newly qualified electrician questions!

Guest orlaandjoe

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey everyone! My partner will be just qualified as an electrician before we move to SA next year (I am the main applicant on the visa). He was wondering how does he go about getting his licence to be able to practice as an electrician when we arrive?:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the requirements for ARTC ( Australian Recognised Trade Certificate ) he may need further on-site experience before he will be granted one, lots of variables though.... Even though you are the main applicant he will still need his skills recognising in order to get the A Class Electrical license.

Good luck,

Jon

hey testit!

thanks for your reply!so does that mean he needs to get his skills assessed before we go to oz or when we get there?

Makes more sense to do everything in the UK whilst you are still earning. You will need to do the ARTC and the wiring rules at PEER so complete your ARTC then if you pass you can get the wiring rules shipped out via correspondance.

Bear in mind the wiring rules alone are not enough to get a license, you must pass the ARTC too. You may want to hold off on the wiring rules until you know youve passed the ARTC.

Thats what I did anyway and was the best way of doing it around 18 months ago...

Makes more sense to do everything in the UK whilst you are still earning. You will need to do the ARTC and the wiring rules at PEER so complete your ARTC then if you pass you can get the wiring rules shipped out via correspondance.

Bear in mind the wiring rules alone are not enough to get a license, you must pass the ARTC too. You may want to hold off on the wiring rules until you know youve passed the ARTC.

Thats what I did anyway and was the best way of doing it around 18 months ago...

Hi yes this is still the best way. Will depend on how much experience you have though. If I remember right you have to show you have been in the trade for 4 out of the last 5 years if you did an apprentice or 6 out of the last 7 without one.

Guest orlaandjoe

he will be just newly qualified in jan as an electrician following a four year apprenticeship..he prob won't get his papers for another few months after this. Am I right in saying that he will need his papers prior to being assessed by the ATRC? Thanks a million everyone for all the replies!

Yeah you will need all these kinds of documents for the ARTC... Qualls, OH&S certs, JIB card if applicable and shed loads of info about what he's been doing on site for the last 4 years. You will also need to get all the originals photocopied and sent as certified copies.

he will be just newly qualified in jan as an electrician following a four year apprenticeship..he prob won't get his papers for another few months after this. Am I right in saying that he will need his papers prior to being assessed by the ATRC? Thanks a million everyone for all the replies!

Guest duggy281

Hi Testit,

New on here. I have gone down Vetassess route and got a tra certificate is that different to ARTC?

If so how do I go about doing ARTC in the uk.

Any help and info will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Duggy281

I cant tell you what the difference is. When i did it, Vetassess was just needed to get a visa, Aussies in Australia still didnt know what Vetassess was!! Thats why I started fresh and did the ARTC then wiring rules course after my visa was granted. You get your ARTC from TRA if i remember right.

Clear as mud!

BTW, you will find info about ARTC on the TRA website and you can do it all from the UK.

Hi Testit,

New on here. I have gone down Vetassess route and got a tra certificate is that different to ARTC?

Cheers

Duggy281

Hi Testit,

Cheers

Duggy281

Hi, Vetassess does not give you a TRA cert it gives you an OSTR (which you need to get the visa) which with this and wiring regs course means you have to work as a trades assistant for 12 months.

If you dont want to do that you can apply to TRA and get the ARTC cert. This with the wiring regs course = no working as a trades assistant for 12 months. You get your A class licence straight away.

You can apply to the TRA from the UK but the wont post the cert to you in the UK, you get that when you get to Aus. Cost $300

You can enrol at PEER for the wiring regs course from the UK to start the course via distance learning. They will accept any applicants as long as you hold a OSTR or a ARTC cert. Cost $1500 approx.

Once you have a ARTC cert from the TRA and the wiring regs cert from PEER its straight to energy safe and get your A class.

Guest duggy281

Hi there is it possible to get the ARTC in the uk?

If so do you know how i start this.

Are you in Australia which state?

Looking at moving to Adelaide south Australia

As soon as our house sells fingers crossed it's soon.

Dean Dugdale and family.

Hi there is it possible to get the ARTC in the uk?

If so do you know how i start this.

Are you in Australia which state?

Looking at moving to Adelaide south Australia

As soon as our house sells fingers crossed it's soon.

Dean Dugdale and family.

Hi, yes you can apply from the uk.

Go on the TRA website and look under ARTC and it explains and you can download the application form aswell.

Just had a look it says on the website you have to be

An eligible Australian resident.

Did you apply in the uk ?

Sorry to keep bothering you.

You need a VISA first so yes you do have to be eligable to live and work in Aus.

You need the Vets OSTR to get the visa but once you have this you can apply for a ARTC from the UK or Aus.

Guest duggy281

Cheers for your help.

I have my vets otsr and my visa.

Do they post to the uk or can you do it all

Online. Sorry to keep bothering you but you

Are the first person I have contacted with answers

That make any sense.

Cheers again.

( I owe you a cold beer)

Cheers for your help.

That make any sense.

Cheers again.

( I owe you a cold beer)

No worrys,

If you go into the ARTC application form and read the first page it says you can apply from the UK. Save that form to your PC and fill it in. When you get to the end you can complete that form and it will give you a CC payment option and a reference number. Clicking on this lets you pay by CC and gives you a receipt to attach to the application. You need to post all of the application form and your supporting evidence of to TRA (use a courier company like DHL and not the post office as this way you can track it all the way). When the TRA receive your application they issue you a TRA reference number and you can use this to moniter your application online. Once succesfull you will be issued a letter to say you have passed but will have to wait untill you are in Aus to get your cert.

You can register with PEER from the UK if you have the OSTR to save some time and start the distance learning books. Just look up PEER Adelaide and it has all of the contact details. They will help you rejister and after paying out $1500 near enough send you all the books and your distance learning coursework. When you know when you will be landing in Aus book in for the weeks course and again as long as you pass you get your wiring regs cert.

Guest duggy281

Hi does anybody have any contacts for peer in Adelaide.

I have been trying yo contact a lady called kate (kate@peer.com.au)

But don't seem to be getting a response.

I have also tried (peertecoperations@peer.com.au) but that just keeps coming back.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dean and family.

Hi does anybody have any contacts for peer in Adelaide.

I have been trying yo contact a lady called kate (kate@peer.com.au)

But don't seem to be getting a response.

I have also tried (peertecoperations@peer.com.au) but that just keeps coming back.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dean and family.

Hi,

Try Rebecca@peer.com.au swell.

Usually pretty quick at getting back to you.

Guest LynseyB
Cheers for your help.

That make any sense.

Cheers again.

( I owe you a cold beer)

I think this is the most helpful thread I have come across because the electrician route for licencing seems really confusing and contradictory in other threads. A few quick questions if you have the chance?

As long as you have the Visa granted it does not have to be validated before you can apply to Peer?

Also, even though you don't hold the ARTC yet but it has been passed (because still in UK), you can still apply to PEER?

The charges for PEER seem quite steep. Does anyone know if it is cheaper in Oz when you get there?

Thanks for the info guys

I think this is the most helpful thread I have come across because the electrician route for licencing seems really confusing and contradictory in other threads. A few quick questions if you have the chance?

As long as you have the Visa granted it does not have to be validated before you can apply to Peer?

Also, even though you don't hold the ARTC yet but it has been passed (because still in UK), you can still apply to PEER?

The charges for PEER seem quite steep. Does anyone know if it is cheaper in Oz when you get there?

Thanks for the info guys

Hi,

No the visa does not have to be validated you just need the visa.

To get on the PEER douse you need either the ARTC or the OSTR. You will have the OSTR from vetesses.

Not sure about the charges. I just want to get the distance learning part done from here so I have swallowed the cost. Possible though as I have heard on other threads if you belong to a body/union you get a percentage of. Never looked into it though so have no idea who they are.

Hi,

To get on the PEER douse you need either the ARTC or the OSTR. You will have the OSTR from vetesses.

Not sure about the charges. I just want to get the distance learning part done from here so I have swallowed the cost. Possible though as I have heard on other threads if you belong to a body/union you get a percentage of. Never looked into it though so have no idea who they are.

Jusr read up on the above reference charges and its the CITB you have to join if you want discounted courses/training. From what i have read though you have to be in Aus and working to be able to do this.

Guest LynseyB
Hi,

Great thanks. Just totting up all of the costs not budgeted for and was hoping could get it cheaper but if it means most can be done here in UK when hubby is earning then thats best.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Maria Day
I cant tell you what the difference is. When i did it, Vetassess was just needed to get a visa, Aussies in Australia still didnt know what Vetassess was!! Thats why I started fresh and did the ARTC then wiring rules course after my visa was granted. You get your ARTC from TRA if i remember right.

Clear as mud!

BTW, you will find info about ARTC on the TRA website and you can do it all from the UK.

Hello, this sound a bit worrying. Hubby got the skilled visa 176 granted as electrician by using Vetasses early this year and it is fully recognised by TRA. He also finished doing electrical gap training so it will help him find job easier (we hope)! hopefully all he have to do is get a white card when we get there. It would be very upsetting if he will have to do it again after all the hard work he's put in it. How is electrical jobs doing in SA?