work for B class electrician ??

KathC

hi all

we finally arrived just over 2 weeks ago and are slightly despondant about work situation......my oh worked as an electrician in the uk (on the commercial side) and did the VETASSES route which gave him a B class electrician status here.......we are finding that there is no work at all for him and we are getting a bit worried....has anyone done the TAFE course here to gain A class status?? very confusing!!!!

All our relatives here are reassuring us that its because its holiday period and things will be slow but i cant help worrying!!!

I am a qualified veterinary nurse and so far zero on the job front, have approached all the vets in the area (and registered with agencies) but nothing....am starting to get upset that things may not work out ........i have to keep telling myself its only been 2weeks and once we can get the 2 boys in school at least things might become normal....

has anyone else felt like this......am i being too harsh???

any thoughts / advice gratefully received!!!!

kathryn

Hi, I only arrived on Monday and have not started looking for work yet ( electrician) but from what I've heard there is plenty of work for sparks. The problem will be with the vets route. With this you are just a trades assistant for a year while completing a log book. I was lead to believe its hard to get work on this route. After I got my visa I got my trade re assessed by the TRA and got an ARTC certificate. With the ARTC all you then have to do is the wiring regs at peer which I'm on soon and then you can get your A class licence straight away. I was told employers prefer this route so it might be worth looking into. Like I said though I have not even tried looking for work yet as only just got here and jan/school hols wont be the best time to look.

Chris.

thank you for this info, will oh started on getting his trade re-assessed ........at the moment he is applying for everything he can find, even bunnings just to start earning........am hoping that in the next few weeks something will come up.........

good luck with your job hunting!!!

Guest nic-manchester

Hi kath, we have and still are still feeling a bit like you, oh is doing removal work has been for 5 weeks, he also applied for buntings. whilst he don't mind doing it to pay bills he certainly won't do it for much longer, he Is desperate for bricklaying work he ,loves it and is good at it, only 1 advert for bricklayer in last 2 weeks whilst we knew it would be quiet before and during xmas there has only been 3 in the two months since we arrived...

OH a bit worried though we are not going home we love it here in oz it is a bit worrying to say the least, even looking at other states if we can't get work here it's awful to feel like this as we have signed a 12 month lease but it's a reality, it was all good over Christmas but now it's not looking good.

We do know of a couple of electricians got work pretty much straight away doing solar panels not sure if he can do this with his

b'class

Nicola an nathan