Converting my level 3 childcare and education

Guest cyprus2001

Guest cyprus2001

Hi there,

Help me please someone, I hav my level 3 childcare learning and development certificate from uk which enables me in uk to work or supervise children from o to sixteen years however am finding it real hard to know who

To go to out here to get my qualification converted to the austral Ian equivalent have been told by someone should be a level five certain but haven't a clue where to get it converted. Any advice would be good.

Thanks everyone

Hi Cyprus,

My daughter had exactly the same problem here, we went to Skills Recognition Services, they are in Currie Street in CBD, have a look at this link http://www.dfeest.sa.gov.au/Contacts/SkillsRecognitionServices/tabid/114/Default.aspx there is a guy there who is very helpful, sorry dont know his name but he seemed to be the only guy there! If you go in with your passport/visa and original certificate they sort it for you but it can take a few weeks, he told us about 4 weeks but it arrived much sooner than that. They also offer a workshop with advice on interviews and writing your CV (its very different to what we are used to doing) so if interested ask about it, one of the people that run that workshop is called Shelley - she was really helpful in looking over your CV and offering advice..... as a result of doing this workshop my daughter found work very quickly.

I will warn you though, once you have your assessment, not everyone will 'recognise' it, let me explain.... my daughter had level 3 CACHE in childcare and education, they assessed hers as equivalent to certificate IV here but they lot of childcare organisations only recognise certificate III so basically said they would employ her but as 'unqualified' yet another centre didnt have problem with it, my initial reaction was to think they wanted to employ her as unqualified so they didnt have to pay her as much, but she actually earns more than the qualified staff as she is 'casual'.........makes no sense to me!!

This is all free by the way, if you need any further info let me know.

Julie

Guest cyprus2001

Hi thank you so much will look there right away, did notice tafe are doing childcare certificate 3 course starting this year I think if your daughter was interested.

Many thanks again

Guest wijaya

There is a lot of confusion with the term 'unqualified" in child care. Basically, if you have the diploma qualification and above, you will be called "qualified". Under that, cert III and so on, will be called "unqualified". So if you have Cert 3 or no qualification at all, you are in the same category as unqualified. Only the pay will different. The payment for Cert 3 will be level 3 equal to 22 dolar an hour currently. If you have no qualification, you start at level 1 equals to around 16-17 dolar per hour.

regards

Hi Cyprus,

My daughter had exactly the same problem here, we went to Skills Recognition Services, they are in Currie Street in CBD, have a look at this link http://www.dfeest.sa.gov.au/Contacts/SkillsRecognitionServices/tabid/114/Default.aspx there is a guy there who is very helpful, sorry dont know his name but he seemed to be the only guy there! If you go in with your passport/visa and original certificate they sort it for you but it can take a few weeks, he told us about 4 weeks but it arrived much sooner than that. They also offer a workshop with advice on interviews and writing your CV (its very different to what we are used to doing) so if interested ask about it, one of the people that run that workshop is called Shelley - she was really helpful in looking over your CV and offering advice..... as a result of doing this workshop my daughter found work very quickly.

I will warn you though, once you have your assessment, not everyone will 'recognise' it, let me explain.... my daughter had level 3 CACHE in childcare and education, they assessed hers as equivalent to certificate IV here but they lot of childcare organisations only recognise certificate III so basically said they would employ her but as 'unqualified' yet another centre didnt have problem with it, my initial reaction was to think they wanted to employ her as unqualified so they didnt have to pay her as much, but she actually earns more than the qualified staff as she is 'casual'.........makes no sense to me!!

Julie

Guest cyprus2001
There is a lot of confusion with the term 'unqualified" in child care. Basically, if you have the diploma qualification and above, you will be called "qualified". Under that, cert III and so on, will be called "unqualified". So if you have Cert 3 or no qualification at all, you are in the same category as unqualified. Only the pay will different. The payment for Cert 3 will be level 3 equal to 22 dolar an hour currently. If you have no qualification, you start at level 1 equals to around 16-17 dolar per hour.

regards

Thank you that helps slot, I have just contacted the skills recognition for appointment so hopefully can sort this out now.

Thanks

Guest cyprus2001

Hi did you need an appointments or did you just walk in there. Thanks

Hi Cyprus,

Julie

Hi thank you so much will look there right away, did notice tafe are doing childcare certificate 3 course starting this year I think if your daughter was interested.

Many thanks again

Her work are going to be putting her through course at TAFE, we called them early on to get some info and (person we spoke too) were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot, asked them a question to which her reply was sorry we are full try Mount Barker Campus! From what we can ascertain as she already has done some of it already she would be doing a 'top up' which should be quicker to complete.

regards

Yes it is confusing, especially to a newcommer trying to find work, so what is a Cert 4?

Guest wijaya

As far I know, there is no cert 4 in children services. After cert 3, you could go for diploma, or bachelor degree for early education. I've just finished my diploma this week, after finished cert3, few months ago. As others say, you convert some of unit from your previous qualification into RPL, not sure whether you convert everything, like NVQ3 into cert 3 here. You might need to take some units before you could finish your cert 3 or diploma.

Yes it is confusing, especially to a newcommer trying to find work, so what is a Cert 4?

Guest manxstones

Hi, do you know if my NNEB qualification is recognised ? Have e mailed sa gov twice and still no reply but in arrived in oz on sat and keen to get the ball rolling ! Helen x

Guest cyprus2001
Is it a NVQ? I went to tafe got my NVQ2 changed over (they call it RPL) to a cert 3 and knocked a few units off my diploma. I friend had a NVQ3 had to do 2 units it make it a diploma think it was legislation unit and programming. :)

Hi there , this is very interesting as I am currently in talks with tafe about how many u it's I will need to complete to make it a diploma where did your friend study for these two units and was it just coursework or did she have to be assessed on the job? Is your friend on a permanent visa or457 as would be interested to know the cost of what she done, as I'm on 457 I have to pay international student fee which is quite a lot higher I think but she did say depends on how many unit I have to complete. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, do you know if my NNEB qualification is recognised ? Have e mailed sa gov twice and still no reply but in arrived in oz on sat and keen to get the ball rolling ! Helen x

A girl i worked with had a NNEB she got a cert 3 and a few units knocked off the diploma try the skills req currie st adelaide they will put something in a letter for you to take to tafe to get the units RPL.

Hi there , this is very interesting as I am currently in talks with tafe about how many u it's I will need to complete to make it a diploma where did your friend study for these two units and was it just coursework or did she have to be assessed on the job? Is your friend on a permanent visa or457 as would be interested to know the cost of what she done, as I'm on 457 I have to pay international student fee which is quite a lot higher I think but she did say depends on how many unit I have to complete. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm sure she went to to Tafe at croydon park, was a bit of both coursework and assessed on the job, she is on a PR now but not sure what she was on before. what Tafe have you been in talks with?

Guest cyprus2001
A girl i worked with had a NNEB she got a cert 3 and a few units knocked off the diploma try the skills req currie st adelaide they will put something in a letter for you to take to tafe to get the units RPL.

I'm sure she went to to Tafe at croydon park, was a bit of both coursework and assessed on the job, she is on a PR now but not sure what she was on before. what Tafe have you been in talks with?

Hi iv been talking to noArlunga however she has passed my details over to Croydon to be assessed see what I have to complete for diploma.