would a very basic quick plastering course come in handy?

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi all you helpful people!

As we know there is a problem with Telecom Engineers getting similar work in Adelaide so me trying to help matters on the job front when we arrive this summer thought Hubby(at present Telecom Engineer) could go on a very basic plastering course that is on offer locally.It is only over 2 consecutive weekends though(4 days in total).There is a guaranteed certificate at the end of it but i just wondered would this be any help getting a job over there,would it even be recognised or would it all just be a waste of time and money as 4 days training doesn't seem long enough to come out with a fully qualified plastering certificate surely?

Any advise?

Gill

Guest mollybailey

hi gil, my oh is a plasterer and trained for 3 years, there are some short plastering courses you can go on that would be helpful, in adelaide there is alot of outside rendering so would be more beneficial to concentrate on that, 2 weekends doesnt seem that long but im sure it will help!

Guest Leanne & Mark

Hi Gill,

We are doing the same Mark is Regional PM for BT structured cabling, and we think he's gonna do an electricians course, its an intensive course for around £3k/ £4k which we will pay once the house sold.

There are a few intensive courses that will give you more than just a basic cert, Tiling was one and plumbing (i can't remember the site at the moment though:confused:)

but i think its gotta be worth a try!! i'm looking at doing some thing too can't decide what yet though.

Good luck!:eek::idea:(smilies from Blake !!)

Guest cunnah10
hi gil, my oh is a plasterer and trained for 3 years, there are some short plastering courses you can go on that would be helpful, in adelaide there is alot of outside rendering so would be more beneficial to concentrate on that, 2 weekends doesnt seem that long but im sure it will help!

Thanks for your reply!It's hard trying to decide what to do to better your chances of employment etc out there!

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill,

We are doing the same Mark is Regional PM for BT structured cabling, and we think he's gonna do an electricians course, its an intensive course for around £3k/ £4k which we will pay once the house sold.

There are a few intensive courses that will give you more than just a basic cert, Tiling was one and plumbing (i can't remember the site at the moment though:confused:)

but i think its gotta be worth a try!! i'm looking at doing some thing too can't decide what yet though.

Good luck!:eek::idea:(smilies from Blake !!)

Thanks for reply as always!Tom did suggest an electricians intense course himself also!your brain just ticks over all the time trying to think of better ways of getting decent employment once out there to get that much wanted better life in oz!With me having the 4 kids and still so young i'm not sure what to do myself.Truth be known i'm a happy stay at home mum and would gladly do the same out there(although have to keep OH sweet and say of course i will look for work if we are struggling).

Maybe once the kids are older i will change my mind!Who knows!

Good luck and let me know if your OH does decide to go on an intense electricians course!

Gill

Guest Leanne & Mark

Gosh !!!!!!!!!! There my thoughts exactly, don'y worry your secrets safe with me !! I think Mark looked for work Data etc, and some of the position required electrical too, so we thought that was best. As for me i love being at home, I'm 30 now and i don't wanna go to work, just for the sake of it. If that doesn't sound too awful!!

I should have gone to uni but i met mark, (he is 6 yrs older so has seen the world before i came along)and we moved about with the army so i guess things happen for a reason. Once liv starts school (she is 2 & 1/2 now) if we can afford it i will go and get a career, i think.

I'd love to study Nutririon, and be a Dietician but for now its a dream.

We can meet up and enjoy staying at home together.;)

Guest taylor family

Hi if I was you I would save the money Because I believe that when you are a sparky in england your still not recognised in aus because of difference in power output I would go more down the tileling route there is great demand here hope that helps.

good luck

Guest cunnah10
Hi if I was you I would save the money Because I believe that when you are a sparky in england your still not recognised in aus because of difference in power output I would go more down the tileling route there is great demand here hope that helps.

good luck

thanks for advice guys!would be a lot of money to waste if not recognised!

Guest Leanne & Mark

I'm pretty sure you just need to do a course or test, to transfer your skills and get an oz license. Adelaide is the best place to do this, i know some people are flying from Queensland to Adelaide because it takes a lot more to get it in QLD, but they do it in Adelaide and transfer it too a QLD one.

Does tiling pay lot?? and have you seen any jobs advertised??

Guest louiesmum

Hi

I don't know about in Australia as not there yet, but my brother worked for someone who ran these courses in UK & left the job not long after starting, he felt that the people doing them were being duped as you really (he said) can't learn to plaster to any level in such a short space of time!