is it pointless going to Adelaide?

Guest irishalec

Guest irishalec

I'm a Irish carpenter hoping to head to Adelaide in October with my wife and daughter, we are just in the process of buying our airline tickets, but i'm getting so much negative feedback about the work climate there i'm wondering is it pointless going to Adelaide?

I'm a Irish carpenter hoping to head to Adelaide in October with my wife and daughter, we are just in the process of buying our airline tickets, but i'm getting so much negative feedback about the work climate there i'm wondering is it pointless going to Adelaide?

sorry but its hard to say if its a waste of time, there have been many that have come here when work situation was stronger and still not found work. The Construction company I work for has enough work and are busy to a point, some firms are busy some are quiet and laying off, housing is getting quiet compared to a year or two ago but you would not believe it when you see all the houses being built. What i have learnt since i got here if your any good there is work out there if your willing to make the effort. No one can be arriving thinking they have the right to work. Sorry can not answer your question any other way

Guest tosher

I'm not a carpenter but a painter ... it has been quiet for about 5-6 weeks, but it is winter, as I remember the UK was just the same, Feb was dead for work. In the last 3 weeks things have picked up again generally talking to the carpenters on site. I would recommend anyone to move over here. We have been here for 5 years and love it. Good luck whatever you decide.

If you are arriving in October I would suggest looking for work the minute you arrive because once it starts to get into November things will slow down. You will need to obtain a white card before you can work on construction sites, so get this set up straight away or it will hold you back. When I worked on a construction site we used Civil Train

http://www.civiltrainsa.com.au/training-courses/white-card.cfm

Nov/Dec/Jan are generally the worst times to be looking for work as a lot of places close over the Christmas period as this is the kids 6 weeks school holiday period, so just keep it in mind and I would suggest making sure you have money to cover this period as a precaution.

You need to remember that everyone has a different migration experience some will find it easy to get work, others will struggle. I work in HR/training/admin fields and I have had a mix of the good, bad and ugly experiences when looking and gaining work, however my partner works in IT and he has had a dream migration work experience, absolutely no problems getting work and works at a higher level and on a higher salary than in the UK.

It can be hard getting work in Adelaide as it is definitely a 'not what you know but who you know' culture and this can be hard when you first arrive and don't know anyone.

Guest irishalec

thanks for your replies...i cant see how building would slow down for three months especially when its summer, i can understand it closing completely at christmas and new year...but i'll be looking for work prior to leaving and the minute we touch down

Guest Squareman

I always say the same thing to questions like these. Adelaide is a city of over 1 million people. It is NOT a 'small country town' as some would suggest. If you are good at what you do and you put in the effort, you will be fine. There are always opportunities for people who excel at what they do.

Guest Damien

Sites pretty much shut down completely in Jan. This is down to a variety of reasons, slabs aren't poured when it's hot, the window manufacturers stop making windows as they don't store any stock, tradies take their holidays etc. It's totally different to the UK when summer is busy. Sites slow down to a creep in the summer - it's too bloody hot to work! The financial climate is pretty bad at the mo too, most of my bricky mates are out of work or changing careers. Yes there is construction work going on but bear in mind most of these builders are old Aussies with a list of contacts as long as your arm.

Don't want to sound all doom and gloom, just being realistic. You might get lucky and find work straight away. You might not. There hasn't been a bricklaying job in the Tizer for months...(I know you're not a bricky but you know what I mean). Just be prepared to not find work until February.

Good luck with it all, you may get lucky like me,

Damo

thanks for your replies...i cant see how building would slow down for three months especially when its summer, i can understand it closing completely at christmas and new year...but i'll be looking for work prior to leaving and the minute we touch down
Part of the learning curve...........building is normally busy nov dec, to get things done before xmas shutdown.BUT....no one will take anyone on because of the impending shutdown. Is Adelaide worth it?......thats up to you.

Sites pretty much shut down completely in Jan. This is down to a variety of reasons, slabs aren't poured when it's hot, the window manufacturers stop making windows as they don't store any stock, tradies take their holidays etc. It's totally different to the UK when summer is busy. Sites slow down to a creep in the summer - it's too bloody hot to work! The financial climate is pretty bad at the mo too, most of my bricky mates are out of work or changing careers. Yes there is construction work going on but bear in mind most of these builders are old Aussies with a list of contacts as long as your arm.

Don't want to sound all doom and gloom, just being realistic. You might get lucky and find work straight away. You might not. There hasn't been a bricklaying job in the Tizer for months...(I know you're not a bricky but you know what I mean). Just be prepared to not find work until February.

Good luck with it all, you may get lucky like me,

Damo

Window manufacturers take a slow down only because most tradies are away and the big builders arent advancing there projects, hence no demand for windows. Oh...and ive found that wear the right clothing and hat and drink plenty of water summer is no issue to work in.

[Oh...and ive found that wear the right clothing and hat and drink plenty of water summer is no issue to work in.

You need to work harder then Smit! lol ;)Spent a fair chunk of 41/2 years on site or working outside and was surprised how acclimatised you get,... it was generally only the english left on site working in the hot weather( made of sterner stuff..lol)................spent the past 8 months in office though!......got poofs hands now!!

..i cant see how building would slow down for three months especially when its summer, i can understand it closing completely at christmas and new year

Your asking for advice, and dismissing advice given. It's hot, things slow down (late novemeber wind down - feb look at starting). It's school holidays, people take time off. Add a soon to be recession and things will be very quiet soon. Yes if your good at your job you will find work, but if you cannot find a job to prove your a good worker then you will struggle.

There's always work to be had, just the pay varies.

I don't envy anyone trying to make the trip at the moment.

But Australia is a big place.

Guest Damien
You need to work harder then Smit! lol ;)
Spent a fair chunk of 41/2 years on site or working outside and was surprised how acclimatised you get,... it was generally only the english left on site working in the hot weather( made of sterner stuff..lol)................spent the past 8 months in office though!......got poofs hands now!!

Yeah I know what you mean. I had big knarled brickies hands, then started my job in Fisheries. The first time I had to check the crays at a processors my partner (a girl!) said 'you need to wear gloves, the spikes hurt'. 'No' I said, 'I was a bricklayer' (in a condescending way). Anyway, that was a Friday, the next Monday I was still in pain. The next time we checked the crayfish I wore gloves! Then another new starter came out with us, he was a mechanic. I told him to wear gloves, he said no. Next time yep you guessed it, 'can I borrow your gloves mate'!

Poofs hands indeed. And you're right about the poms, we were def the only mad dogs working in the heat! The locals hate that sun!

Also at the end of January there is a public holiday (26 Jan Australia Day) this is also usually the last week of the school holidays so the same thing happens here as in the UK and people take leave because it is a 4 day week.

I finished in a job on 8 December and did not get work until 2 Feb. When I got work this was working on a construction project in a Project Administration role, but the start date was delayed by 1 week because it was too hot for the work to start and they were waiting for it to cool down before work started. So even though I was going to be in an air conditioned porta-cabin on site this still affecting me.

Guest Guest5035

Poofs hands indeed. And you're right about the poms, we were def the only mad dogs working in the heat! The locals hate that sun!

The locals don't hate the sun.....they love the pub!!

stevo