Best season/ month to seek employment

Guest ozdreamsa

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi

Just wondering if there is any month when employers start to look for experienced employee more aggressively than other months? Or is there any month when the market just hibernate? Trying to figure out which month will be best to move to oz

Months to avoid - December and January, the Christmas period is pretty much a right off as a lot of businesses close over some of this period.

The financial year here runs July - June, so around June/July could be slow as employers are waiting for funding or their budgets to be allocated to recruit.

Of course there will always be exceptions to these rules but this gives you a guide.

There is no harm in contacting employers that you wish to work for before you move over here,you never know where it may lead.

It also shows you are interested In looking for work , send emails off ,look at the job websites ,have a look and research for your self. This way you will make contacts that may help you once you arrive here. There is no harm in trying. If you have your visa let them know what type it is ,drop them a cover letter and your resume,

That's what I did, I applied for heaps, and made a few contacts that I kept in touch with all way through the waiting game,even before our visa had been granted,

Some people may not get back in touch where others will, you just never know until you try.

Guest ozdreamsa

Thank you Jessica and ajford.

I was so tempted to fly over there in January. Well, I also thought that December will not be a good month to start and did not know the financial year runs from July to June.

@ajford, I am planning to do the same as you have mentioned. I have always valued my contacts and it really helps.

My plan is to list up all the vacancies and try almost all that might be suitable.

How long did it take for you to secure an employment after landing in OZ?

I took me around 2 weeks,I am a chef. I photocopied my resume while still in the uk, then got a payg phone when we arrived then added the contact number on to them,then we drove around and basically cold called on a few,a good friend told us of a place that had been advertised in the Adelaide advertiser( there's a job page every Saturday),and I called in and had a chat with him,then got the call a couple of days later

I had to turn down 4 jobs after excepting the job the. Following day,

We kept a spreadsheet with all the jobs we had applied for with all of there contact details etc....

Guest ozdreamsa

Excellent effort, God help those who help themselves. I will try to do the same, although I am not sure what I should expect at this point as a IT Consustant/ Systems Engineer / Tech support.

We kept a spreadsheet with all the jobs we had applied for with all of there contact details etc....

I am super impressed with this. As someone that works in HR and recruitment it never ceases to amaze me the attitude of some people about the job hunting and recruitment process and their lack of professionalism.

I was recently involved in a recruitment process where nearly 900 people applied for a handful of jobs that were on offer, approximately a quarter of them were emailed to advise that they have been invited for testing and they were asked to respond to the email to confirm whether they would or would not attend, less than half managed to email back. The people that did not respond were then contacted about the email and I could write a book about the responses!! If it had been my recruitment process I would have simply disregarded all the people that did not respond as it shows an ability to follow instructions!

Excellent effort, God help those who help themselves. I will try to do the same, although I am not sure what I should expect at this point as a IT Consustant/ Systems Engineer / Tech support.
e

Have you looked at careerone.com.au, seek etc.., I found these good to apply through. If you know where you are wanting to live you can always google map the locations so you will know how far you are willing to commute etc..

You never know until you start applying, remember the chocolate ,drinks and a pen and paper.

It is very hard not to get down,due to it all. You have most likely been through heaps already lol

Good luck

Andrew

Guest pixie7

Hi OH is in same line of work, we go over in January but are planning on a little 'holiday' time before the reality of job hunting kicks in. Try Talent International as well as those that Ajford said and hayes seem to have a large portion of the market. Goodluck and we will let you know how it goes.

Guest tanya814
Months to avoid - December and January, the Christmas period is pretty much a right off as a lot of businesses close over some of this period.

The financial year here runs July - June, so around June/July could be slow as employers are waiting for funding or their budgets to be allocated to recruit.

Of course there will always be exceptions to these rules but this gives you a guide.

Hi Jessica ,

We are plannig to apply for SA sponsorship.Before that i want information about IT jobs in adelaide. My husband has total 7yrs exp in IT .He has 5yrs exp in SAP (to be specific MM)field.how is the job market for sap in adelaide or any where in SA.Can we manage to get a job there.I was going through various web sites but found very few listings.We r unable to decide.Can anyone tell the ground reality.We cannot apply for other states like NSW,VIC where there is demand because of IELTS score.PLEASE HELP.thank you

Guest bidsandrew

Hi Tanya814, we move to adelaide in 3 weeks time! My mum and dad will be following us within the next couple of years and my mum works in IT specifically in SAP so I will be interested to see what replies you get on that front.

Bridget

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi Andrew

Thank you for all the details. I have not started the process, at present I am only researching and gathering information.

I am thinking of listing up all the possible head hunters, possible employers and prepare my CV in OZ style. Once I am done with that I will start shooting e-mail and try to find some good contacts.

Any idea, advice is always welcome.