Where are all the jobs - Graphic Design??

Guest jomasey

Guest jomasey

I obtained my skilled visa for Adelaide as Graphic Designers are on the job shortage list. I presumed there would be plenty of jobs for me when I got here. I have been living in Adelaide now for 5 1/2 months now and have probably applied for about 3 jobs as that is all there has been! I am working as a designer - but it is not the type of role I would normally do as it is too junior for me and the money is not good. I just want to know where all the jobs are and I have been mislead. It is a very frustrating situation to be in. Does anyone feel the same way? I feel very desperate!

Also does anyone know if I can start my own business on the skilled visa? I don't think I am able to - but it seems to be the only way out of this. I had my own business in London and I am itching to challenge myself here.

Oh - and if anyone knows any jobs going - or needs any design doing - please let me know!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jo

Hi,

I no nothing about design or design jobs im afraid, but I think you can start a business on a skilled visa, depending on the type, I will be going on a SIR495 and know I can start one if I want.:)

Simon

Guest jomasey

thanks for your advice. I have since found out that I can be 'self employed' rather than own a company. So I'm going to look into that. Good luck with your move and starting your business! It's all fun!

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I like you feel frustrated beyond measure. I am not in Graphic Design but am a teacher. So far, teachers jobs are in short supply unless you head for the sticks which I am unwilling to do with a family trying to settle into life on the other side of the world. Getting a job in a private school is hard to do unless you are connected or attend church.

I just want to do the job I am trained for. And it is very frustrating that I can't do that...

Libby

Guest jomasey

Hi Libby

It sounds like you feel pretty much like me! I was expecting things to be a bit easier. It must be a lot harder for you as you have a family. It is just me and my fiance so our we are only responsible for ourselves. I know a couple of other teachers who have struggled and it surprised me as I thought there would be lots of jobs for teachers here - or that's what I was led to believe. I keep on being told it is who you know - not what you know. I've been told that 'networking' is the key, so we are meant to join every club and social group going! So frustrating!! Anyway - I wish you luck in getting a job and if you need anyone to talk to I'm here!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I dont know too much about graphic design here, but my brother has his on business in the uk and I can tell the difference between "home made" and the proper job. Unfortunatly here, the "home made" is what most businesses go for. Flyers, business cards etc, done by what looks like a 4 yr old with power point. I have no doubt if you had enough money to see you through the bad times while starting up, you could make a killing with the real thing. Thats if you could get them to change their ways. For example, have you ever looked at the Bumnnings catalog that comes through with the junk mail???

sarah

OK I know this is a silly question but why are these jobs on the 'Australia needs you' list there aren't the vacancies?

How many people have come here after being told their job skills are been cried out for only to find no job vacancies? I would've thought if Australia was desperate for people to fill these skills then there would be plenty of vacancies.

The 'Australia needs you' list seems a little misleading to me.

Guest jomasey

Hi Sarah....

ha ha! I love the comment about the junk mail - really funny - made me laugh out loud. I know exactly what you mean about the 'home made' look. It is really frustrating. We don't have the money yet for me to start on my own yet.. but I we are going to work hard at getting it. It is hard enough just getting furniture and starting life from scratch.. as everyone here understands! Thanks for your encouragement though - it means a lot. Hopefully I will be injecting some style into adelaide design soon enough! - Jo

Guest jomasey

Hi Di - you couldn't have said it better! I feel a lot of this is misleading as the government tries to up the population so bends the rules on the 'shortage list'. It might be good for them - but not for me! I feel have put myself and others in a difficult position by doing this.

Jo,

I do feel for you and others that come here expecting to find a job with ease. Our move here was very different, my hubby joined the RAAF so had a job to start as soon as we landed, the disadvantage is we don't get a say where we live and we move quite a lot but we're use to that as the military has been our live for 17 years now (as a married couple) and 26 years for my hubby.

Guest wayneandlindsey

Hi Jo

We have literally just joined this forum based on reading your plea for help! We completely understand how you feel and your frustration and panic. We emigrated in November and were told that not much happens on the job front around the christmas period - a bit of an understatement!

I am a graphic designer and Wayne is a web developer, so back home we had our own business.

I am trying to keep some contacts in the uk to do work for but again not sure if this allowed on the 495 visa.

There are very few jobs advertised for either of us - maybe we should start a print and web design company here and make a difference!!!!

Good luck

Lindsey

OK I know this is a silly question but why are these jobs on the 'Australia needs you' list there aren't the vacancies? .

Because the vacancies are not necessarily in Adelaide!

I think of all the threads I have read (I read, but don't often post!), this has got to be one of the most useful. IMHO.

I'm not sure if the government deliberately mis-lead people or not, but I think it is useful to consider whether 'your' job exists where you want it to (ie. CBD, further out or way, way out!), whether the wage is what you need it to be, and whether your qualifications will hold good when you arrive.

:wubclub:LC

Guest jomasey
Because the vacancies are not necessarily in Adelaide!

I think of all the threads I have read (I read, but don't often post!), this has got to be one of the most useful. IMHO.

I'm not sure if the government deliberately mis-lead people or not, but I think it is useful to consider whether 'your' job exists where you want it to (ie. CBD, further out or way, way out!), whether the wage is what you need it to be, and whether your qualifications will hold good when you arrive.

:wubclub:LC

Hi LC

I can see what you're saying - I would have thought that through skills assessment that my qualifications would mean something here - and I have searched all of SA with no jobs coming up - so it is a difficult one. I just presumed that as there was 'a shortage' that there would be enough jobs to go around for everyone. I wonder how a profession qualifies to go on the 'shortage' list! Would love to know how it all works! I spoke to a lady the other day who used to work in skills recognition and she said she because frustrated with the fact that she was unable to help people because of the lack of jobs available. All she could do was 'wish me luck' Also the other day I heard a girl who called up the radio station saying that she was studying graphic design at university - but most people had dropped out as they discovered there weren't any design jobs going in Adelaide. I feel mislead!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi LC

I can see what you're saying - I would have thought that through skills assessment that my qualifications would mean something here - and I have searched all of SA with no jobs coming up - so it is a difficult one. I just presumed that as there was 'a shortage' that there would be enough jobs to go around for everyone. I wonder how a profession qualifies to go on the 'shortage' list! Would love to know how it all works! I spoke to a lady the other day who used to work in skills recognition and she said she because frustrated with the fact that she was unable to help people because of the lack of jobs available. All she could do was 'wish me luck' Also the other day I heard a girl who called up the radio station saying that she was studying graphic design at university - but most people had dropped out as they discovered there weren't any design jobs going in Adelaide. I feel mislead!

This is South australian immigration I am afraid! You are not the first and wont be the last! I know someone on SIR visa as a gasfitter, he couldnt get a job as one when he arrived as you also need to be a plumber in most cases! Fortunatly for him the SIR changed and he didnt have to work in the trade he come on. He wasnt the only one and gas fitter isnt the only trade. In my trade, hairdressing, there are loads of jobs, but most of them are part time and casual, ie when the salon wants you!

As I mentioned earlier decent graphic design and advertising isnt high on the list for businesses here, they would rather do it them selves on publisher!

Good luck again,

sarah

• 1 month later...
Guest skellysgirl

hi i am a graphic designer in the uk , i am a partner in a small agency and hoping to start applications pretty soon, is it really that bad ?

How much is the wage for a GD is it enough to live on, if you cant get a job what are you doing now?

Do you think it is just a matter of time before attitudes change and the industry starts to catch up with the rest of the world?

i am a little worried by this now

Guest jomasey
hi i am a graphic designer in the uk , i am a partner in a small agency and hoping to start applications pretty soon, is it really that bad ?

How much is the wage for a GD is it enough to live on, if you cant get a job what are you doing now?

Do you think it is just a matter of time before attitudes change and the industry starts to catch up with the rest of the world?

i am a little worried by this now

Hi there

I don't want to put you off making your application as you may find things to be different, but I also don't want you to think that there are a lot of work oppotunities here. I am working at the moment - but it was difficult to get the job and it is not a good job. I am designing yellow pages adverts!! I am degree qualified with 11 years experience - so you can imagine how I feel. I was working for myself in London and I was successful - so it is frustrating! I am getting 54k AUD - which I am told is a good wage for the job I am doing. I suppose it is enough to live on (but only because my partner is earning too) - but I have a big mortgage so I struggle (but that is my choice I suppose - as we could rent). It all depends on how much you want to live in OZ. I am planning to try and stick it out for 2 years and then move to Sydney where there are loads of design jobs. Another idea is to become self employed in Adelaide as there is plenty of work - but you would have to go and find your own clients (I am considering this as I have found out that on my visa I can be self employed as long as I work 30hrs a week). There are options - but you must expect to struggle - it is not as easy as getting jobs in the UK. Another thing is that if you can do web design - you will have more chance of getting a job - so if you don't do web you could consider training in it now - so you are ready when you get to Adelaide? Also log onto www.seek.com.au and search for design jobs in Adelaide - you can get alerts sent to your email - and you will be able to judge from there to whether you think there are the type of jobs you want and to see how often they come around - that may help with your decision? Also if you are thinking of moving - maybe contact companies before you arrive. What ever you decide I really wish you all the best and if you need any other info - just let me know. Good luck with it all :)

Guest deborah

I have just been contacting agencies direct and so far they have been interested!! I do worry though that once i get out there the jobs will no longer be there or i will have to travel. (Occupational Therapist)

I wonder if these expos are any good for making contacts with employers!