3 year teaching degrees

Guest m.jephcott

Guest m.jephcott

Just a quick question to anybody out there who came to Oz with a 3 year teaching degree. I trained in the UK 10 years ago and would like to be able to teach here, I am a aware that you need to do 4 years and would like to do a graduate diploma in education. I have just come across another stumbling block, to apply I need an Aussie equivalent degree, to do that I need to supply transcripts for major and minor subjects. As my degree was for primary education I just don't have them. Any advise would would be welcome, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

Guest Adelaide_bound

Can you not just supply them with a transcript of your degree, whether it has major and minor subjects, or just the one subject?

Can you not ask the uni you want to do the diploma with - surely they will understand that overseas degrees are not completed in the same way and therefore don't have major/minor subjects, but are single subject disciplines? :nah:

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but your 3 year degree might count towards some credits for a suitable Aussie 'top up' qualification, perhaps by doing some units ata uni or distance learning you could get the full points for a full requirement? I'm not explaining that very well - sorry. What I mean is - from my PGCE I got some credits towards my Masters because I got nominated for Merit award, not just a pass, and since then I've done a research Literacy course which also gives me credits towards my Masters, so altogether I've got enough credits for 3/4 of a Masters - I just need to do I think two more units at the uni to get my full Masters now. So the 3 year degree you already have might give you something towards what they want, and the transcript of the course will help them to work out exactly what you have and what you still need to do. Does that make more sense now? :D

Guest m.jephcott

Thank you for your help. I have already tried contacting some of the Universities but they seem to be equally confused and my University in the UK is most unhelpful. I will keep on to the Universities here I cannot be the only person who has wanted to do this, perhaps I'm talking to the wrong people. Good luck on your masters.

Guest cbeeb

THey do not do pg dip for primary education only high school, the masters might be an option Flinders uni does it, if you have transcripts send(copies) of them to uni, and ask what options are. Otherwise try teachers registration board for wht you need to be able to register.

Guest Becster19

I did my Dip Ed in New Zealand and I sent all my documents to the uni and they then evaluated what modules I had taken and then what subjects I could teach in NZ. Try getting hold of the person in charge of International Admissions as they will be used to evaluating degrees from different countries and may be more helpful. With primary I wouldn't have thought your major/minor subjects would be important.

Guest m.jephcott

Thanks all for your help, I have been in contact with Flinders Uni and they have suggested a Bachelor of Special Education, so as soon as I have the relavant papers from the UK I will put in an application