Cert 3 in Aged Care

Guest jlr248

Can anyone give me any info concerning how to obtain the Cert 3 in aged care ,also how long it takes and costs. I have worked as clinical support asst in hositpal in Uk for 12 months but have no formal related qualifactions (only NVQ 3 in teaching support and need DECS number before i can work which may take a while). Any help would be appreciated.

You can get your Cert 3 in about 8 weeks for around $2000, 2 weeks of which are usually placement gaining practical experience.

Its really hard though as many Aged Care facilities will only take on experienced carers. Southern Cross Care offer the only "grad program' for PCW's which gives them the opportunity to consolidate their skills. There are a LOT of training organisations offering the course, but I'd suggest you perhaps ask around for a reputatable organisation, Let me know if you need more info :)

Hi I work for Helping Hands, they have payed for my training in Cert 3 in the community and are presently paying for me to train in Cert 4. If you don't want the initial expense. This is a good way to start. I started at the bottom with community Domestic (in residence homes) work, it's flexible, works around the school times and is undemanding. The training I'm doing is through Morgan & Hay Pty Ltd at fullarton, they have career pathways and job opportunities listed on their notice board. Other students in my class work at E.C.H which is based West of the city. I know the company I'm working for are crying out for worker's, I've been impressed with the high standards of training and support I have got from my employers.

Check out their website.

If your interested in getting into training straight away look into Tafe.sa

good luck

Julie

I am currently doing my Cert 3 Aged Care with Wade Vocational Training in Morphett Vale. 2 weeks in and i am totally loving it. The tutors are fab and make it really easy to learn. They are very helpful. The group of people i have met are brilliant too. It's a 6 week classroom and two week placement course (which they find for you) It cost me $1850 with Senior First Aid included in that. Good Luck Aly.

I am currently doing my Cert 3 Aged Care with Wade Vocational Training in Morphett Vale. 2 weeks in and i am totally loving it. The tutors are fab and make it really easy to learn. They are very helpful. The group of people i have met are brilliant too. It's a 6 week classroom and two week placement course (which they find for you) It cost me $1850 with Senior First Aid included in that. Good Luck Aly.

I second that..I did my cert 3 with Wade but in disabilities. The tutors are excellent..a real laugh...lots of practical help and it has a great reputation. I got a great job at Minda, which I absolutely love. In a past life I was a teacher and it's inspired me to do my Masters degree in disability studies..there is so much scope out there for professional development. And the monies pretty good as well!!!!

I used to work at a College that also taught Cert III in Aged Care and there was always plenty of work on offer, it is definitely a growth area for employment (as we are an ageing nation) and is always included in employment areas in demand.

Interestingly though I recently received 2 resumes (I work in HR with an emphasis on recruitment and training) for a temp office job I was filling and both people had studied Cert III in Age Care and completed a couple of months work in aged care but that was it and were now trying to get office work again. I think it is not a career for everyone (but then that can be said for many jobs). I know the trainer at the College I worked at was very honest and practical about working in aged care and the reality of the type of jobs you will have to do.

I second that..I did my cert 3 with Wade but in disabilities. The tutors are excellent..a real laugh...lots of practical help and it has a great reputation. I got a great job at Minda, which I absolutely love. In a past life I was a teacher and it's inspired me to do my Masters degree in disability studies..there is so much scope out there for professional development. And the monies pretty good as well!!!!

I have met a few people who have mentioned Minda and what a great place it is to work. The Dementia part of the studying is really interesting to me but until i do my placement i don't know if it still will be. (hopefully it will) Was it difficult to do the disabilities course? cheers Aly.

I am currently studying for my Cert III in Aged Care at Wade Training and have also found the course to be really enjoyable, the staff are really relaxed, the course is interesting and they always put the residents first. The people on the course are relaxed and come from a mixed background, oh....is that you Alyson, did you enjoy your session with Tony?

I have met a few people who have mentioned Minda and what a great place it is to work. The Dementia part of the studying is really interesting to me but until i do my placement i don't know if it still will be. (hopefully it will) Was it difficult to do the disabilities course? cheers Aly.

It's the same course as aged care in terms of practical work..but you do 3 separate models..that are quite lengthy..but basic common sense. I did my work experience at Minda as I volunteer there. The staff there are amazing...welcoming,lovely,warm and caring. Pm me if you need to know more. When I did the course at Wade you could do both cert 3 in aged care and disability at no extra cost.

Guest ffi&dyl

I also did my Cert III in Aged Care at Wade Training and can highly recomend them, didn't think you could laugh and learn. I worked with 2 different agencies to start with to gain some experience. I have now been working at Eldercare for the last 8 months.

Hi, Yes done the weetabix thing last week! Nice!! Incontinence this week!!!

I don't think I have ever laughed so much in a classroom!!! I got to pick who did it!!!!