Teaching - primary

Hi I was wondering if somebody based in SA could advise about the current job market. I am led to believe that it isn't bad and that teachers can earn about $300 part time. Am I correct in thinking that I can't start applying for jobs until I am in SA? If there is anything I could do from the UK, could people pls advise. Is it also true that permanent posts are not very popular?

We have just had out 176 visa approved. However our main worry is how long it wil take us to secure jobs. My husband would be loking for building work, but he is prepared to do anything initially.

Thanks Karen

Guest Adelaide_bound

You will need to do your First Aid and Mandatory (Child protection) training before you can teach in SA, these are both one day courses, but you need the certificates before you can register with TRB, and then register with DECS, so you can't really get a job before you get there (I'm sure someone on the ground however might know if this is actually what happens in real life, or whether in practise you can get a position 'pending First Aid/Mandatory').

Can I ask what you mean by $300 part time? A Day? (Would love to know - I was working on the basis of nearer $150 -200 a day).

Sorry I'm not in SA at the moment, but have done loads of research on this, so thought I'd give you a start :)

Best of luck :)

Guest Nick11

Depends on how long you have been teaching. Scale 9 is the top for relief and it is about $340 a day.

I used to do relief..but have left teaching now. It can be a bit hit and miss. Fall lucky and you may earn a good wage...don't get the brakes and you're in big trouble financially. A lot of schools have their own group of relief teachers and it is pretty much a closed shop. You register with clusters of schools For example I was on the relief list for all the schools around Woodcroft, Happy Valley etc for over 2 years. In that time I got 1 phone call , whereas the cluster group for Christies was quite busy....but there is a reason for that!!! You normally only visit that school once!!!! I bet you can guess why!!!!

There are no permanent jobs around Adelaide...you need to go to the country for that. Again..there are reasons why!!!!

Guest Adelaide_bound
Depends on how long you have been teaching. Scale 9 is the top for relief and it is about $340 a day.

Seriously?! :eek: How much do you have to log to go up a scale Nick? Is it one a year/one every two years? Or is it calculated differently, ie to do with results or PM or something? :idea:

Hi thanks for your thoughts. I absolutely love my job and I am very good at it, so I would be quite miffed to venture into another profession. I suppose I will have to work hard and prove myself when we set foot on SA soil. I was wonderign about emailing schools and seeing if they need a teacher and highlighting that I already have a visa from the state. Is that pointless?

Also, this might be a silly question but why is there a lack of permanent posts as this can't be good for the children.

Thanks K

Guest Adelaide_bound

Also, this might be a silly question but why is there a lack of permanent posts as this can't be good for the children.

Thanks K

Because they had a big drive for teachers a few years back and now have loads and loads of qualified teachers (like here!)

Guest Adelaide_bound
Oh just wondered if the scale I am on in the Uk has any bearing on the scale I would begin on in SA?

questions, questions!!

Yes it does - but not sure exactly how :nah: (hence my question for further clarification from the helpful Nick - our insider mole :P)

Guest Nick11
Seriously?! :eek: How much do you have to log to go up a scale Nick? Is it one a year/one every two years? Or is it calculated differently, ie to do with results or PM or something? :idea:

I'm not really sure to be honest. I had been teaching for 17 years and had the equivalent of 14 years full time. You have to fill in forms and get proof of how long you have taught. I used my teachers pension as evidence. It took a long long while to come through and a lot of chasing!!!!

For some reason I have 6 years in my head..but I may be wrong and it could more.

Interesting thing on Leon Byners 5AA radio prog last Friday morning .................. 103 vacant teaching jobs advertised in SA ............. 1800 applicants! Might be worth seeing if there's a podcast of the interview. Seems there's an oversupply of teachers at the moment. One caller to the prog was a Pom phoning on behalf of a friend, also a Pom, who came over here under the impression there were jobs galore for teachers and can't get anything, and will in all likelihood have to go back to the UK as she cannot fulfill her visa requirements.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Seems like a good time for an enforced career change then - at least I can blame it on there not being any jobs rather than me wanting to bail on teaching. They did say there was a massive massive shortage here though, with up to 800 or something stupid applying for Primary positions - as a Secondary trained and experienced teacher it took me about 5 attempts I think to get a full time perm job in a primary, having turned one job down already - I had only done a year or so on a temp maternity contract in primaries and some day to day supply - and its not like I'm the best teacher ever or anything (close, but not the best :biglaugh:), so I think its swings and roundabouts - like anything in life, have a back up plan if your dream isn't available and you'll muddle on through :)

Guest Adelaide_bound
I'm not really sure to be honest. I had been teaching for 17 years and had the equivalent of 14 years full time. You have to fill in forms and get proof of how long you have taught. I used my teachers pension as evidence. It took a long long while to come through and a lot of chasing!!!!

For some reason I have 6 years in my head..but I may be wrong and it could more.

Cheers Nick, will see what we see then - bit of a pain though as for two years I wasn't in TP as it was private school and the other was through an agency (long term supply) and I'm opting out now as need to cash for the move....grrr. Will just have to make sure I get letters from all my schools before I go etc.....

Guest Nick11

Wow 1800 applicants for 103 jobs..would have thought it would have been more tbh!!!

There will be a massive shortage of teachers in 10 years time..it's just what to do in the mean time.

Personally I was very disallusioned with the whole teaching thing..having worked in schools in special measures . It has took me 4 years to realise that there is more to life than teaching and to get off my backside and retrain. I am now looking forward to a much brighter future.

x

I remember a lady that used to post on poms a few years ago who was a teacher and she really struggled getting work and as a result it made the 'emigration experience' very hard and people were quite negative towards her struggles. I certainly think in the time I have been posting on poms there has been a real shift and people are now willing to listen to the good and the bad parts of emigrating and starting a new life.

I am not a teacher but have had some very interesting work experiences and at times have felt like I was aged 16 again and back being an office junior in terms of the work I was doing, but I have pushed on and gained aussie qualifications and embraced the changes and different workplaces I have encountered, not always easy but it makes for an interesting life story, my aussie friends tell me I should write a book ha ha.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jennet

any ideas what the positions are for college lecturers, i teach animal care in further education in england and i am happy to do the same job or a career working with animals :confused:

Hi I was wondering if somebody based in SA could advise about the current job market. I am led to believe that it isn't bad and that teachers can earn about $300 part time. Am I correct in thinking that I can't start applying for jobs until I am in SA? If there is anything I could do from the UK, could people pls advise. Is it also true that permanent posts are not very popular?

We have just had out 176 visa approved. However our main worry is how long it wil take us to secure jobs. My husband would be loking for building work, but he is prepared to do anything initially.

Thanks Karen

I was recently talking to a relief teacher (he could not secure a permanent job) and in 4.5 years of teaching he had worked at 100 schools and had had enough. He said he had young children and now wanted a job with a regular income and wanted to move out of teaching.

I was recently talking to a relief teacher (he could not secure a permanent job) and in 4.5 years of teaching he had worked at 100 schools and had had enough. He said he had young children and now wanted a job with a regular income and wanted to move out of teaching.

Hi thanks for your thoughts, after thinking long and hard I've decided I will try extremely hard when I come over as I love my job and as it is this career that has given us the gateway to Australia it seems a shame for me to have to give it up. I suppose I am lucky as vefore I went into teaching I was a Marketing Director and have a quite a bit of experience in this field also. I'll have to ensure I sell myself and have bags of perseverance!!!

Cheers Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest natstar

You will first need to get your authority to teach from the teachers registration board. If you want to teach in Public schools you need to access this site
http://www.teachinginsa.sa.edu.au/a8...p=home&id=jobs
. Scroll down and you will see the numbers of TRT schemes. These schemes allow you to do relief teaching in most of the schools in Adelaide. On this site you will see temporary and permanent jobs appear. Look at the school context statements of each school on the site
http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/locs/
. Schools are determined by categories. A category 1 school means there are a high proportion of children who require government assistance, a category 7 school is a school where a low proportion of children do not require goverment assistance. The categories may/ may not be a reflection of the complexity of the school.

One of my friends has just returned from Korea, he is an Australian and has only been teaching for 2 years. He has basically had full time work relief teaching. The TRT schemes are the best start and canvas local schools in your area once you move

Guest The Broadheads

I'm currently waiting for teacher registration. Last month there were jobs advertised for recent graduates only(apparently the first time this has been done) and for a position near me in the Woodcroft area, there were roughly 900 applicants! The head at my children's school said that a friend at a "very difficult to staff" school in Elizabeth had over 200 applications for the position there. It seems scary, but then again a friend of mine who is doing relief at the minute around the Woodcroft area has said there is a huge amount of work. The whole permanent issue here is another matter because the system is totally different to the UK (I went to a meeting a few weeks ago to try and shed some light on this area and I was sat next to a lady who had been in the teaching system here for 20 years and she came out saying her head was a shed!! No hope for me then! hahaha).. Everyone will tell you that it's about who you know. I've been volunteering at my children's school while waiting for my paperwork and have been asked to let the head know as soon as I am registered to work so if you are able to get your face in somewhere, hopefully it should pay off.

Wishing lots of luck to everyone :wink: xxx

Thanks natstar, super info, i'll have a good look. Also, Broadheads, yep that's my plan too - to volunteer and get my face known around the schools. I also thought about dropping my CV off to some schools in April, when we come on a visit. Has anybody any thoughts about this - is it worhtwhile? or no use until I'm over permanently?

Guest natstar
Thanks natstar, super info, i'll have a good look. Also, Broadheads, yep that's my plan too - to volunteer and get my face known around the schools. I also thought about dropping my CV off to some schools in April, when we come on a visit. Has anybody any thoughts about this - is it worhtwhile? or no use until I'm over permanently?

You can drop your CV's to the TRT schemes,These are metropolitan relief work schemes:

[TABLE=width: 545]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%][/TD]

[TD=width: 15%][/TD]

[TD=width: 35%]Hills TRT Booking Scheme[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8391 1562[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Noarlunga Basin TRT Scheme

[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8382 3266 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]PeninsulaTRT Scheme [/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8240 1394 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Salisbury TRT Scheme [/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8266 7402 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Southern TRT Scheme [/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8326 8239 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Tea Tree Gully TRT Scheme[/TD]

[TD=width: 15%]8395 1575

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

but individual schools may put your CV to the bottom of the pile, as they try and look for people they can get straight away. Government metropolitan teaching jobs have just come online

http://www.teachinginsa.sa.edu.au/jobsearch/

Guest Bagpuss1974

Hmmm i've just found out I can only apply for a state sponsored visa to SA as a Primary School teacher (It is the only state doing sponsored visas for teachers!!) On their list it states there's still high availability for these visas in this profession - is it me or is that a bit on the odd side if there's not the jobs????

Sorry if sound daft but am new to all this!!!!

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hmmm i've just found out I can only apply for a state sponsored visa to SA as a Primary School teacher (It is the only state doing sponsored visas for teachers!!) On their list it states there's still high availability for these visas in this profession - is it me or is that a bit on the odd side if there's not the jobs????

Sorry if sound daft but am new to all this!!!!

Just the way it goes (ie everywhere always apparently has a teaching shortage, but it seems they don't really on the ground from my experience - having said that I've also never really struggled to get a teaching job anywhere, whether there be a shortage or not by all reports) - there is a bit of a need in SA overall probably, just not in Adelaide or Metro areas - more in the boon docks. Teaching seems to always be one of those things that are generally poorly staffed - perhaps something to do with it being a 'woman's job' and we tend to go off and have babies, which interrupts employment levels at times and can give wonky figures (which is probably what they go off, not what the actual situation is).