Guest nickcoumbe

Guest nickcoumbe

Hi,

Been in Adelaide a couple of months, and now my son is settled in school I want to find a job.

I have 20yrs experience and a reasonably good cv.

Been looking on Seek.com etc but I am not finding a lot that is suitable.

Anyone know what the horticultural industry is like around Adelaide, or got any leads I should be chasing or sites I should know about?

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, I am in the same situation although only been here 3 weeks today.

I will be interested to see what replies you get. I was a groundsman for a local authority in the UK for 16 years but am looking at anything in Horticulture, sports turf maintenance, gardening etc..

Where abouts are you in Adelaide?

Andrew

Guest nickcoumbe
Hi, I am in the same situation although only been here 3 weeks today.

I will be interested to see what replies you get. I was a groundsman for a local authority in the UK for 16 years but am looking at anything in Horticulture, sports turf maintenance, gardening etc..

Where abouts are you in Adelaide?

Andrew

St Georges, but to be honest I imagine I'll have to travel.

Hi Guys

In todays job paper (3/12/11) there is a snapshot of working as a Gardener which may give you a bit of info. Where I work we recruit Horticulturalists (recruited 2 a couple of months ago), we usually go through an agency to start with and trial people out for a few months and then they can apply for the job when it comes up. The agency was saying to me that working at a private organisation his guys earn around $20 a hour casual rate, whereas we pay considerably more than that but our recruitment process is very thorough. A good resume is important, pointing out exactly what you can do and also what machines you have worked on eg which ride-on mowers etc.

I would suggest contacting all the gardening companies to see if they are taking anyone on. Franchises such as VIP and Jim's are very popular over here for lawn mowing and gardening so there is a lot of competition for home gardening services.

The Cert III in Horticulture is also a useful qualification to have or if you have the UK equivalent get it assessed by the Skills Recognition Service in the city and put on your resume that it is the equivalent to the Australian qualification.

I know of someone who came over as a gardener and his biggest issue was learning all the plants as a lot of them were different to the UK ones.

Guest Guest5035

The agency was saying to me that working at a private organisation his guys earn around $20 a hour casual rate,QUOTE]

Jessica..is there a o missing off the top of the zero? You get more at Maccas..i know you said your lot pay more, but he got that $20 wrong surely..

try here..http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=horticulture&location=1007

and here..http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=gardening&location=1007

stevo

The agency was saying to me that working at a private organisation his guys earn around $20 a hour casual rate,QUOTE]

Jessica..is there a o missing off the top of the zero? You get more at Maccas..i know you said your lot pay more, but he got that $20 wrong surely..

try here..http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=horticulture&location=1007

and here..http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=gardening&location=1007

stevo

The $20 a hour figure is what he quoted for general grass cutting, gardening work. In Saturdays job paper the average salary quoted for a Gardener was $39k (remember this is an average figure so there are always going to be higher and lower earners than this).

Government employers will pay higher rates in general, but then it is a case of getting into the Government system in the first place which can be hard to do as jobs that are advertised may already be lined up for someone.

Guest nickcoumbe

stevo

Ok, thanks for that. There are a couple of suitable jobs there.

Re: grass cutting etc, there does seem to be an amount of that kind of work, but it is a different branch of of horticulture to what I have done before.

Thanks for the help y'all.

You may have already seen this job in today job paper, but I thought it was worth posting as it gives quite detailed information on what they are looking for in a horticulture role. It also gives you the opportunity to look at the position description (when they remember to load it on their website, it was not on Saturday afternoon!!) and see what sort of qualifications, experience and licences they are looking for as a guide.

Gawler.jpeg

Hi guys. That don't sound great! I'm a green keeper of 17 years heading out to Adelaide on the 7th jan and I'm hopping todo something in horticulture too!

hi what about teaching they tend to be rather big in horticulture they have a college that teaches horticulture:smile:

hi what about teaching they tend to be rather big in horticulture they have a college that teaches horticulture:smile:

If you are thinking of teaching in the VET sector (Vocational Education and Training) for example training someone in a Cert III in Horticulture you will need a Cert IV in Training and Assessment qualification.

If you are thinking of teaching in the VET sector (Vocational Education and Training) for example training someone in a Cert III in Horticulture you will need a Cert IV in Training and Assessment qualification.

Hi could you tell me what the main criteria is for teaching in adelaide, i have a Cert ED and i am in my second year of a BA in Education and Training

thanks

jennet

Hi, I'm moving to Adelaide in April and will be looking for horticultural work. I currently work at a land based college in the UK where I teach Hort and manage the grounds. I'm not sure about teaching quals in Oz but for anyone wanting UK skills assessed for AQF Cert III in Hort try Richard Lynch at http://www.recognitionaustralia.com.au/

Richard is a National Assessor in all sorts of horticultural diciplines and worked in liason with Virginia Horticulture Centre just outside of Adelaide to help me

obtain my AQF for TRA skill assessment. He will be able to advise whether your qualifications can be assessed by RPL (recognition of prior learning) to gain the AQF III in Hort. It didn't take me that long to achieve just need to provide all the information for him as and when he requests...I'd absolutely thorougly recommend him.

Good luck everyone searching for work out there right now!

Alan