Carpenters/Joiners

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone out there could fill me in on how the jobs market is at the mo for Carpenters/Joiners.

I will be looking to get my white card soon after arriving so im looking at both aspects of employed & self-employed. Having worked for myself for the past 10 years i would like to carry on doing so but need to way up all options. We are coming over in march to validate our visas as still waiting to sell the house, so if anyone has any contacts in my trade that i could meet up with in this time it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mark

The building trade is very slow just now and has been for the last while, there was someone on the forum couple of weeks ago saying they went for a job and 70 carpteners turned up for it there were 3 jobs going. Don't see much advertised in the paper or job sites on the net .If you are going to work for yourself you need to get a builders licence which can take a while to get you have to do a course sit a test and then apply for your licence you will then be called in for an interview and they will decide what type of work you are able to do and will issue appoprate licence,The white card is just a saftey course and only runs for 6 hours and easy to get.If you want to work for someone there is no need to get a licence. There are big fines for not working with a licence a guy was caught a few weeks back and fined $35000.

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone out there could fill me in on how the jobs market is at the mo for Carpenters/Joiners.

I will be looking to get my white card soon after arriving so im looking at both aspects of employed & self-employed. Having worked for myself for the past 10 years i would like to carry on doing so but need to way up all options. We are coming over in march to validate our visas as still waiting to sell the house, so if anyone has any contacts in my trade that i could meet up with in this time it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mark

Hi if you want to be self employed and just sub contract you need a builders licence, to work on your own you also need a supervisor licence or nominate someone who has a licence to oversee your work. To get a licence you will need all your certificates, provide detailed work history an Australian police certificate and some references, also you have to go on a Business course, you also need an amount of money in the bank , think its $10,000 in tangible assets , there are other things and someone else will advise i'm sure. Could cost up to $1000 all in , still looking into it at the moment.

www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/forms.html

• 1 year later...
Guest sianburton

My OH is a carpenter and was self employed for 7 years in the UK. He's employed here and is earning about $10K more plus he gets holiday on top. Less stress too. Hope everything works out for you.