Hairdressing and barber jobs

Guest gabby65

Guest melissa and darren

Hi Gabby

I wonder if you could help me. We are on our way to Adelaide within the next 6 months and my 16 year old son wants to be a hairdresser. He is actually doing 2 weeks work experience in a salon at the moment and is trying to get a saturday job.

I would appreciate any advice at all on the matter, he will have left school by the time we come over and will be 17 in Nov. We have a hairdresser in the family who had advised that an apprenticeship or combined salon/college route is best, rather than just a full time college course.

Does your company offer apprenticeships at all? Any advice at all would be wonderful, as he wants to be a hairdresser passionately and is worried that moving to Adelaide will scupper his chances.

Melisssa Collison (on behalf of Josh)

Guest gabby65

At the moment we are not loking for apprentices ,has we have only just taken on 2. But in 6 months time you never know. Has for apprentices the best way is to get a job and then you go to college one day a week and that is a 4 year apprenticeship.

Good luck in the future and hope to hear from you again

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mariang
Hi my name is Gabby and i am salon director to the Bermuda Chain and we are currently looking for hairdressers and barbers.

Hi just seen your message. Wished I had carried on with hairdressing. Gave it up when I was 22 [now 40]. Funny how apprenticeses change, I didn t fancy being a junior and did mine fulltime at college where we also had to do barbering and wig making. Afer 2 years I worked in a salon for 4 years and what crap pay [probably why I gave it up] Now, even here the pay is better. Worst of all it is a wanted trade in australia now.

Hope you find someone....

Hi Gabby

Our friends arrived in Adelaide on Wednesday. We are in regular contact with them by telephone but obiuosly they are not on-line yet. She is a hairdresser and will be looking for work very soon. If you want, you could PM me your number and I will pass it on.

Trisha

Guest diane paul and the kids
Hi my name is Gabby and i am salon director to the Bermuda Chain and we are currently looking for hairdressers and barbers.

Hi,i'm a hairdresser,and will be arriving in Adelaide on May 14th,and will be settling in the woodcroft area.I have been a hairdresser for 22 years and do both men and women,and will be loking for work soon as we arrive,Diane.

Guest diane paul and the kids
Thank you for replying Diane when you arrive in Adelaide you can contact me on Tel No: 82985880. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for the reply,i will do that

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ya

I think we have spoken/ writen via another post. My other half is a great barber and works in a very funky barbers and the wages are very good here in the Uk.

Can I be cheeky and ask what a barber could earn in Adelaide? and do barbers get tip like in the Uk?

Thanks in advance

Tina. Hope to see you in July (visa permitting):jiggy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

No tips here I am afraid, I get the odd few, but only from pom clients! I am a hairdresser though, but think barbers are the same. I know someone who was looking to open a trendy barbers shop up the east side of the city I will find out if he still is.

sarah

No tips here I am afraid, I get the odd few, but only from pom clients! I am a hairdresser though, but think barbers are the same. I know someone who was looking to open a trendy barbers shop up the east side of the city I will find out if he still is.

sarah

Thank Sarah, its nice to know there are places he can work. Been trying to find out how much barbers get paid for ages but so far can only find pat awards for hairdresses.

Thanks again

tina x:D

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:we are hoping to be accepted into adelaide within the next few weeks:biglaugh:i trained as a hair dresser when i left school in the late 80's worked in a salon then free lance, i am at present doing a diploma level 3 to boost my confidence with fashion styles for the moment , how is the employment situation in adelaide salons ! are there vaciences for older stylist or do they tend to go with college leavers, or apprentiships ???(ps. im not that old yet!!):D

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Most places want Part time casual, so if thats ok for you then you will be ok! I got offered a few pt time jobs and am old enough:biglaugh:. But I have always kept up as I have worked through out after training in the early 80s! Get a "p".d off when someone says to the girl I work with "will she know how to do it" I usually answer I think so only been doing it for about 25 yrs!!!!!

As for award rates that is waht you will get more than likely unless you find a generous boss

sarah

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks for replying , its a great help to know there are positions out there, my other half is jumping with excitememnt saying he can retire and fish all day !!! (wishfull thinking) How long have you been in adelaide ? any other tips or advice would be gratefully recieved

Guest emma nic

Hi there!

Are there plenty of jobs for hairdressers in Adelaide? I have a lot of experience and have recently been teaching in a local college over here in the uk. Can I be cheeky and ask what the average hairdressers wage is over in Oz?

thanks Emma.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi there!

Are there plenty of jobs for hairdressers in Adelaide? I have a lot of experience and have recently been teaching in a local college over here in the uk. Can I be cheeky and ask what the average hairdressers wage is over in Oz?

thanks Emma.

As a casual it is just under $19 an hour, if you are permanent it is less.

sarah

Ps if you have the quals to teach look into teaching here they need some good teachers I would think, wish I did the teaching quali after i did the advanced hairdressing qual!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
to Sarah I was under the impression that this advert was mine not sarah smartiepants so stick to your own site not mine
OOOOOOHHHHH so sorry!!!

I was under the impression the the thread was on an open forum, where someone asks a question and someonw answers it? I was there...so I answered it...didnt see your name at the top to answer only!!!

You might have started the thread, but it doesnt make it "yours", threads always go off on a tangent, thats why they are called threads.

And if you think about it answering another hairdressers question isnt exactly going to get me any business is it??? Which incidently isnt my reason for answering...it happens to be something I know about and can help with.

sarah

Oh and what is my own site?? Please let me know as I didnt know I had one!

Guest emma nic

Hi Sarah

Thank you for answering my question, I do seem to have put the cat amongst the pigeons don't I ??!! Useful information, my husband and I are considering starting the application process, but are also planning to come over there on holiday as well. We really like the look of Adelaide, can't wait to see what the place is like!

Thanks very much again,

Emma

Gabby,

Sarah is quite right. This is a public forum and she is within her rights to reply on it. Also as it is a public forum putting your phone number for all to see is maybe not the best thing to do. There are some dodgy people out there that might 'have fun' with it.

I would suggest if you wish to pass your number onto people then please do so in the form of a private message. Not only does the person you want have your name and number, I do, Sarah does and anyone that has a computer has access to it.:shocked:

Pete