HGV License

Hi, we are looking for some advise, we are moving over to Adelaide ( Port Noarlunga ) early November and hubby holds a UK HGV driving license, has anybody had any experience of transferring to an Austalian equivalent?? We know you have to take a test to gain the license, but any other info i.e where to go to do this and costs etc., would be gratefully received!!

Many Thanks , Stef

Guest Asil

A google search may help you better, but a few of the training centres are located around the Northern suburbs. One or two are run by poms, cost is around $1000 for basic HGV, MR (medium ridgid) The big money is in the B Doubles (double artics) or Road trains.

There's lots of work for drivers, so re-sitting the licence is a good investment. Some drivers who stay out all week are on very good money, over $100K P/A. Not what you want on arrival, something to look at though.

Guest RichandHelen

Cant take MC licence until you`ve held south australian HC for over a year. Isnt worth taking B double licence if you just want local work they only pick up an extra couple of bucks an hour for all the **** you have to put up with. I havent bothered . Nearest to port noarlunga is prob Allan Miller in Edwardstown.If hubby is experienced and has driven road rangers before you could prob do training for around 1200 bucks to swop licence over.

Rich

Guest mike b

I have a class 1 HGV licence from uk. At a service sa centre you can get a tempory provisional paper licence which lasts for a period of time not sure how long. subject to a driving assessment you need to complete a full week of driver training/ assessing. Not like uk with one test at the end progression and tests as you go. i used Alan miller driving school at lonsdale. if you can register for citb construction you might be eligable for a rebate i had a rebate for $1000 out of a $1400 bill.PS driving isuzu roadrangers is a headache if you've been used to coasting around in new style scania's,man's etc, thankfully i had experience with these which helped.

Guest mike b

glad to be of help. a nice bunch of guys, will walk through the gearboxes well worth it if you,ve not spent anytime on these as mosty trucks are pretty old, any more info required just pm me.mike

Guest jonny no cash

Hi, I've done 12 hours training so far and reckon I need 6 hours more to complete the logbook,The driving,reversing side of it is quite easy compared to the UK but the roadranger gearbox nearly broke my heart after being used to driving brand new trucks back home,to get a learner permit you need to go to a service SA centre with your UK HGV1 licence and get a section 80 permit which is valid for 30 days so book the course first then get the permit a couple of days before,I would advise him to bite the bullet and do a full 20 hour course,the cheapest will be around $85 per hour but there is plenty of jobs advertised for drivers so it does seem worth it,ask the drivers on here for more info they always give good advice,bye and good luck Ste

Hi its been a couple of years since i done my HC, resat my test with G&L Training at Wingfield ,owner is an ex pom also booked four hours training and done the test straight after for around $800 as stated above get your section 80 a couple of days before.

enquires@gnltruck.com.au

Thanks for all the replies i am actualy a truck mechanic but want to do my test to increase my chances of getting a job as well as something to fall back on ,i passed my uk class one in 91 in a leyland roadtrain and the wrecker at work is an old erf with a roadranger type gearbox so hopefully i should have not to many problems .

again thanks for all the replies