tricky finding work

Guest Lsmith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you're not !! all the poms i've talked too or met that have come over recently are saying the same thing !! don't know what you do, but apparently trade jobs come out in Jan / feb !! Hang on in there if you can - Good luck , my husband just started his job 2 weeks ago but our money was going to run out by mid feb & we would have to have gone home , cos however much he liked it here if you can't pay the rent - you can't stay. Have also heard of & feel much sympathy for tradies on a 'state sponsored' visa only to find there really isn't the jobs out here, & are looking to relocate to Brisbane or somewhere. Do agree that if Adelaide offers state sponsership, should make sure the state has the jobs to offer !!

Guest Barney Rubble
No you're not !! all the poms i've talked too or met that have come over recently are saying the same thing !! don't know what you do, but apparently trade jobs come out in Jan / feb !! Hang on in there if you can - Good luck , my husband just started his job 2 weeks ago but our money was going to run out by mid feb & we would have to have gone home , cos however much he liked it here if you can't pay the rent - you can't stay. Have also heard of & feel much sympathy for tradies on a 'state sponsored' visa only to find there really isn't the jobs out here, & are looking to relocate to Brisbane or somewhere. Do agree that if Adelaide offers state sponsership, should make sure the state has the jobs to offer !!

Yes i agree, there are enough trade membership committees around to ask and if you get a state sponsorship i think there should be some latitude in assistance, they (the government) are not running your application as a business :nah:, more an investment into the states requirements.

Hope it works out ok for you:smile:

Cheers

BR

well i am a sparky an came over on the sponsored visa, a few guys have said wait a few weeks to see if things pick up but for some reason i quite enjoy working so maybe pateince is required. (cant believe i said that).

well i am a sparky an came over on the sponsored visa, a few guys have said wait a few weeks to see if things pick up but for some reason i quite enjoy working so maybe pateince is required. (cant believe i said that).

We came over on a sponsored visa two years and work was a bit better to say the least then (they still said ti was quiet). Supposed to pick up in March for some reason, also told something to do with the dam. You do get a bit more laid back after a while. My hubby used to go stir cazy without work for a couple of days. Now he just goes with the flow unless it's a couple of weeks. Then, watch out family, bear with sore head in the building.

Hope it picks ups for you

Guest Jo&Phil

As others have said ...it will start getting busier after Australia Day.

Can you work as a self employed contractor with your own ABN?

I'm always hearing how hard it is to find an electrician ......... so working for yourself could be an option if your visa allows it. This still gives you the chance to do contracted work for employers too.

Also: I think Hays are quite a big agency who cover that type of work... but you've probably already found them.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Since the house building market has dropped by over 20% of there are fewer trade jobs going about, first noticed it 5/6 months ago when there started to be a glut of bricklayers looking for work and it just seems to have had a knock on effect used to see jobs for bricklayers and carpenters in the paper but now lucky if there is one a week.Also noticed that the house builders are advertising on the TV all the time they never used to do that.There looks like there is lots of work out there for sparks going by what is advertised in paper and seek suppose it depends what sector you are used to working in.I have been hearing that is is going to pick up next month for the last 3 months but unless house building numbers improves can not see anything picking up.

Personally I found it pretty hard. Ive just got a full time post after arriving in mid November. I must have applied for hundreds of jobs and believe me a lot of them were things like 'recycle sorter', 'kitchen hand' etc etc. so its not as if I was sticking to my trade/experience.

Also applied to loads of agencies who said they had temp work - data entry, things like that - nothing.:arghh:

From my experience in the UK, when Ive been between jobs for any length of time if you went to an agency and basically said 'Ill do anything' - theyll get you a job. Could be in a warehouse, factory, whatever but if you have half a brain, are reliable and presentable theyll get you something.

Not the case over here and I was beginning to get paranoid. Part of the problem is not having Aussie work references and agencies basically cant be bothered to chase UK based work references. Thats my experience anyway, but stick in and something will come up :cool:

Guest nic-manchester

It is hard we have found too, like you my husband just simply can't not work he likes to be busy doing what he loves and does, he has got a job now.....in Brisbane he is flying over Sunday to start Monday leaving me an kids here for time being, his brother is there so he is staying with them. Not what we envisaged doing we came as a unit an all that bt he wants to build not empt containers, but we got to pay the bills so needs must.

Nicola

Fair play Nicola. Jason thought he was going to have to work in Melbourne at one stage as no work here. Boral said last in, last to get a job. was alright when he was working for someone but as soon as he went self employed, it was we have to keep the originals going. Phoned Boral in Melbourne and they had nothing and would not take him on on his own as said he needed to have at least two labourers. Our argument was how can you employ someone when you do not have work. Luckily Jason has had enough to tide him over, but we would have sunk without that.

Hope it works out for you and all the best

Niki

Guest nic-manchester

They seem backward at coming forward here(no offense anyone) glad he can tide himself over the plan was for Nathan to work for someone for a year then start on his own but not even been given the opportunity to do it!

I am confident it will all work out he seems much happier that he has got a start doing what he does even though it's far away, never been away from us before so time will tell, going to give it a week see how he gets on then all upticks if it's what he wants an feels right the guy has got 18 months work an with th commonwealth games for 2014set for Brisbane then am sure there will be a lot of construction going on for that.

Nicola x

Guest bidsandrew

My husband has been in the same position - it makes him feel much better to know its not just him! We too arrived mid November and he has had no luck securing a permanant job in his trade - Greenkeeper/Groundsman - or any other job for that matter! He too has applied for all sorts of jobs including the Recycling sorter! He has now got 6 weeks driving a tractor at a winery in Mclaren Vale which is better than nothing and has made him feel much better. At least now he will have an Oz reference and the guy has also paid for him to have a full medical (although we had to have one for the visa anyway) but hopefully this will now help him get some more work when he has finished this one.

He is also doing his white card soon which hopefully will help too. he has thought of doing his MR truck licence but it costs a fortune. Most of his sort of jobs require this licence and it just seems that when you get state sponsorship for your specific trade they dont mention that you will have to obtain a load of other things that will cost a fortune and still not get you a job!! Other than that life here is great and as long as work picks up we definitly wont be going anywhere else!

Good luck to everyone else in the same position.

Don't forget that from November to February you are also competing with students and older school kids who are also happy to "do anything" and of course, if they are Australian they have Australian references and Australian contacts. I have heard people complaining about how in Britain the immigrants get all the jobs when the locals don't get a look in - I have to say I think here they do things the right way! It's tough for new arrivals I know, but locals should get priority imho.

No better here in City of Adelaide, might even be worse for two reasons. Firstly, highest unemployment rate in nation so they say here, and its a small place only 1 million and predominantly small businesses. Secondly, here its about who you know and that's a big fat zero, they ain't the best at wanting to make friends - I'm an outsider.

I'm not a tradie just an old (52) now white heterosexual male educated and corporate background who came for his partner. Immigration said they needed educated experienced people like me...load of old BS pardon my language and I have sent CV's registered with agencies what a waste of time. I have lived and worked in USA and UK never have I encountered this - may just chuck it all in. I have never worked and as for bear with sore head that's a classic understatement, this approach to foreigners is what the UK should be doing (excuse the resentment but I'm really cheesed off. I paid my own way here for the 18 months waiting for a visa, then for the past 5 months since getting a temporary visa I am now aggrieved at the fact I have not worked for 2 years when for all my life I have carried my weight. My partner has a good job but she has a daughter at Uni and frankly I have spent all my cash you'd think we'd be able to get something. Its not us, and the best part is these morons yes i said it, want criminal background checks, well are they that stupid not to know we all had em getting here, mine included FBI, UK and Australian Federal Police, give me break. Australia overrated in the immortal words of Jim Royle "my arse".

Good luck to all and everyone sorry for venting but the earthquake you will here is me stomping up and down. Oh yes, its not as if I cant go back to Uni and get a PhD but why would I pay them $27k a year for the privilege getting a temporary visa is useless, most the jobs I find say PR or Citizenship, talk about exclusionary.

No better here in City of Adelaide, might even be worse for two reasons. Firstly, highest unemployment rate in nation so they say here, and its a small place only 1 million and predominantly small businesses. Secondly, here its about who you know and that's a big fat zero, they ain't the best at wanting to make friends - I'm an outsider.

I'm not a tradie just an old (52) now white heterosexual male educated and corporate background who came for his partner. Immigration said they needed educated experienced people like me...load of old BS pardon my language and I have sent CV's registered with agencies what a waste of time. I have lived and worked in USA and UK never have I encountered this - may just chuck it all in. I have never worked and as for bear with sore head that's a classic understatement, this approach to foreigners is what the UK should be doing (excuse the resentment but I'm really cheesed off. I paid my own way here for the 18 months waiting for a visa, then for the past 5 months since getting a temporary visa I am now aggrieved at the fact I have not worked for 2 years when for all my life I have carried my weight. My partner has a good job but she has a daughter at Uni and frankly I have spent all my cash you'd think we'd be able to get something. Its not us, and the best part is these morons yes i said it, want criminal background checks, well are they that stupid not to know we all had em getting here, mine included FBI, UK and Australian Federal Police, give me break. Australia overrated in the immortal words of Jim Royle "my arse".

Good luck to all and everyone sorry for venting but the earthquake you will here is me stomping up and down. Oh yes, its not as if I cant go back to Uni and get a PhD but why would I pay them $27k a year for the privilege getting a temporary visa is useless, most the jobs I find say PR or Citizenship, talk about exclusionary.

Have you tried volunteering? That's a great way to start building up your network - contact Volunteering SA http://www.volunteeringsa.org.au/

Guest bidsandrew

Diane, I do agree that locals should get priority and yes it is the wrong way around in the UK but then the Australian government shouldnt be giving out visa's, especially state sponsored ones, if the job market cant support the locals as well as the immigrants.

How long does it take these days from applying for a visa to getting one? I guess if it's a matter of months or years rather than weeks, then a lot can change in that time - certainly sounds like the construction industry has slowed down in the past few months, but maybe a year ago it was different?

Guest guest9403

Good to read this tread...we too are state sponsered and my hubby found it hard to find work...not because there are no jobs just seems impossible to get them!!!! Thankfully he found work 2 weeks before christmas 2 and a half mths after arriving,and some jobs he applied for back then are still been advertised????....A lot of them he found advertised for 4-5 weeks,than another 3 weeks to short list..then hopefully u will have a phone interview and if ur real lucky a personnal interview...so almost ten weeks....so laid back which is lovely in some ways but frustrating wen u are paying rent and bills and need some money coming in...lol...:smile: