do i need a abn number ???

Guest chris.cluderay

Guest chris.cluderay

can anyone tell me if i need a abn number to work as a carpenter,

when i apply online it says i need to have set up my business already

but i need one to work !!!!!!!! ?????????

You need an australian business no. if you work as a contractor and are responsible for paying your own tax, gst,[vat] and superannuation, if you are an employee your employer should take care of this as an employee you will not need an ABN.You don't have to have any work to set up a business, you can call yourself almost anything, example Chris Cluderay Carpentry register the name Voila!............. you have an ABN

https://abr.gov.au

Right this is how it works. If you work for someone as a Carpenter on wages they will hold a builders licence all you need is a white card

If you work as a sub contractor for someone you will need a Builders licence white card ABN Insurance and register for GST (as below)

If you work for yourself (private work) you will need a Builders licence white card an ABN Insurance and register for GST if you make more than a certain amount (Think its $50,000)

To get a builders licence you will have to sit a course at TAFE or HIA or Master builders and do test at end of course at home. pass test then apply to OCBA for your licence they will usually call you in for an interview and on the outcome of that will tell you what they will licence you for. Get yourself a CITB card can be done on line this will give you a discount on any training you do. Can take a while to get your licence, (Also depends who you are working for you may also need police clerance also)

https://abr.gov.au

Click on the link above for the Australian Business Register

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: show, width: 180]Click on box

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: show, width: 180]Apply for Australian Business Number (ABN)

Next page "Privacy Statement for Online Transactions" [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: show, width: 180]Click on box "I've read this statement"

Next page "Apply for an ABN" Click on box "Start a new ABN application

Next page"Begin Application"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Take note of reference number ect ect

[/TD]

[TD=width: 22]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=width: 22] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest chris.cluderay

Thanks eveyone. great info. My rental agent wants me to do a little job for them ( 4hrs work) they said all i need is a abn number. do i really need a building licence if im sub contracting, they have an ozzy electrician who does work for them now and again and he said to me all he has is a abn number, white card and citb card.

Im trying to get employed while im sorting this out, im running out of money:unsure: