months and he said he could not get work, but had worked for AXA for the past 6 years before he migrated and I said have you applied to the insurance companies in Adelaide and he said no, I do wonder about some people!!!! BTW I am originally from Nottingham.

I wonder if there is a shortage of Insurance Loss Adjusters then in Adelaide, you would think so if two employers want to sponsor you here. Thanks for the update. I was talking to someone yesterday that had been here for 5 months and he said he could not get work, but had worked for AXA for the past 6 years before he migrated and I said have you applied to the insurance companies in Adelaide and he said no, I do wonder about some people!!!! BTW I am originally from Nottingham.

Hi Jessica,

I think Oz has had a pretty bad time with all the weather incidents over the last couple of years, floods, storms, bushfires etc, so there is loads of work in the loss adjusting side of things still. I am qualified ie Chartered Loss Adjuster, so that makes a massive difference. Don't think they would have looked at me twice if i wasn't.

The person sounds a bit odd....couldn't get work, but hadn't appled to any of the companies that he has relevant experience with!!! Like you say, some people LOL.

Ah, so you didn't fancy staying in sunny Notts either eh....can't wait to leave! Although will miss family and friends.

Beck

Hi Jessica,

I think Oz has had a pretty bad time with all the weather incidents over the last couple of years, floods, storms, bushfires etc, so there is loads of work in the loss adjusting side of things still. I am qualified ie Chartered Loss Adjuster, so that makes a massive difference. Don't think they would have looked at me twice if i wasn't.

The person sounds a bit odd....couldn't get work, but hadn't appled to any of the companies that he has relevant experience with!!! Like you say, some people LOL.

Ah, so you didn't fancy staying in sunny Notts either eh....can't wait to leave! Although will miss family and friends.

Beck

That makes sense like you say with all the disasters that have happened. Good luck with the process and if you need any help or advice send me a PM.

We have been here just over 4 years and don't miss Nottingham, like you say just our family and friends. The first time we went back to Nottingham (after only being in Adelaide 18 months) we came out of Debenhams in Market Square it was wet and miserable and had only been in Nottingham 1 week and my partner turned to me and said "I am ready to go back to Adelaide now", he had never been to Australia until we emigrated and could not wait to get back!!!

The reason for us wanting to emigrate is for us to have a better place to bring up our daughter and for the climate....in effect to have an "outdoor" life. We feel that the UK is going down the pan and believe that Australia will have a lot more to offer when our child gets older.

We have nothing to "run away" from here in the UK which is why we would want to emigrate with a job offer.

To that end there is no rush for us to sell up and move away from the UK. I suppose I really should have asked, "How many people have managed to secure employment before emigrating", I am very realistic and I would suspect the only positives answers to this question would come from people working in the "Health Care" industry.

HG,

I would also add that even with a job offer over here it does not necessarily bring any security. There have been some horror stories on this forum and in the news of people being sponsored to come out and then they are beholden to their employer or it has all gone pear shaped. But then by the same token there will be people who have had a smooth and rewarding experience. There are good and bad examples for most situations. Australians can be tough employers and in reality you are not offered the same protections as an employee like you are in the UK.

I would also have a look at Flight Training Adelaide based at Parafield Airport, I know they sponsor people on the 457 visas, so could be worth checking out their website and dropping them an email.

Hi, I have served in the South African Air Force for 20 years. Got SS as an aircraft mech and our visa was granted in March this year. I have send 100+ e-mail's/applications to various aviation institutions in Adelaide, got a couple of replies but none resulted in a job offer. I then decided to apply for something totally outside of aviation. I just got a job offer at BHP Billition (mine up North) as a maintenance planner. This offer is more then I wished for, the salary is great and they are paying our relocation. Maybe you should start looking for other opportunities besides aviation. Aviation seems very slow in Adelaide. Look at www.bhpbilliton.com.

Take Care

Guest snowy10
Have you tried BAE Systems based in Elizabeth? other than that there's ASC (Submarines) also in Adelaide ....

Thanks for the info, I've not spoken to BAE systems at Adelaide but I have a few contacts with BAE Systems at Nowra (NSW) and their base just north of Sydney. The guys there say that most of the work in Adelaide is "defence" in nature and the majority of the jobs are "citizens" only. I will go knocking on their door though when we are in Adelaide.

After speaking to the guys in NSW, they have a helicopter centre at Nowra which fits perfectly with my 20 years rotary experience, however, it throws up the moral dilemma of SA state sponsorship. I know it's only a moral obligation to live/work in SA for 2 years but it throws up a dilemma if I was offered a job in NSW.

My overwhelming feeling is to keep to my promise but what do you do if you can't find work in Adelaide??

Our decision to emigrate has not been made yet, that will come during/after our validation trip so I am glad that this moral obligation is only in the back of my mind at the moment. Here's hoping Adelaide comes up with the goods and matches our expectations, and that a job presents itself.

I've also heard about ASC submarines, again I will try to make contact before our visit but if unsuccessful will go "knocking on doors" when we arrive.

Thanks again for the info.