Job Sponsorship

Guest Steve O

Guest Steve O

11 months into my application to find I have qualified as an Engineering Manager with Australian Engineering, past my IELTS and ticked all the boxes with regards competences to be told I cannot achieve 65 points for the state sponsorship ticket because of my age bracket (40 to 44) and because I do not have a degree (OND only)!!!!

I have now been told to seek company sponsorship, the trouble is that all the vacancies available, to which I have applied for are wanting someone who resides in Austalia!!!!! Any ideas or contacts?

What sort of engineering is it you do? The demand for 'foreign' engineers has dropped off quite a bit in recent times which is perhaps why many are seeking local engineers? I'm a consultant engineer in Building Services and i know the demand is fairly high in other major CBD's, in particular Perth but alas in Adelaide is fairly quiet. Let me know what area of engineering you're in and i'll see if i can give you some pointers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve O

I'm a Maintenance Manager in the FMCG industry. (United Biscuits) Expertise in SAP,MTBF and electrical legislation. I am also a qualified electrical installation engineer.I'm currently waiting replies on 3 engineering roles to which I have applied for with an opportunity for company sponsorship.

Hi Steve. No idea on your field, but my company sponsored me (my background is marketing - I work for a not for profit org in Adelaide). My experience was that many companies WOULD be happy to sponsor, but have no idea what it involves or how to go about it. I think for many the idea of the admin and time involved is off putting. In my second interview I said if I was successful I'd do all the 'work' for my visa (tests, admin etc) out of work hours and I would pay the fees rather than expect the company too (especially as they're not for profit). I also went with our HR manager in my first week to meet with a really helpful lady at the department of immigration.

The process for me had 3 parts - the company firstly had to register/apply as a company eligible to sponsor people (very straight forward), then they had to apply to sponsor me specifically for my role specifically, THEN I applied myself.

I found it was worth chatting to a migration agent (I didn't use one in the end - wasn't worth the cost for my very non-complicated visa application from a working holiday to sponsored by employer) so I had my facts straight and could go to an interview with the visa as a tiny admin matter that needed to be sorted, rather than the be all and end all.

The conditions of my visa were that it was dependent on me staying with the company for 2 years from the date the visa was granted - so let your prospective employers know that - many may think they're taking a gambling employing someone who 'may leave' - I pointed out that I could live 5 minutes away all my life and find the job wasn't for me a month later - but also, they were guaranteed a good worker for at least 2 years - if I left the role, I'd effectively have to leave Australia too or find another visa option!

Good luck,

STP

Guest Steve O

Thanks for your information. I started the process in Jan 2011, using a migration company. During my initial application, the old points system was in use, which favoured my application. The problem was I had to wait for Engineering Australia to measure me via a CDR which they eventually granted me the status of Engineering Manager ( 8 months to complete) By this time the points system changed and the role profile had been removed from the wanted list for South Australia.

Since the new points system, I have completed my IELTS but have now found that I cannot obtain the 60 points required as an Engineering Manager for state sponsorship because off my age and because I do not have a degree. My old role of Maintenance Engineer would have scored me full points, but because I have not been in the role for the last 2 years I cannot use it for my points. Therefore, the only way is company sponsorship. Because I am currently in the UK, I do not get any further than 2nd stage of my application for relevant positions. Frustrating to say the least.........

Guest Heather2011
A band score of 8. Yes I could resit the IELTS but it would not give me enough to hit 60.

Have you looked at the 475 option where you can get 10 points for regional state sponsorship?

As well as 8s in IELTs if you havent already looked at the 475 this could give you the extra points needed.

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve O

Heather,

Sorry for the delay. The agency I am using have just come up with that idea. Looking at the 475 it's at a financial cost as well as being told where to live!!!!!! Am I correct in thinking that?

Guest Heather2011
Heather,

Sorry for the delay. The agency I am using have just come up with that idea. Looking at the 475 it's at a financial cost as well as being told where to live!!!!!! Am I correct in thinking that?

yes unfortunately it does cost but its a way in and SA is all classed as regional. It also provides a path for permanent residency.

Guest Steve O

Heather, 475 is the answer. I'm resitting the IELTS in Feb to try to achieve 8 in reading,writing and listening. The last time I sat it I scored 7.5 in all and 9 in speaking. If I get the correct result and the Emigration group get me 10 points for my diploma or trade qualification then bingo! I should get the visa in 8 to 10 weeks. This will mean moving out and staying in South Australia for 2 years and working for at least 1 year subject to selling my house for the £20k needed for me and a further 10K per family member.

This sounds like a good solution! We are currently on a 475 visa and waiting for our employer sponsored 857 permanent visa to arrive.

For us the 475 was the only real route for us to get to Adelaide. Its not easy being on this visa as you don't get the benefits of what the permanent visa offers but its a start. We have been lucky as my employer offered us sponsorship.

We have now been waiting 7 months for this and now starting to wonder if its ever going to happen. But we are here and its great!! Good luck guys!!

Guest Heather2011
Heather, 475 is the answer. I'm resitting the IELTS in Feb to try to achieve 8 in reading,writing and listening. The last time I sat it I scored 7.5 in all and 9 in speaking. If I get the correct result and the Emigration group get me 10 points for my diploma or trade qualification then bingo! I should get the visa in 8 to 10 weeks. This will mean moving out and staying in South Australia for 2 years and working for at least 1 year subject to selling my house for the £20k needed for me and a further 10K per family member.

Well done to you! If its a way in you have to do it and it still leads to a PR when the time comes.