Jobs

Guest dempseys

Guest dempseys

Hello,

Is anyone having difficulty transfering their trade to OZ?

Allthough I got 60 points for being a building surveyor, the job is different in OZ. Further more I will have to complete a degree course to be recognised in my profession over there at a cost of $9,000.:arghh: plus I will have to start as an assistant at a lower wage.

My fiancee will be looking for some part time work as we have a 14 month old son. Has any one looked into the child care costs and availability?

Thanks

Guest macu68

Don't give up, you just need to talk to someone who knows about visa's. There are visa's that recognise your trade without a formal qualification ?(time served), could be a TRA may even be a 176 or 175, i think you need to have worked in same profession for 2 years, but I don't know that much about visa's. I have found the immigration website quite confusing, there are help booklets that you can download to help you. Have you been on the immigration website? www.immi.gov.au The South Australia government website was a bit more user friendly, can't remember name, just google it. Good luck to you all, we are at the beginning of our application, hope to see you all out there in 2008.

Guest dempseys

Hi,

we have been accepted, and are in the final stage of our application using my profession, however from contacting SA uni, speaking to companies and employment agencies everyone is saying the same. There is plenty of work for building surveyors although the role over there is more building control. If that makes any sense!!

So to be competent over there I need their qualification. I can enrole this month on the course and start it via distance learning. just frustrating as we have been accepted because of my profession and now i have to do a course to get a job.

I have noticed your in Liverpool aswell, i didn't realise there were any scousers on here, where about are you from?? did you attend the emigration seminar at the marriot a few months ago??

Guest dempseys

hi,

we have actually been accepted and are in the final stage of our application using my profession. However after contacting SA uni, speaking to companies and employment agencies everyone is saying the same which is that there is plenty of work for building surveyors but the role over there is more building control, if that makes any sense!!! so basically for me to get a job as a building surveyor i will have to get their qualification, i can do the course long distance, but just a little frustrating as we have been accepted through my profession yet i have to do a course in order to get a job, not to mention the money!!! anywys we have noticed that you are in liverpool aswell, didn't realise there were any scousers on here, where about are you? did you go to the SA emigration seminar at the marriot a couple of months ago?

Guest sarahsmartiepants

just frustrating as we have been accepted because of my profession and now i have to do a course to get a job.

Thats the way it is over here I am afriad, they give you a visa because they want your trade and in a lot of cases they make you jump through hoops to get a job when you get here. Dont feel special because you are on the wanted list. They just want your head count and tax when you do get a job! As you will get one because if you dont you are stitched! Having said that I wouldnt go back to the uk!

I know of gas fitters getting visas and then cant get a job because they are not plumbers, aircraft engineers that cnat get a job because they are not citizens, you wouldnt think it happens but it does!

Most people need to re train and/ or get licences!

sarah

Guest macu68

Hi Dempseys

We didn't know anything about the marriot, how did you find that?? We went to the expo held in Manchester in October/November last year, we had to pay admission of 15 pounds each. In 2006 I went alone and it was free to get in, there was no more information in 2007 to validate the fee. We went really to see if we could find a trade for Tony, he works with mobile cranes, he is an AP (Appointed Person) and we have found it hard to find his Oz equivalent, but no luck. If you are interested in attending I am not sure if they have done London yet but I am sure they will be back in Manchester later in the year, probably too late for you then website is expo-australia.com might link you with something useful.

Are you going to the NW meetup? We are hopefully going, just depends on what i am working. Do you have kids? How old? Do you know where you want to settle? Do you have a house to sell? If sold how did it go? We are about to put ours up for sale, that is the only thing that we think may hold us up, if we don't sell we don't go. We are originally from Huyton, we had a home that we could have sold ten times over no problem, we are now in new house in Kirkby that we think might take a while to sell. We really do want to go to Adelaide, want to be there by end of year latest. Hope to see you 27th.

Guest dempseys

hi there sarah!

just glad that we have done a bit of research ourselves while we're still here instead of arriving there expecting to walk straight into a job (wishfull thinking hey!!) still very suprised just how helpfull everyone has been when enquiring bout jobs. are the working hours similar to uk, such as 9-5 ?

cheers

macky

Guest dempseys

hiya!!

the marriot seminar was advertised in the echo and was free!! as we were already going through the process we found that we were already aware of most of the information, but still good. our first house together was in kirkby, whinberry drive just of bewley drive, but then moved to childwall to be closer to my family,we were lucky and sold just before the everton fiasco although that took a long time and we had to rent it out and we also had to drop price! our agent told us that we were likely to get our visa through feb/mar so that was the date we worked with,so when our application was sent in sept we decided to put our house up for sale as houses in the area where taking a long time to sell, but luckily have sold it alot quicker than we thought, now we're living like squatters at my mums. we have a 14mnth old which is our main reason for going. how do your kids feel bout going, is everyone up for it?? have you been to adelaide before? gutted we can't make the meet-up we're going away 24th would have been great to talk to others and to find out if anyone is as scared as me ha ha!!!

take care

macky

Guest macu68

Hi there again

We are all looking forward to going, our 14 year old wants to go but does not want to leave her friends and family. I am sure once she is in Adelaide she will settle in no problems, we think it is just because it is unknown to her. I (Mary) have been to Adelaide in 2005, I was a student midwife then and I arranged a 3 week visit with a nurse educator in Adelaide at the Women and Childrens Hospital there. I loved the climate and lifestyle, I was there end of April begining of May. The weather was mild with an occasional warm day. I stayed with the family in Gilberton, which was nice, not far from CBD. They looked after me really well, I couldn't have planned my spare time better. Have you been anywhere in Oz? If you have how did you like it? I have an Aunty in Brisbane but we don't fancy the tropical/humid weather. We are going to Adelaide for a lifestyle change.

We were thinking of going to Oz last year, considering Melbourne but don't fancy the city lifestyle and the cost of living is higher there. I got scared last year and that is what stopped us, i began thinking of all the family we would leave behind and all my work mates and then kept thinking what if it was the wrong decision. Now we think if it is the wrong decision we know what we would be coming back to, we don't think that we would ever come back to live. Tony has wanted to leave UK for years, he would go anywhere. We live off Shevington Lane so the Everton cock-up shouldn't affect us. We are hoping to go as soon as we sell our home, we could stay with Tony's mum but there is 5 of us, short term it would be ok. Are you all happy to go? Shame you will miss the 27th Jan, I don't know how often they have the meet-ups. Good luck with your Adelaide journey and hope to see you over there in 2008.

Guest cunnah10
Hi Dempseys

We didn't know anything about the marriot, how did you find that?? We went to the expo held in Manchester in October/November last year, we had to pay admission of 15 pounds each. In 2006 I went alone and it was free to get in, there was no more information in 2007 to validate the fee. We went really to see if we could find a trade for Tony, he works with mobile cranes, he is an AP (Appointed Person) and we have found it hard to find his Oz equivalent, but no luck. If you are interested in attending I am not sure if they have done London yet but I am sure they will be back in Manchester later in the year, probably too late for you then website is expo-australia.com might link you with something useful.

Are you going to the NW meetup? We are hopefully going, just depends on what i am working. Do you have kids? How old? Do you know where you want to settle? Do you have a house to sell? If sold how did it go? We are about to put ours up for sale, that is the only thing that we think may hold us up, if we don't sell we don't go. We are originally from Huyton, we had a home that we could have sold ten times over no problem, we are now in new house in Kirkby that we think might take a while to sell. We really do want to go to Adelaide, want to be there by end of year latest. Hope to see you 27th.

Hi Gang we are just down the road from you lot in Maghull(hubby grew up in huyton).got 4 kids aged 3,7,8 & 10(just 1 girl).Been browsing on this site for ages and just started to join in!It's a brill site!Great idea!We will be going to the "meet up" on 27th jan(be our first time for us)so looking forward to meeting everybody then!My Hubby also scored the 60 points as a TELECOM ENGINEER only to find out on our recent trip to Adelaide that this trade was not actually recognised as such.Came home very deflated and very worried as we had assumed 60 points scored they must want him and there must be plenty of jobs!That wasn't the story!Anyway we are still planning on getting there by this summer all being well and hubby will either have to go on the equiv ozzie telecom course to be accepted for jobs in that trade or plan B just have to try very hard and keep fingers crossed that he gets lucky asap as we have 4 hungry kids to keep feeding etc!House going up on market soon.Waiting for date to go for medicals and send off for police checkd then hopefully just sit back then and wait for our visa to arrive! And then panic!!Where do you hope to settle?We will prob stay in the south,got a few areas in mind!

Have you been out to visit?

Gill

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gang we are just down the road from you lot in Maghull(hubby grew up in huyton).got 4 kids aged 3,7,8 & 10(just 1 girl).Been browsing on this site for ages and just started to join in!It's a brill site!Great idea!We will be going to the "meet up" on 27th jan(be our first time for us)so looking forward to meeting everybody then!My Hubby also scored the 60 points as a TELECOM ENGINEER only to find out on our recent trip to Adelaide that this trade was not actually recognised as such.Came home very deflated and very worried as we had assumed 60 points scored they must want him and there must be plenty of jobs!That wasn't the story!Anyway we are still planning on getting there by this summer all being well and hubby will either have to go on the equiv ozzie telecom course to be accepted for jobs in that trade or plan B just have to try very hard and keep fingers crossed that he gets lucky asap as we have 4 hungry kids to keep feeding etc!House going up on market soon.Waiting for date to go for medicals and send off for police checkd then hopefully just sit back then and wait for our visa to arrive! And then panic!!Where do you hope to settle?We will prob stay in the south,got a few areas in mind!

Have you been out to visit?

Gill

Hi Again!Sent last message after reading the message you had written before!If that makes sense!I now know that you have been out before and that you are a midwife!I too backed out a few months ago!panic set in!But after long indepth talks with my hubby i have agreed that i will go out now if nothing else for 3 years on our temp visa until we get permanent!I am mainly doing it as many others for our 4 young kids!The UK is going down hill rapidly and i wonder what it will be like in 5/10 years! hard enough now bringing the kids up and keeping them safe!My main concern is leaving my beloved elderly parents who will never make the journey out there!They are absolutely devastated that we are going and not have their beloved grandchildren in their lives and be able to watch them grow up!I am dreading the day of saying goodbye not knowing if or when i will see them again!This is the reason i backed out a few months ago!But i have to stay strong and focused for the children as i know if we don't at least go out and try it then we will never know if we made the right decision!I would hate to live with regrets and what ifs!Don't think my parents will ever forgive me though!Very hard to cope with but i'm one of many people going through the same emotions and it has to be done(just wish it wasn't so dam hard)

Keep in touch

Gill

Guest macu68

I know what you mean about saying goodbye, my family are all originally from Glasgow and still live up there apart from my brother in Germany. Tony's family are all from Liverpool and we will miss them loads, especially the kids, and I know that his Mum doesn't want us to go because she will miss us but wants us to go to give our kids a great life experience. It is a hard decision, it has helped me to focus on the positive by thinking of all the benefits of emigrating and not to think too much about what and who we are leaving behind. My Mum doesn't want us to go but wants us to go to give kids a better life as well. You are right, living in UK has changed and our kids don't have the life they should have, we seem to pay tax for everything 3 times over (car tax, road tax, council tax, income tax etc etc) and have to work all hours to provide something decent. We are leaving for similar reasons. At least we are all being brave enough to get up and give it a go, better to go out there and hate it and return than to live with what if's. When and if you ever decide to return you know what and where you are returning to and you have given your family a great experience. I expect there will be times when we will all get upset and miss everyone here and wonder if we made the right decisions, we will all get through it. I am sure you will meet lots of people who are in similar situations and don't want to leave family behind.

It will be great to see you all at the meet-up, see you there.

Guest dempseys

hi mary,

think the majority of people on here will be going through the same mental torture, one day moving to australia seems like a such a good idea, the next it's just too scary to even think about it!! wish i was like mark he's always wanted to go and is counting down the days (even bought a bottle of champange for when the visa's come through!!) we travelled around australia for 5wks a few years ago ( i wasn't that keen on going as it was a place that never interested me , only to love the country and the people) we went everywhere BUT adelaide which is probably why im so nervous. just have to keep thinking about aaron growing up in a better country that england right now. if australia was the same distance as europe i'd be gone tomorow!! it must be some comfort to you that you have an aunty in brisbane, i know it's not down the road but still. i forgot to ask what stage are you at with your application?? are you taking your daughter to the meet up to put her mind at ease?

take care

macky, mark and aaron