Finding an odd job in Adelaide

Guest Adel

Hi everybody,

I am an electrical engineer migrating to Adelaide in couple of months but I am bit worried about the job since I have no friends in the region and that is why I am bit paranoid :confused:. I am ready to work for an odd job during my initial settlement before I could get a reasonable job here.

Could some one please let me know if add jobs are easily available here or I have to strive hard for it, also in how many days a new migrant can get an odd job. I would be more valuable if you guys can provide me the nature of odd jobs available in Adelaide.

Thanks in advance, see you guys there....

Guest rachinadelaide
Hi everybody,

I am an electrical engineer migrating to Adelaide in couple of months but I am bit worried about the job since I have no friends in the region and that is why I am bit paranoid :confused:. I am ready to work for an odd job during my initial settlement before I could get a reasonable job here.

Could some one please let me know if add jobs are easily available here or I have to strive hard for it, also in how many days a new migrant can get an odd job. I would be more valuable if you guys can provide me the nature of odd jobs available in Adelaide.

There are lots of engineering jobs in Adelaide. My hubby is an electrical engineer and resigned from his job last xmas with no new job lined up - he had 6 job offers within 4 weeks. He does have the advantage of contacts and reputation however. Try googling job agencies and registering with them if you are looking for short-term contracts. Also, speculative enquiries seem to pay off in the engineering field, especially if you have a good CV.

Best of luck!

Rach

Thanks Rach,

Could you please let me know the job agencies that are active in Adelaide as I have no contact and no friends I have also create a profile on seek last month but no luck.

Again Thanks in advance :)

We have been here for just over 3 months and I personally feel it is hard to get a job here. My hubby was lucky and was working in 2 months but I've had no joy although I've had plenty of interviews. In my experience Agencies are similar to the UK and are pretty poor at getting back to you - its the usual rush to get you in and registered and then no contact. The main Agencies are Hays, Hudson, but I think registering with Seek is the better option, that way you will also see what Agencies are advertising.

Good luck

Jo

• 2 months later...
Guest rehanonline83
Hi everybody,

Hi Adel,

Saw you old post today. Did you arrive at Adelaide? How about your job, did you manage to found one?

Actually i am Electrical Engineer too planning to apply for 176 (state sponsorship) but i am confused between SA and WA. My research and statistics says that WA is better choice but i need to hear from you too.

By the way, i am specialized in Electrical Smart Metering/ Metering Solution Provider/ Energy Management.

I really look forward to hearing from you soon

Cheers

Hi Adel,

Saw you old post today. Did you arrive at Adelaide? How about your job, did you manage to found one?

Actually i am Electrical Engineer too planning to apply for 176 (state sponsorship) but i am confused between SA and WA. My research and statistics says that WA is better choice but i need to hear from you too.

By the way, i am specialized in Electrical Smart Metering/ Metering Solution Provider/ Energy Management.

I really look forward to hearing from you soon

Cheers

Hi,

No I haven't move there my plans are for Feb 2012, in the mean time I have applied for various jobs related to electrical engineering but didn't have much luck. I am still searching for the job. I'll update you as soon as I get there and find some suitable job.

Adel

Guest rehanonline83
Hi,

No I haven't move there my plans are for Feb 2012, in the mean time I have applied for various jobs related to electrical engineering but didn't have much luck. I am still searching for the job. I'll update you as soon as I get there and find some suitable job.

Adel

I thought you already landed there.

Are you on 176? I am going to publish statistical data about jobs in OZ. Check my next thread in main (Jobs n Career) forum. I hope it will help you to read the market.

Cheers

Guest Barney Rubble

Try Red Recruitment and Talent2 but Howard has hit the nail on the head, when we came here (many moons ago) got very dispondant with agencies to the point where i phoned up to enquire about a job that matched my resume perfectly (machine tool electrician- not a common trait!) and they asked me to go in and see them, when i refused and asked them to look at my details they already had i had to call them back and they said they didn't think i was suitable :nah:

I got a call about a week later so i let them have it (have now completed my anger management course).

Electrical engineers here are not that good IMHO, some of the designs that come out are open for $$ variations if your a smart project manager :wink:

If you make it here would love to work with some quality.

Cheers

BR

Guest rehanonline83
Lies, damn lies and statistics :biglaugh:

Hey mate,

The data is taken from Australian Government Websites and corresponding organisations who are responsible for publications, forecast etc.

These are not developed by me, rather i found some on different official websites.

Hi We've been here two years now and my hubbie had two job interviews lined up for when we got here.

When we were in UK, we sent off loads off applications with an interview letter and singed up for agencies but only got three answers back - two were the interviews and the other was say he had nothing but nice long chat as he was from Bristol.

If you are not in the country, sometimes, they will not respond and we also found this here until we changed to an aussie email address. Know it sounds a long shot but my husband just went through the Yellow pages and rang people for work as the other jobs were not what he wanted and he got a job out of it and started the following week (know different trade but can't hurt to try) - they then cannot ignore you.