Is it really hard to get a job???

emma&vas

Hi all,

Ive been pondering this question for a while now. We have not got a date to fly out yet because we are still trying to sell our house.

After reading lots of different posts i'm seriously worried about whether we are going to be able to get jobs. I'm a hairdresser (but would like to try something different!!) and my partner is in logistics/horticultur/irrigation.

I'm even thinking about going to a different state just incase. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Emma :confused:

Guest Squareman

Well, have you looked for jobs on sites/spoken to employers etc? There are over 1 million people in Australia and 95% of them are employed. If you put in a bit of effort, you will probably find a decent job. I flew over from South Africa TWICE to meet employers and network with people before a visa app had even been filled in. It paid off!

I think it depends what job you are looking for / what area you work in. I also think you need to have the correct mentality and be prepared to do anything in the meantime until you find a job that suits. I came here on a state sponsored visa as there was a shortage of people in my area and I have been able to secure a job no problem and likewise with my husband and other people I know.

I joined my professional body here long before I came over and made sure they had my CV on their register. One of my employers (I have since left) contacted me in UK after finding my CV on the register and offered me an interview in the week we arrived and I got the job.

As Squareman says you have to make the effort and network as much before hand and when you arrive.

Never give up!

Lots of luck

Lisado is right, the correct mentality and attitude is essential. I have had my ups and downs with work and I could write a book and a sequel on some of the sagas, but it makes for an interesting life.

I while ago I posted on here that the College I worked for had employers contacting us all the time with admin and office positions and these jobs were never advertised on seek or in the paper as they were interested in our students that had completed a course with us. The only criteria for me (I was in charge of this) to put you forward was you had to be a student. Usually I only put 1 or 2 students forward for the jobs so you were almost guaranteed a job and how many people do you think came to do a course..............zero!

Guest Clarky

Hi

What sort of courses do you run? Are they short admin type course and are they suitable for youngsters?

I've got a son of 20 who has worked in admin roles in the UK, but hasn't had any work here yet - only been 5 weeks though, I wondered if it might be worth considering for him.

In reply to the first post, like I say we've been here 5 weeks and there seem to be plenty of jobs advertised, but we haven't found anything yet. I'm an accountant and my OH is an electrician. I think you need to make sure you have enough money to get by and that will take the worry out of the job search. It is stressful until you find a job though, I hope we find jobs soon.

Trish

my mum is a hairdresser has been for years and there are many hairdressers here however mum has found it almost impossible to find fwork

however there are plenty jobs,

if u are lookng for a change, send ur cv to Hays Recruitment agency now, ask for rebecca cliffton and when u arrive she will help u find something, i had a job within the first week of being here :)

Guest loopylisa

I think it does depend alot on your expectations. I have been very narrow in my search i.e only looking for jobs in mental health that pay well enough and are at least on par or above where I am on the career ladder and have managed to secure three interviews in as many weeks and an offer for casual work(although details have not been forthcoming- thats the slow bit imho). Thats just my experience but i'm not at all worried about the job situation. I'd rather wait a bit for the right job.

Hi

What sort of courses do you run? Are they short admin type course and are they suitable for youngsters?

I've got a son of 20 who has worked in admin roles in the UK, but hasn't had any work here yet - only been 5 weeks though, I wondered if it might be worth considering for him.

In reply to the first post, like I say we've been here 5 weeks and there seem to be plenty of jobs advertised, but we haven't found anything yet. I'm an accountant and my OH is an electrician. I think you need to make sure you have enough money to get by and that will take the worry out of the job search. It is stressful until you find a job though, I hope we find jobs soon.

Trish

Hi Trish

I am not working in that position anymore. I used to run resume and cover letter writing workshops and I would say having a resume that sells yourself and your skills is very important in this competitive market. You need to capture a recuiters interest.

Hi all

Thank you all for your imput its been very helpful. I do look at the job websites all of the time but its different when your not there. Lisa's post looks a bit worrying about not being able to find full time work?? But i will definately have a look at hays rec.

Emma

Hi TrishI am not working in that position anymore. I used to run resume and cover letter writing workshops and I would say having a resume that sells yourself and your skills is very important in this competitive market. You need to capture a recuiters interest.
Thanks for your reply. I was considering getting my resume re-done, been here 7 weeks and not so much as an interview, although I haven't really seen anything that matches my skillset exactly - I'm starting to wonder what my skillset is! LOL :0)Do you have a sample resume that I could compare with? Thanks againTrish

Resumes need to be tailored to the type of job you are going for, it is a mixture of layout and content that is important. Recruiters will skim the information initially and if the resume grabs their interest they will read it in more detail. People in general underestimate the importance of their resume.

Is this query still in relation to your son getting a job or you?

Guest BurgessFamily
There are over 1 million people in Australia and 95% of them are employed.

Can't beat statistics, I never knew it was so crowded here! The 5% unemployment figure is calculated on the available workforce (e.g. excludes pensioners, long term sick, people in education etc...).