ATRC and PEER (hopefully) explained

The Whites

After reading many, many different posts on many different forums, i'm going to try and explain how it all works.

Firstly your VETASSESS is only done in order to get you the visa. It wont get you a grade A licence.

Once you have had your visa granted you can then apply to the TRA for your ARTC. It will cost you AS$300. You fill out the application form online and print it out. You then need to attach as much evidence as you can. Treat it as if the people reading it are inexperianced! This might include. References from current,previous employers, your employer you was with for your apprentership. Explaination of your role at work. Etc. People are saying the more you put in the better. Some have done 4 pages, some 50/60, and i read that one person had written 150 pages! So i'll leave it up to you. If you have supplied enough evidence you should get your certificate. If you havn't they will book a technical interview, where they will ask you a wide range of electrical questions. For more on this look at the British Expat Forum. Once completed they would send it to an AUS address. If you havn't got one they will hold on to it untill you arrive in AUS. If you've got a friend in AUS they could send it there.

Once you have got your ARTC you can then apply to PEER to do the AS wiring regulations. As far as i have read it appears to be like the BS7671 course. It will cost you AS$750 (i think off the top of my head). You will then need to purchase the books to revise with. These will cost you the same as the course. Once applied they will send you out a workbook to work through. This is like the british update course, ie find the reg number in the book and explain. There are people to contact if you need assistance. Once completed you send it back. You can then book the one day revision and exam for when you arrive in AUS. They do a exam every two weeks, so could be arranged around a holiday or during the first weeks of a move. The exam is apprantly just like the workbook and it is open book so you can take in the regs books. I have read that they will give you the result there and then, so that you can take the 15min journey to the Adelaide city office of the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs to apply for your license. You can then take this to any state in Australia and they will transfer it for you.

I hope that this covers most of it, i'll appoligise now if i have missed anything out.

Andy

Guest LynseyB

Great thread. This is just what we needed - one thread that explains everything really clearly. Doesn't seem so scary anymore (well for my husband anyway!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest duggy281

Hi Andy & Wes hope you don't mind me jumping in on this.

Where did you start with the write up you could basically go on for weeks explaining different aspects of this industry is that what they are looking for?

Ps great thread it took me weeks to find out all this until I came on here.

Cheers

Duggy281

Guest weshardy5

hi duggy, hope you read this also Andy.

i am holding back with my tra application at the moment.

i have been informed from my visa people that vetasess are in the process of making the skills assessment we did in London... a Australia recognised qualification. hence making it easier to get the a class licence. i only found this out cos i have been hassling them for my atsr which cost me 1800 quid and i don't have the paper work to show. OK it got me my visa but having to do the same thing again with tra is nuts. it does make sense that eventually vetasess will be that recognised standard for people emigrating.

oh and no need to pay more money.

just booked our flights tonight for recci trip

stopping in noarlunga. the esplanade.

any advice on places to go and see kids to meet up with mine 15 and 12, eating out social meet ups would be great. help anyone. thanks

wes rachel josh tyler

Guest duggy281
sorry arrive 12th november for 3 week.

would be nice to meet up with someone.

Hi Wes.

Cheers for the info, I am going to gry my ARTC ready to go just in case.

It's only $300 a drop in the ocean to what we have already spent jumping through all the loops.

Wish we could go on a recci.

Waiting for house to sell.

Have you done your ARTC report yet.

Not sure how much info to put into it.

Good luck on your recci. Keep us posted.

Ps any work in Manchester living in burnley and always on the look out for work.

Duggy 281

Guest duggy281

Hi Wes yeah small world

Working at bae warton at minute mate.

Not long left now what about you?

Are you keeping busy?

Duggy.

hi Duggy,

ha , i live in colne pal.

small world mate.

what are you doing for work then?

wes

Guest weshardy5

hi again duggy,

yeah pal i work for myself, i work a lot for companies covering maintenance. machine breakdowns etc.been ok this year.

when you thinking of going down under then pal.

have you got kids etc.

we have 2 with another on way.

have you any ideas on the area you may move too?

we are going on a recci in november.

****ting myself really. hope its the right thing to do etc, excited also pal.

hopefully it will fill in some blanks etc.

what you upto at bae then.?

wes.

Guest duggy281

Refurb job at bae. Working for an agency not good but needs must and all that.Out of work about 3 months ago for a few weeks so had to phone the agencies first time out of work since leaving school so not done bad but don't like agency work. Anyway enough of that.

Hoping to go as soon as house sells but housing Market not looking to good. Yeah 2,kids for now. Not sure on areas hoping to do a recci myself early on in the new year flights are not cheap though. A freind of mine as an auntie out in Adelaide in the north she says it's really nice and family orientated.Keep me posted on your progress mate don't worry about being the right thing to do think of the kids the will be nothing for them here in about 10 to 15 year they will thank you for getting them out of here to a better quality of family life.

Take care mate and keep me posted on your progress and recci.

Duggy 281

hi again

yeah pal i work for myself, i work a lot for companies covering maintenance. machine breakdowns etc.been ok this year.

when you thinking of going down under then pal.

have you got kids etc.

we have 2 with another on way.

have you any ideas on the area you may move too?

we are going on a recci in november.

****ting myself really. hope its the right thing to do etc, excited also pal.

hopefully it will fill in some blanks etc.

what you upto at bae then.?

wes.

Hi Guys, sorry i haven't replied recently, been on holiday and no wi-fi. Its great to hear the the Vetassess might be recognised by TRA. It does seem to be a waste of money otherwise. I'm still in the process of writing mine. I might as well do it as duggy said its only$300. If it changes then i'll just have another bit of paper.

The areas im going to cover are;

A statutory decloration about my current employment,

A reference from my employer while i was doing my apprentership,

About my time at college,

Explanation of day to day work,

Explanation of Part P, whats involved in being a qualified supervisor.

Im just going to woffle on about each one trying to cover as much stuff as i can.

Great news about booking your flight wes. i bet you cant wait to go.

If you PM me duggy ive got something that might interest you if you've not already got it.

My next thing to do will be to get on to Vetassess about being TRA recognised. Knowing my luck there will be a cut off date and ive just missed out!

Andy

• 1 month later...
After reading many, many different posts on many different forums, i'm going to try and explain how it all works.

Firstly your VETASSESS is only done in order to get you the visa. It wont get you a grade A licence.

Once you have had your visa granted you can then apply to the TRA for your ARTC. It will cost you AS$300. You fill out the application form online and print it out. You then need to attach as much evidence as you can. Treat it as if the people reading it are inexperianced! This might include. References from current,previous employers, your employer you was with for your apprentership. Explaination of your role at work. Etc. People are saying the more you put in the better. Some have done 4 pages, some 50/60, and i read that one person had written 150 pages! So i'll leave it up to you. If you have supplied enough evidence you should get your certificate. If you havn't they will book a technical interview, where they will ask you a wide range of electrical questions. For more on this look at the British Expat Forum. Once completed they would send it to an AUS address. If you havn't got one they will hold on to it untill you arrive in AUS. If you've got a friend in AUS they could send it there.

Once you have got your ARTC you can then apply to PEER to do the AS wiring regulations. As far as i have read it appears to be like the BS7671 course. It will cost you AS$750 (i think off the top of my head). You will then need to purchase the books to revise with. These will cost you the same as the course. Once applied they will send you out a workbook to work through. This is like the british update course, ie find the reg number in the book and explain. There are people to contact if you need assistance. Once completed you send it back. You can then book the one day revision and exam for when you arrive in AUS. They do a exam every two weeks, so could be arranged around a holiday or during the first weeks of a move. The exam is apprantly just like the workbook and it is open book so you can take in the regs books. I have read that they will give you the result there and then, so that you can take the 15min journey to the Adelaide city office of the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs to apply for your license. You can then take this to any state in Australia and they will transfer it for you.

I hope that this covers most of it, i'll appoligise now if i have missed anything out.

Andy

Hi Andy

My OH is just about to apply to ARTC, he's already completed PEER training. I have looked at the application form and its looks as if all we need do is send all the stuff that we did for Vetassess - is this basically what you did? Also, in terms of certification of the documents is the UK notary signature good enough? As we had all our stuff returned to us from Vetassess.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Tricia