Teaching Assistants

Guest louiesmum

Guest Libby1971

A bit of a miracle really...

No qualifications are needed as such as far as I am aware. But everyone who is working in a school needs a first aid certificate, issued in Oz or its not valid, and has to complete the Child Protection course. From there, I would suggest volunteering in the school first - let them see what you're like and then hopefully you get offered a job.

I am not sure however and someone else may be able to give far more specific information.

Libby

Guest louiesmum
A bit of a miracle really...

No qualifications are needed as such as far as I am aware. But everyone who is working in a school needs a first aid certificate, issued in Oz or its not valid, and has to complete the Child Protection course. From there, I would suggest volunteering in the school first - let them see what you're like and then hopefully you get offered a job.

I am not sure however and someone else may be able to give far more specific information.

Libby

Hi Libby

Thanks for the answer, do you happen o know where you go for the first aid courses, so I know where I have to go when I arrive, I like to be prepared & I wasn't even a girl guide!! :wubclub:

Guest Libby1971

We used St John Ambulance. We picked up the certificate the next day. Cost about $100.

The child protection course we did through Edmund Rice Centre (hopefully about to become a saint but still very special to the Aussies) and that was less than the first aid, about $75 but the cost varies depending on where you go.

Good luck, the paperwork will drive you nuts!!!!!!! The only reason I don't leave teaching is because the paperwork was so maddening, I am determined to ensure it was worthwhile!!!!

Libby

Guest louiesmum
Be aware though that teaching assisants posts are about as rare as a permanent teaching job!!

Can you tell I'm cheesed off!!

Oh I can I hope things are brighter for you today!! Am i right in thinking you are a teacher or teacher assistant. If you haven't a job I hope you get one soon.

Thanks for replying to my thread:wubclub: