White Card question?

Guest adzm124

Guest adzm124

Hello, I'm due to move out to SA in mid-feb hopefully, and I've looked for info on white cards for registration as Tiler. I also do kitchen re-fits and wooden floor installations.

My question is do I need a white card and CITB number for just domestic jobs? Or is that just for site-work?

I've sent an email to OCBA, but no reply as of yet.

Thanks

Adam

Thanks, I will. Have you been through all this?

Hi Adam,

Should have introduced myself - I'm a local (of the girl variety) and worked in admin for a commercial carpentry company for a number of years so I know that all commercial sites require a white card but I'm not sure about domestic sites. I always found the HIA to be very helpful in answering any queries that I had and they are oriented towards the domestic construction market. The 'other' organisation in SA is the MBA (Master Builder's Association). You can try emailing them as well. As Moosh says, you can also try SafeworkSA as they are responsible for Occ Health and Safety in general. Some of our carpenters did do online white card courses. The company has to be a registered training organisation (RTO) here in Sth Australia for it to be valid so perhaps that's why Moosh advised you not to (?)

As far as I am aware, you don't need a CITB number to start work. It is a scheme that was set up to improve ongoing training in the Construction Industry. With a CITB number you (or employer - depends on who's paying) can access cheaper training and rebates are available to employers who take on apprentices. It only takes a few days to apply for one on-line but you do need to be living and working here - see info below from their website

[TABLE=class: MainTable, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][TABLE=class: tablebg2, width: 1000, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: tablebgSandy, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE=class: tablebgSandy, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]

Apply for a NEW CITB ID CardBefore you apply for your CITB ID Card, please note the following conditions that deem your eligibility:If you are an Apprentice:

1. You will need to live in South Australia
  2. You will need to be undertaking training in any of the eligible vocations (click here to view the Eligibility Schedule)
  3. You will need your Contract of Training Number (COT)
  4. You will need your Employer's ABN

If you are a Construction Worker:

1. You will need to live in South Australia
  2. You will need to work in the building and construction industry for a minimum of 80% of your time. Building and construction work is defined as the construction, erection, renovation, demolition or removal of a building, structure or civil works. It does NOT include maintenance, servicing or installation work conducted on existing buildings, structures or civil works.
  3. You will need a current Drivers Licence together with your or your Employer's ABN and/or Builders Licence Numbers available, together with all your personal details.

Once you have all the required information, please click here to apply for your CITB ID Card.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Regards,

Kirsten

Hi you will need a white card if you are working on sites all the house builders are asking everyone to get one now.If you are going to be working for yourself looks like you will need to get yourself a building license.You do not need to get yourself a citb card but if you want to do any training its good to have to get a discount

As Ian said, If you are going to be working in peoples houses for yourself you will be needing a builders license. One for each trade, Tiler and 2nd fix chippy for kitchens. White card is one day walk in park.....getting license is another story.

If you can find work as an employee then you dont need license

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest adzm124

Hello, I've been looking into the builder's license, seems more complex than the uk (not difficult!), has anyone had to register for more than one trade and was it easy to prove/without qualifications?

Its a few years since I done my builders license so might have changed but I had to take my trade papers in when I was called in for the interview with OCBA that was after I had done the course to qualify for a license. They decide what you are going to get a licence to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adzm124

So basically if you know what you are doing and come across with the right info, should be ok then for licence? I have visa for wall and floor tiling with stacks of info, but for the kitchen fitting, I have photos and references but no actual qualifications. It's very difficult to get a definitive answer on getting a licence for both trades.