Motor mechanic wage/vacancies

Guest suttons

Guest suttons

Does anyone have any recent information regarding Motor Mechanics positions. We are hoping to arrive in Adelaide in the next 3 months or so, and wondered if anyone has any idea of current wages for a highly skilled Technician (Porsche, BMW, Rover) and what the job market is like at the moment

thanks

Ian

Guest ebstar

Hi Ian, We are moving over next week. My oh is a highly skilled mechanic with full training on:vauxhaul,Rover,Range/Land Rover,Jaguar,Aston Martin to name a few. He also has years of experience in classic restoration. Having this background makes it easier to get a job and from what i understand they are still pretty desperate for mechanics. Hours are 8.30-5/5.30 and the top end salary for a skilled mechanic in Adelaide is around the $50 mark. If you go via a dealership they do seem to give a yearly tool allowance. What area are you looking to move to? Do you have a preference on what you would like to work on? Just a little something to think on,we had a quote for airfreight on oh's tool box (just top box with basic tools) and it was £800. He has decided to put the most expensive few tools in the cases and spend the cash on buying a few there while we wait for the shipping to arrive.

If you think of anything else we will be happy to help although it may take a few days as things are pretty hectic.

Good luck

$50 P/H ?

Have you had this in writing, are you sure your not confusing this with a contractors rate?

Mechanics the world over are one of the worst paid trades.

Solitare are always advertising, based in Mile End. (range rover, Aston but mainly VW Audi)

German Motors is another.

The Ferrari's are south east of the city.

Tool Box 42 inch top and bottom $1000 - very cheap, most are $3000. (Super Cheap Auto)

Guest lippy

OH was able to borrow tools from workmates until his arrived from the container, not sure if that was part of the agreement though as he had the job before we left the UK. Snapon etc are also available here.

Hi Ian,

I think that $50k is a realistic amount for your trade and I can see that you are a family of 5. I guess what you need to look at is how this figure compares to you current UK salary. As a PR, which I think you will be, you will be entitled to some rent assistance and other benefits which will obviously increase you income.

I know that some people here have been amazed at the price of things like grocerires, electricity and gas, but you can be sensible about your shopping ie not necessarily shop in one place. I buy my fruit/veg from the central market when I can (this might be easier for you if your wife is not working). I buy my meat at a wholesale butcher in Mile End, near the city and I buy extra when the 2 for 1 offers or half price offers are on.

In my opinion its all about the what if !!!! You will probably be worse off financially but there is no need for you to be in debt and as things change, your kids get older etc you might be better off. Also you need to try and cut down on travelling time to work which will in turn save you money on fuel, and you might even be able to get away with one car.

If I compare my life now to when I lived in the UK I would honestly say I am happier. I am not rich and I dont have lots of disposable income at the end of each week but I spend more time with my children and less time at work.

If you are in a position to come over mortgage free then you are laughing but its a struggle wherever you live.

IMO and I would give it a go, without any promises, and see if you can manage. Selfishly if you come I will keep a good friend for a bit longer........but think long and hard and look through all the info you have been sent.

You are lucky to know someone here who can tell you the truth !!!!!! But you are the only one who can actually decide.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Karen

Guest bishop3912

Thorpe1 - yr right u can get yr bills down by shopping around I take the 3 main supermarkets & do one each day, OH does the fruit/veg/meat wholesalers up by him, mind u at mo Foodland got good deals on meat that beat wholesalers lol.

Thorpe1- love ya (she's a very good friend indeed) xxx

Mick&Shan - yr right it's not all abt the money but it helps lol. Being in the trade yourself do u think that $50k is an average salary for a top mechanic or is this a lower end scale?? (sorry thought I wld ask this so that Suttons might get more info for when they wake up lol) We been out here nearly 4 mths now & r struggling with the cost of living in general :-(. & yes we done our research b4 we came & OH earns more than $50k ;-)

Suttons - love u guys (they r my bro&sil) xxxxx

Guest lippy
I was going to say if its $50 per hour get me there number :D

Ive been here nearly 4 years now as a Mechanic and I was disapointed with the rates of pay for a mechanic :shocked: but its not all about the money.

There would be a stampede!! if you get half as much you're doing well....

Guest suttons

thanks Karen, we are trying to weigh everything up with the information that Coz has given us, I guess we know that we wont have as much income but obviously we dont want to be really struggling, hopefully the figures will all work out.

Shona xx

Guest BurgessFamily
I've been here nearly 4 years now as a Mechanic and I was disapointed with the rates of pay for a mechanic :shocked:

Isn't that just wages in general (excluding the 1000s in mining) for South Australia?

You are definately right there Burgess Family !!! And the recent drip in the Jobs doesnt help the rate of pay.

Most Mechanics I know are trying to get jobs up the mines for a better rate of pay.

When I first got here my rate of pay for a 2IC (foreman) mechanic was less than someone stacking shelves in a supermarket :realmad:

I must have gone wrong somewhere :goofy: lol

Guest BurgessFamily
You are definately right there Burgess Family !!! And the recent drip in the Jobs doesnt help the rate of pay.

Most Mechanics I know are trying to get jobs up the mines for a better rate of pay.

When I first got here my rate of pay for a 2IC (foreman) mechanic was less than someone stacking shelves in a supermarket :realmad:

I must have gone wrong somewhere :goofy: lol

Maybe you should have a change of profession - every thought of becoming an MP? surely easier on the old back, and you only have to turn up for work a handful of days a year. ;)

Guest Jack Frost

Hi

I was a technician for 23 years in England and have been here for 7 months. My wife got the aussie visa with her job and I am currently staying at home with the kids, looking to start up with my own business in Oct 11. Having looked at some jobs I think you would easily get a job and the figures of $50k a year are about right. Its great here and we are loving it, but I think its best to come with your eyes open, the cost of living is definitely higher and the current exchange rate gives a unrealistic view, I feel you are better going off a 2:1 ratio, therefore a salary of $50K would be on a par with 25 grand a year in the UK. Good luck with all :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest It's Time

Adelaide 50/hr not likely Ferrari maybe 35 Benz 30 the worst paid trade in Oz most getting 21-25 at dealership and worse in some places time we made a stand to get at least 30 across board to make a future of the trade 30 of 100 charged if time fair a lot not keen on union but maybe time to give a go and get numbers up.