Nursing wages in U.K.

Guest Tterrier81

Guest Tterrier81

Hi, just wondering if there are any nurses on this forum who could help me, im wanting to know what the wages are in the uk for a registered nurse working in a hospital

cheers

Guest RobJ1978

Here's a link.http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?id=766 depends on how experienced you are, what area you work in, have you got anymore qualifications....i would base it on being a Band 5 and if you manage to get a Band 6 its a bonus.

You'd be lucky to get a nursing post in the UK at the moment, very few and far between. Especially permanent posts. I read an article recently suggesting that the Tories are planning to get rid of 56,000 nurses. Colleagues back in the UK have informed me that vacant posts are not being filled!!!!!! I left in August this year and have not been replaced ......4 others left at the same time and have also not been replaced. As a top band 6 in Uk Im earning lots more as a level 1 year 9 over here and have to say the conditions and workload are significantly better .

Guest RobJ1978

yeah we have a job freeze on and have now been told that we aren't allowed to employ and bank staff to help out. We have 4 students that qualified in march and none of them have any jobs!

Guest Guest6899

As others have stated it depends what increment you are on, in theory as newly qualified you start on level 1 band 5, then you should move up 1 increment after 6 months, then again to level three as you hit your one years qualified (hope that makes sence). So your usually one increment ahead that your qualified, i was qualified for 2.5yrs and on an increment scale 3. If you look on the RCN website and search for wages all the bands and increment scales are on there.

So basically if you have been qualified for 5yrs then you should be on level 6. i think they are dependant on you progressing in your job and some trusts like mine in the UK were not good at sorting pay rates.

I hope its correct, im sure somebody will state if its not.

Lisa

• 1 month later...
Guest nurse sue

if you were going back to the nhs after some time away (there are jobs out there, somewhere!) you would go straight back to the start of a band 5 even if you had a lot of experience in aus. i got a permanent job 3 years ago having worked full time bank for 2 years and having had 3 years nhs employment 3 years before i got the bank work ... still started on bottom band 5. i guess if you have the skills and experience relevant to the job then you could negotiate further up the scale.

increments tend to be yearly, and are based on your pdr - if you are progressing then you go up the scale.

i have a very extended role yet still get no real renumeration for it ... im now on 3rd increment of a band 5 but do the same work of some band 7s in other trusts!

i now work part time, 22 1/2 hrs, so my pro rata salary is about £14500 ... i take home about £1050 (thats after tax, ni, student loan dedn and car park fee).

i have a friend who moved out to victoria in oct 2010 - he was a band 5 - and he is now earning over $90,000 - like he says, he will never earn that salary in the uk!

uk (esp nhs) = crap wages!! :goofy: