Bricklayer coming to Oz and now SCARED!

tori0609

Oh no! We have just read the thread on here saying that the bricklaying work is hard to get and that people are moving to different states and looking elsewhere!? We are due to arrive in Adelaide on 11th April and my hubby is a bricklayer - we have just read this and now we are panicking like mad! We both know it's going to be a struggle to begin with (we have no home to sell and have only a tiny amount of savings plus we have a toddler to care for too)

Any advice on where to go/what to do job-wise? We are both more than happy to do other trades and of course work hard though thought his job was sought after (what with it being on the list) - I've done admin/accountancy work for the past 12 yrs though was planning to stay at home with our little one for the forseable future.

Oh now we are SO scared and worrying as to wether we are doing the right thing or not???!!!

Thank-you Ian, it's a bit scary! We are now so pelased that we originally refused our state sponsorship visa as OH could have only been a bricklayer with that visa - at least with this one he can work as anything. Thanks for your words of advice - do you know of any recruitment agencies/the best ways to go about job hunting ?

• 4 weeks later...

alrite guys me and my girlfriend arrived in october 2011 you are in the same shoes as me and my girlfriend the only thing is dif is that u got a kid. me and my girlfriend had only bought a couple of thousand over we had no house or savings but we just want to get to aus. we got to spend 2 years in south aus. im a bricklayer also and have found it very hard to find work i got work within the first week being hear but i got ripped off. then started with an english bloke but we fin the job last week and now both out of work been lookiing but its very tight out hear and i dont think its going to get beta for a while. you also have to have a licence to do anything its stupid. just bring abit of cash luckily my girlfriends working lol good luck maybe will meet up when u get hear

Hiya, a friend of ours is a bricklayer and applied a year ago for a visa for SA, half way through the application they took bricklayers off the skills list so he has to go to perth now and another of our friends who is already here is moving to Brisbane as he cant find any bricklaying work, Sorry to tell you this but im sure you would rather know now than when you arrive, hope this helps :(

thanks for the extra info peeps. Scary stuff now that we are leavign 7 weeks today - I guess I may have to go to work (previously admin) whilst hubby stays at home with our 2yr old until things hopefully pick-up on the bricklaying front, we were refused the first visa too as the skills shortagelist for bricklayers was full once we had applied though got in fine on a 175 instead. will keep fingers crossed it picks up soon!!

Guest Paula H
Oh well I'll keep everything crossed for you too then! I wouldn;t be so worried if I didn't have a little girl to think about too - I'm sure with positive thoughts and the right mind process we will all be ok *gulp*!! I think it's the unknown that's scary!

Mum sure it'll be ffine we are coming with 3 kids "double gulp"

Guest dean berridge

Hi Tori0609 unfortunate to hear this news as we are hoping to move this year just awaiting to hear if we passed our medicals on tuesday this week, but us bricklayers are resourceful and I am not to concerned as i have spoken to my brother in law in Adelaide, and yes the work is a bit shy but if you can turn your hand to other skills then there is plenty of work:)) Have brush will travel!!! Chin up on the other hand we can be house husbands ha ha.

Guest wayney34

Hi I know how you feel my other half is in the building trade and we have kids, but I know its quiet at the moment but it is the holidays and if you look at places in the north it's all being redeveloped and having millions spent on it including many houses and infracstruture. we have friends who live that way and theyv'e said it's really starting to get busy so you could always try around there for work. good luck

Guest hulltigers

just a small family business thats been around for 80 years , only 6 of us work , but he can keep us all in work, i been there a year and been flat out . he said he cant take anyone else on at min , but said he can keep us going all year, what i meant was there is work out there , just need to find right one,

thats rite im looking today so will see how it goes i see your a friend of pompeypomm that who i worked with but they were running out of work to so i left cause i had another start but i got screwed so now im out of work lol great when u get hear

I'm not. I work for a plan printing company that provides machine to architects It's boom time. Oval project , hospital project, housing and railway projects.

Take everything from this site with a pinch of salt mate. Been here 4 years , trust me

Utter bull****

Loads of jobs and work. Building industry is starting to boom again

????? IF it starts to pick up again the supervisors will reinstate the gangs they have used before which is not much use to the new brickies.....6 brickie gangs advertising in the paper today looking for work, might not sound alot but when there is usually only 1 or 2 advertising then it shows there is not "loads of jobs and work" .....speaking to the man from biancos and even he said it was VERY slow out there and he talks to gangs every day so he knows the latest....my OH is having friends (other brickies) ringing every week to see if he knows of any work around...

Im not trying to put people off and yes you might be lucky to land here and get a job and work is picking up but im abit pissed off with people saying its ok when its NOT.........

Jo