Bricklayer requiring work

Guest nic-manchester

Guest nic-manchester

Fiffteen years exp ABN, White card ready to go. Extensive work on residential sites and stonework.

Does anyone know of anyone requiring a bricklayer, tried all normal roots, cold calling, dropping into sites, other people's contacts, even ones advertising don't answer the phone but nothing.....oh the ones that were interested don't answer now FRUSTRATING........

doing casual removal work and have been since we arrived not going to last much longer and is desperate to get back on hs tools doing what he loves!

Any help/advice or contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nicola an Nathan

Sorry to say but the bricklaying is dead just now and has been for the last 6 months there is not as many houses going up as there was. There are a lot of bricklayers looking for work just now, I know a few that have not worked for a while keep hearing things are going to pick up but don't know when.

Guest nic-manchester

Looks like we off somewhere else then! I done my homework before we came an we did take a chance coming when we did Although I thought there would be mor opportunities.

It maddens me when sa put it on required trade but therevare no jobs when we get here they should have some sort of criteria so that there are a certain number of jobs being advertised in order for them to keep it on.

We didnt come here for Nathan to be a furniture remover, and we certainly didn't expect to be the top of our game here we knew we would have to go back to square one...but when you not even got the chance of doing it it's a bit impossible

Nicola

It maddens me when sa put it on required trade but therevare no jobs when we get here they should have some sort of criteria so that there are a certain number of jobs being advertised in order for them to keep it on.

We didnt come here for Nathan to be a furniture remover, and we certainly didn't expect to be the top of our game here we knew we would have to go back to square one...but when you not even got the chance of doing it it's a bit impossible

Nicola

when you would have applied for your visa there was loads of work but things have changed as you and others are now finding out. Thing being would you have not come if you read that building was down on this site....???. Hey i been here comin on 6 years , got laid off before xmas , got job up clipsal track,take a wander around and ask if any jobs goin who knows.

Its not great out there at mo and feel for you and others that are still comin

Guest bidsandrew

We are in the same position, we got ss for my husband who is a greenkeeper/groundsman. He is struggling to find work and has really applied for all sorts of jobs not all related to his trade. He has managed to get 6 weeks driving a tractor at a wine farm in Mclaren Vale which he is really looking forward to but we dont know what will happen after that, fingers crossed something permanent will come up in the meantime.

Good luck to everyone else in the same position!

Guest nic-manchester

It's pants! That's all I can say good luck for your hubby an his tractor driving sounds like a interesting job!

Well jobs p next week so who knows what will happen, money for house deposits will slowly vanish before long

The trouble is as you said the government let you in at high cost for the visa, you are entitled to nothing on many visas and then there is no work. From their view point they make money out of you, you pay for living here and feed the local economy etc, if you end up going back so what to them? However, I know no one said emigrating is easy but right now you may be as well of not using your savings up here. The job market is very tight and as many people can not claim benefit due to Australain rules I suspect real unemployment is lot higher than the statistics show. Hope you get lucky though and find something after all the effort coming.

Guest nic-manchester

We got family in Brisbane but cost of relocating is expensive but they will put us up it's his bro an he is bricklayer so he said he would try get him work or start out themselves but we like it here, feel defeatist moving we thought we had to come here but seems not!!! Gonna try an get summat to get us going an save up a bit more then see what will happen end of year.

Thanks Leigh

Guest nic-manchester

Hi James

Thanks for your honest opinion, you are right it is not easy we didn't do it thinking that we said it's hard an we know it is, but like you said the people who are having to retrain when they get here an are not doing the job they came here to do, I think figs should be publishe and highlight the real statistics.

We will hang on to savings if we can, we have house in uk still with equity in it but I don't want to go back kids have been so happy here an me up til recent with thinking about money an stuff just need to get busting some stuff now an turn it good.

Normally quite an optimistic perso. But am being pushed at the mo.

Nicola

Guest bidsandrew

We too definitly dont want to relocate, we are really loving it in Adelaide and can see us being here for a long time. Im sure jobs will happen and yes we are using up our money from our house sale in the UK but this was always going to use up some of it, hopefully there will still be enough left for us to buy again but if not so be it. We have come here for the wonderful lifestyle it offers for us and the kids and if it means renting for the rest of our lives then thats the sacrafic we will have to make!

We didnt ever think it was going to be easy but we just didnt realise the job market was so bad. I have got an interview tomorrow but it is only for part time but I suppose every little helps!

Guest nic-manchester

Us too it's a lovely place perfect for little ones to grow up, what do you do? I work in accountancy had to book on a myob course an it's so bloody easy an basic just to say I done it. Should hear befor fri if I got a job had interview last fri...

We will use money like you if we have to but it's not want I planned, still a better life for kids here than uk xx

I am really sorry for all of you just arriving and for myself. Let me give a piece of advise set an amount you can use and then draw a line in the sand and move on, hopefully you will have work before that. I did not and it has cost us all our savings and I have no house in UK. I have had a job for all the time but my wife had a one year post and has been looking for a year now, nothing. We cannot easily live off one salary. We kept thinking something will show up. Friends at work have unemployed husbands for 5 months, others took a year to get the post. We are both admin workers not your field but none are easy.

It is a bit cynical by the Australians they charge you lots to come here, know you can claim little or nothing on arrival and then if you get no job why do they care you are no burden to them you jiust add to the state economy through your savings.

Lets hope you all get jobs asap I would investigare if other states are rif you can move on the visa and think about that. Draw a line iin your savings though and no more

Guest nic-manchester

Thanks James good sound advice we looking into moving but not for a while 12 month lease an all thar hassle... Hope something comes up for your wife really do, will let you know if I hear of any admin jobs although I have seen a lot but want accounts too.

Cheers

Nicola

Final point you can get lulled here into thinking it is an easy life and it could be really good both of which is true but if it does not come up with teh goods financially you need to know when to re=appraie. My lessons from my own error!

Thanks Nicola, th etrouble is with the tight job market for admin I beleive they will employ first a friend, then some one known, then an Australian then someone with Australian qualifications or experience and if you are none of those you are at the end of the list. We are close to going back but we have enjoyed some of the two and a half years and who knows your family may be the lucky ones, I hope so

I should have said on the positive side you are ahead of someone iwth a funny accent on the list for emplyment. Just joking I am not really that racist but thought it might lighten the mood

Guest bidsandrew

Im a swimming teacher and there is quite a bit of work for me but the problem is I also have to re do my qualifications (which is not really a prob) but my type of work is normally part time and on a casual basis so not enough for just me to work. Definitly a better life here for the kids than in the UK so fingers crossed for both of us!!

One other quick point, what you do not think about if you are from a densely populated country like England, is that a city of one million people with no real hinteralnd to go to beyond it, si actually a very small job market to find work compared to the UK where there are laods of cities close together. Just worth reflecting on that

Guest caoimhe

I've been working for a Building Company for the last 6 months and we have all just taken a cut in hours as things are so quiet. My employer says he has never seen it this slow in the 20 years he's been in business....Lets hope it improves soon.

Good luck