Many i.t jobs in adelaide?

Guest DingDangDoo

Guest DingDangDoo

I have checked seek and other job websites, there does not seem to be alot of i.t jobs.

Why is it South Australia have lots of i.t occupations listed under their state sponsorship visa?

Am I missing something? Thanks guys. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BurgessFamily

Sounds daft, but just because they are on the occupation list doesn't mean there is a mass shortage. You should check if jobs are being listed for your skills, and go from there. That said, you only need one job. Just for reference, when i was looking in 2009, there were 700 IT jobs in Melbourne and only 11 listed in Adelaide - but I still came here as I had belief in my skills. :)

'I.T.' is a very general statement, depends on your skill set etc... I know of plenty of companies looking.

Maybe contact the agencies directly with your details including your visa status - I did and got a job from it!

A lot of focus around who you know (networking and linked in) as companies want to avoid the 10% fees from agencies.

Happy hunting :)

Guest ozdreamsa

Burgess family, I liked these part most:

"when i was looking in 2009, there were 700 IT jobs in Melbourne and only 11 listed in Adelaide - but I still came here as I had belief in my skills. :) "

Could you share the timeframe and share your experience about the initial job hunting?

Guest BurgessFamily
Burgess family, I liked these part most:

"when i was looking in 2009, there were 700 IT jobs in Melbourne and only 11 listed in Adelaide - but I still came here as I had belief in my skills. :) "

Could you share the timeframe and share your experience about the initial job hunting?

I kept checking the number of jobs advertised in my field of expertise (.Net / SQL / Web Developer) in multiple states 6 months prior to making the move. Mainly to see if there was a change in the market. We arrived mid 2009, and I had a good 4 weeks break while we explored. After that I wanted to start looking for a job, just to make sure there was one. :) To be fair there weren't too many jobs around at that time, but i did see one advertised and put in for it (was a bit of a step back for me, but I was happy to give it a go until something better came along). First job I applied for, and i got an interview. A couple of days later and I had my first job.

Prior to moving over the Adelaide, I'd been in contact with a local job agent - to help gauge the job market a little more directly than simply browsing the job sites. Only a week after I started my new job, the agent got back in contact with me and put me in contact with an IT company. I went to see then and was offered a job there too, moving 3 weeks later - and haven't looked back.

It does help that my knowledge is in .Net / SQL / Web etc... I find these skills are always in demand by someone, somewhere. I used to be an AS/400 developer (IBM I-Series), and if that was my current skill set, I wouldn't have been as confident in securing a job.

From my knowledge of the Australian job market, I would recommend sending your CV to various companies who you would be interested in working for - regardless of any job vacancies. If they like your CV, they may just get you in for an interview and go from there. I would also make sure the CV does it's job well - in recruiting staff since i have arrived here I'm shocked at the lack of effort people put into them.