Tradies

Guest zimbo

Hi,just calling on all tradesmen to share information,from migration issues,TRA , ARTC ,licenses and registrations, job market and general stuff. I am a Refrigeration technician and i will be happy to help in any way i can,thanks.:chatterbox:

Hi Zimbo, you guys are far and few between.

I am due to arrive in Adelaide 7 th March with my wife and children, I am also a Refrigeration Technician and will need to sort out my licenses when I arrive.

Is it a straight forward process to get an Artick license ?

Do you know much about obtaining an unrestricted/restricted electrical license ?

What is he going rate a refrigeration technician ?

I am qualified back in the uk for fridge and electrical, city and guilds level 3 in both.

Any advice would be great as I haven't spoke with any one in the trade over there from the UK yet.

:smile:

hi mate, i got a question for you. I'm a floor layer, what card / licence do i need? and, if i wanted to stay in queensland for a few months working before i get to adelaide, is that a problem on 176 visa. I'm sponsored by s.a?

thanks for your help

Danny

Hi,i hope IAN MC has answered your questions,i am not familiar with that field. As for working in Queensland i think you have a two year obligation to work in SA,whether its a moral or legal obligation i am not sure maybe other members can help us here.

Hi,its quite easy to apply for both Artick and restricted electrical licence as long as you have an ARTC. For Artick you just submit your application form,a copy of your ARTC,passport,visa and they will send your card in about 2 weeks or so. For restricted electrical license you can walk in with your passport,ARTC and about $400.00(cant remember the exact figure) at the OCBA offices on Grenfell road,this will take 6 to 8 weeks because they have a backlog.

Guest stevieb1483

Hi zimbo, i was wondering if you could tell me what my job would translate as in Australia.. In the UK im a Groundworker/Plant operator, i basically work on motorways, and race tracks (Silverstone GP circuit) driving 360 excavators (approx 20 tonnes) dump trucks and rollers.. whilst also doing the ground work side, storm water and foul drainage, kerbing + edgings etc etc

could you tell me what job area im best off searching in? and also is there much in the way of work for someone with my skils?

Hi,its quite easy to apply for both Artick and restricted electrical licence as long as you have an ARTC. For Artick you just submit your application form,a copy of your ARTC,passport,visa and they will send your card in about 2 weeks or so. For restricted electrical license you can walk in with your passport,ARTC and about $400.00(cant remember the exact figure) at the OCBA offices on Grenfell road,this will take 6 to 8 weeks because they have a backlog.

Thanks, how do you get ARTC, is this a simple process ?

Whats the going rate for a Technician ?

Guest Yankmedownunder

Hi all!

Just wondering about the home building/remodel trade in SA, we were told by a recruiter that the building job market is slowing down.

Is this seasonal, or due to the economy?

I hear rumors of a huge civil project starting up next year building a new hospital, supposed to one of the largest projects around.

Anyone privy to this rumor?

Also, is it best to use a recruiter or ones own two feet?

I have also read that minimum wage is around $15.00/ph, which sounds like a dream as in portland oregon it's only $8.50/ph.

My husband is a residential home builder/remodeler, looking for work as a project manager.

Can anyone help?

Sunny Caster

The building trade is pretty bad at the moment lot of builders out of work most self employed so does not show up in stats. They have started the hospital but dont think that is going to help much its just another large job which there is always one going on here. the going rate for a tradie is about $25- $30 per hr

Hi all!

Just wondering about the home building/remodel trade in SA, we were told by a recruiter that the building job market is slowing down.

Is this seasonal, or due to the economy?

I hear rumors of a huge civil project starting up next year building a new hospital, supposed to one of the largest projects around.

Anyone privy to this rumor?

Also, is it best to use a recruiter or ones own two feet?

I have also read that minimum wage is around $15.00/ph, which sounds like a dream as in portland oregon it's only $8.50/ph.

My husband is a residential home builder/remodeler, looking for work as a project manager.

Can anyone help?

Sunny Caster

Thanks, how do you get ARTC, is this a simple process ?

Whats the going rate for a Technician ?

I am sorry i thought you had ARTC already,well its quite a cumbersome process,you need to apply through TRA,provide detailed information including work history,training history,tools and materials you have used,traceable work references etc. If you go on the TRA website you will find more information about the ARTC application requirements. I am not sure if anything has changed but you can apply for it even before you come here,if you use your current address they will only send your certificate once you land in Oz but if you have a friend or relative here you can use their address. This should take about 6 weeks now,i believe they have cleared the backlog now,it was taking about 3 months before. In the city the going rates are between $25 and $30 but in the mines it can be up to $50 FIFO.

To avoid confusion ARTC is Australian Recognised Trade Cerificate ,ARCtick- ARC is Australian Refrigeration Council-this is the body that issues the refrigerant handling licences[RHL], the tick is just for approval.

I am sorry i cant help you but i hope someone here would have an idea. Have you tried checking the jobs list on the immigration website,usually they describe the requirements for each job title. Also you can check Trades Recognition Australia[TRA],if it falls under their trades list.