wages for carpenters and hairdressers

Guest lisa_lewin@tinyonline.co.

Guest lisa_lewin@tinyonline.co.

Hi can anyone tell me what we can expect wages wise in adelaide compared to the uk. I am hoping that hairdressers earn better in oz compared to the uk. people are probably asking this same question all the time so sorry if it's getting boring!:unsure:hubby steve is a carpenter and also want to know if there is plenty of work in adelaide for 1st and 2nd fix carpentry. anyone know of some buiding firms we could get in touch with. any reponse is greatly recieved.

Hiya.

Thats scary, I just turned on the computer to ask just those questions! My husband, Simon, is also a chippy (1st & 2nd fix) and is trying to get an idea how wages in Adelaide compare to here. I've been reassured that Adelaide has plenty of work to offer, whether it be north or south Adelaide, and not to worry if he hasn't got a job lined up before we go because he'll soon find one when we get there.

Does anyone know whether most carpenters work on a self-employed basis or employed? Also tools? I imagine Simon will be wanting to take all his tools but does he really need to?

Nicky

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Sorry i dont know about carpenters but hairdressers get around $19 an hour as casual staff, but if you are employed permanently then it is more like $16-17 ann hour

sarah

Hi, :D

We arrived in Adelaide five weeks ago. My OH is a joiner and he found work after two weeks for a builder in the city area but the wages aren't great. To work self employed he needs to get his building licence which could take him up to twelve months.

Hope this is of some help to you. Good Luck.:D

Hi, :D

We arrived in Adelaide five weeks ago. My OH is a joiner and he found work after two weeks for a builder in the city area but the wages aren't great. To work self employed he needs to get his building licence which could take him up to twelve months.

Hope this is of some help to you. Good Luck.:D

Thanks for that. I suppose it also depends on what you've been used to getting paid in England and also offsettting the wages against the cost of living. I suppose we won't know for sure until we get there. It's obviously quite easy for my hubby to find work once we arrive then?

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

There are lots of jobs advertised in the paper on a Saturday. My OH just sent his C.V to as many builders as he could so a job within two weeks was good going. I think he was hoping for a bit of holiday first!!!

Lorna.:D

Thanks Lorna. I think my OH is hoping for a holiday first too, mind you I think he was hoping for a month. Yeah right, in his dreams!!

Is that a local paper? I just wondered if it was one I could subcribe to. We do with a couple of other Oz papers and get them sent here in England but they're national papers. Where did your OH manage to find details of builders in Adelaide?

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

Thats right, get the whip out and send them to work lol. :biglaugh:. My OH saw the job in the Advertiser on a Saturday, there is a careers section in there. Keep in touch and I'll let you know how he gets on. His job comes with a van which is handy as we didn't have to buy a second vehicle.

Lorna.;)

Guest Amie Briggs

my wife is worried about the wage thing.She is a top nurse and i have my own salon so we will be halfing our income if we move.You get paid more if you work late nights 630 till 9 and sat mornings 25% sat between 1 and 5 50% over time is 150% and sundays and public hols are double time.You can earn upto $43 an hour if you work sundays as a casual,but wages seem on par with the uk ,but its sunny in aus you cant put a price on that!! ian

• 2 months later...
Guest Tomatoes

As a senior hairdresser working a normal 38 hour week you can expect to clear around the $530 - $550 a week (It doesn't go a long way and you don't get tips!!!)

Heard carpenters earn good money but don't know any at the moment.