IT job for 475 visa holders

Guest yazan

Hi everybody,

i am moving to SA withen 2 months under 475 state sponsership visa, and i am really concerned about finding an IT job for me (i work as a database administrator). So how long does it take to find a job, and does the SA government provide any help in finding a job for me as a 475 visa holder

thanks

IT skills are generally in demand. However as someone who recently advertised an IT position many people apply for IT jobs with poor resumes and do not have the required skills or experience to do the job. So if you are good at your job and have a good resume that matches with what the employer is looking for you should find work.

Are there any recruitment agencies in SA, which help improving resumes and finding a proper job. I have heard that companies tend to employ candidates once they are in SA, not candidates who are planning to immigrate, is that true?

Thanks Jessica, well i work as Senior Database Administrator I've in the field of DB adminstration for more than 7 years, i hope to find a good job as i will start searching for one before my departure to Adelaide .... i hope to to schedule some interviews before my arrival

can anyone send me link for sample aus resume format for IT jobs ?

If you look at the 'templates' in Word 2007 they are a good general starting point, but what you say and how you say it is very important.

When I worked as a Trainer here in Adelaide, I personally always asked my students to write the resumes in their own words and then modified them. I feel this is better because as a HR person dealing with recruitment I can tell the resumes that have been created by an agency and quite a lot of them look the same and use the same wording.

Another problem as well is when someone is from another country and english is not their first language and you have a perfectly written resume (that they have obviously paid someone to do for them) and then you ring them up for an interview and they can hardly speak english!!! It puts the candidate and also the interviewer in a very awkward situation because when they attend the interview they can not understand or answer the questions. When my partner interviewed for a couple of IT positions this happened quite a lot and it is just wasting everyones time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sannie!
Hi everybody,

i am moving to SA withen 2 months under 475 state sponsership visa, and i am really concerned about finding an IT job for me (i work as a database administrator). So how long does it take to find a job, and does the SA government provide any help in finding a job for me as a 475 visa holder

thanks

hi there, AS far as I can see there is a good number of professional job opportunities here in adelaide (too!) though it is much less compared to other bigger cities. What jessica said about resumes and people from non -nglish speaking back ground applying for jobs- is soo true, More over it all depends on what u know? how skilled you are in ure area of IT, added with a bit of luck. I came here on the same 475 visa about one and a half years ago, still trying to get one professional job,I shoudl say I am bit unlucky in this dpartmnt, I was in sales before that had some IT stuff in it! but that wasnt sufficient enough for me get into IT. still trying my luck though ;-) keep applying with hope and better resume sure u'll end up getting one..

good luck to u.

• 2 months later...
Guest yazan

Hi,

Does the holders of visa class 475 ( state sponsorship) eligible to work in the governmental sector, as i have heard that only permanent residents and citizens are allowed to work in this field

regards;