Heavy rigid driving jobs + hourly rate

chrisfen46

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Benny Hill

do you know anything about RR gearbox or crash box....18 speed box. bit different from them girlie trucks they drive in Blighty I think current rate for HR driver is $8.50 per hour based on a 60 hour week. They have real men trucks here. Also a lot of the drivers take heaps of drugs to keep themselves awake...youll be great if you like drugs. Keep on truckin ....mother trukka

Guest cornish Busdriver

have you though of buses ?

hourly rates from $22 - $29 normal shifts, Saturdays around $35 - $40 and sundays $40 - $50.

Loads of work going but can be working some really horrible or awkward shifts but there is always lots money to be made on OT as well.

do you know anything about RR gearbox or crash box....18 speed box. bit different from them girlie trucks they drive in Blighty I think current rate for HR driver is $8.50 per hour based on a 60 hour week. They have real men trucks here. Also a lot of the drivers take heaps of drugs to keep themselves awake...youll be great if you like drugs. Keep on truckin ....mother trukka

Ive no interest in drugs but I can flick through a road ranger gearbox and strip and repair it as well,ex erf mechanic:biggrin:

but they can stick there 8.50an hour.

hourly rates from $22 - $29 normal shifts, Saturdays around $35 - $40 and sundays $40 - $50.

Loads of work going but can be working some really horrible or awkward shifts but there is always lots money to be made on OT as well.

Everytime you post about the bus driving ,you tempt me more and more ,It must be easier than fixing the things,could be a new live new job for me:jimlad:

$8.50 per hour for driving a man truck lol lol i get more than that in blighty driving a girlie truck...well matt think its bus driving for me.. lol

have thought about the bus driving as you sent me info on torrens transport , cant remember the fellas name but he did say to call him wheni get to oz

Guest Kazzarazza

With a name like Benny Hill you've got to be a joker right. People come on here for help and advice - not smartarsed comments from someone who's hardly written a helpful post yet.

To the OP, there are hundreds of transport companies around. Some of the bigger ones are Toll Transport, Linfox, Cootes, Kalari, Booths, Border Express, SET, Symons and Clark. Hourly rate would be nearer to $28.50 than $8.50 (you'd get more than that delivering the local Messenger newspaper, lol)

Drugs used to be a concern with long distance, interstate driving but are definately not a major problem these days with most companies having random drug and alcohol testing policies. Clocking up too many hours, without a break, is also less of an issue - most major highways have cameras that check not only speed, but distances and break times. Also, virtually all company trucks have GPS these days and Occ Health and Safety is taken very seriously. Like any industry you're alway going to get odd rogue employee but generally the transport industry has been cleaned up greatly in the past 10 years.

If you have a Dangerous Goods licence and/or are willing to work away (eg 9 days on, 5 days off roster) there are lots of jobs delivering to the mines that pay large amounts and usually include accommodation and meals. Check out the link below if you want to search out some company websites.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/listings?region=australia&showAllLocations=false&headingCode=29823&includeSurroundingSuburbs=false&visitedIAPages=1&visitedIAPages=2&visitedIAPages=8&visitedIAPages=10&referredBy=www.yellowpages.com.au&eventType=pagination&selectedViewMode=list&surroundingSuburbsModifiedByUser=false&visitedTMPages=1&sessionId=EB0BF979DC92DE17C2D62C0B6348DA84.11&stateId=5&context=businessTypeSearch&clue=transport+services&serviceAreaModifiedByUser=false&pageNumber=1&showAllCandidates=false&lruPageNumber=1&locationClue=sa&serviceArea=false&locationText=South+Australia&searchMode=type&tmPageNumber=1

Good luck.

Guest cornish Busdriver
Lots of bus driving jobs still up for grabs with Transfield, who recently won the contract from Torrens. They were advertising again in Saturday's job paper.

Yeah transfield has taken over my old depot so ive now moved to mile-end depot.

There gonna be realy short of drivers and screaming out for them, there actually offering a pretty good pay deal but still working out working conditions with the union.

All im gonna say is that the east west bus routes (torrens transit) are gonna run sweet as a nut but the Obahn and North South routes (transfield) could befacing some major problems as transfield is used to running trams and not buses and still hasnt got enough drivers, supplied drivers with uniforms or shifts yet. lol lol lol.

There shouldnt be any problems with southlink buses as none of the changes really affect them, but buses like the 287 / 288 that either changed into a 248 / 241 or infact any buses that changed direction when they came into the CBD are gonna be affected and passengers are gonna have to change buses instead of staying on the same one and follow on through.

Its gonna be quiet an exciting time to get into buses now as transfield are gonna be trying to make a name for themselves and torrens are re-grouping and building on what they have created and just gonna get better.

Do you work in the transport industry then , would love to here any advice you could give me on the RR gearbox and crashbox, driven 4 over 4s / 8 with a gate here in the uk . Used to work on open cut mines here in uk did so for over 10 yrs so have driven a few differnt trucks and machines.