Job Loss Figures

Hi

Just heard on the news update on the radio that 1600 people lost their jobs in South Australia last month. South Australia has the second highest unemployment rate (behind Queensland) in Australia.

I lost my job in June, so guess I was included in the figures from the previous month!

I know a few people have posted recently saying they have been made redundant. While I don't think the job situation is as worse as the UK there are people over here losing their jobs, it might just not be reported as much, I think the Government may want people to think things are perhaps better than they are.

Having said that, my partner works in IT and got a new job within 2 weeks, so some sectors are still in demand.

Guest jasongd

Hi,

Usually a jump in the unemployment figures in one month has mitigating factors, Like a contract finishing or a factory or plant down scalling or closing.

Jason

I know where i work we are scaling back too. I work in automotive and nearly all of our customers around the world are slowing down production, and until the exchange rate reverts back to normal we can't win new business as we're too expensive.

I wouldn't say it's dark days ahead, but certainly a bit gloomy.

Unemployment has risen nationally, with Victoria hit hardest (14,000 lost jobs there last month - the biggest hit in eight years). Many jobs reverted from full-time to part-time or the figures would have looked far worse. July is usually when unemployment falls because jobs get filled at the start of the new financial year, so although the unemployment rate isn't high (5.1% nationally, up from 4.9%, and at 5.3% in SA) it is unusual for it to increase at this time of year. I'm not sure what it will take for us to see an interest cut ...

Jim

If you look at the building trades they have slowed down my son is a apprentice bricky his boss did not have any work for 4 weeks and there are a lot more out there that have not worked for a lot longer than that. The results for new housing is not looking good fewer houses being built less people taking out mortgage it all has an knock on affect.

Guest Jane & Tony
Hi there dnt think its a case of putting anybody off its more a case of telling it like it is.....better that way than painting a picture of its all great then you get here to a nasty shock.

HG

Very true. At least we'll have our eyes wide shut! Just a bit scary to hear all that when we are so close to coming. I dare not tell the OH.

Make friends and build your network pretty quick the more people you know out here the more people can keep a look out for any jobs going....just ask anyone on here we ARE all here to help people settle, but its a big commitment and does take bloody hard work.....

but your not alone when you get here you have all of us..and there is alot of members on this forum.

HG

Guest Jane & Tony
Dnt get me wrong tho its not all nasty here...once you settle and get used to it you will either love the way SA is or not...no-one will think any less of you if you dnt like it and go back...least you had the nads to give it a go...not like alot of people who talk the talk back there in the UK....

HG

Crikey!! You've made me fill up with your last reply (really, not being sarcastic) That's really kind. I know what you mean about the 'nads' tho'. If I hear 'I don't blame you' or 'If I was younger' or 'Don't you have to have a lot of money?' one more time, I will seriously loose the plot!! JUST BLINKIN@ DO IT!!!

OH Mum, Dad and Sister have been there for 20 years now and if they can doo it I'm sure we can.

Thanks HG hope to 'have a few' with you when we've got sorted

I think everyone is different and I personally feel it is down to your attitude andapproach when you get here to starting a new life.

When we emigrated my partner had never been to Australia before and he had worked for the same employer for 8 years in an IT role since leaving Universitybut we both totally embraced building a new life here and he absolutely lovesit here and is now in a more senior role than in the UK with better pay/perksand greater job satisfaction.

On the other hand we met a couple over here and the husband was a similar ageto my partner, he had worked for the Government in IT since leaving school andthey lasted 3 months out here, they could not adjust and cope with the changeand he went back to his old job in England.

Two people, similar age, similar work history, experience and qualifications,yet two very different experiences.

As recent figures suggest a new life in Australia is not for everyone. In the last financial year 15,555 people emigrated from the UK to Australia, but in the same financial year 7,127 British migrants permanently left Australia.

Guest jasongd

Hi,

I really like this post,

I think settling can be down to a great deal of things like luck and also as you said your attitude to things diffrent.

Jason