Possible work in Para Hills..

JoRed4

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Aldinga to Para Hills; my OH is a Landscape Gardener & apparently alot of the work for Landscape Gardeners is up in the North; i.e. Para Hills

However we are in talks with a couple about taking over their lease in Aldinga is this a realistic daily commute?

would imagine a good hour and 1/2 drive for you so not only time but also alot of wages go on petrol. As for living in Parra Hills, in my opinion look outside of the area although do take a look round as some streets look fine, some good some not so in Parra Hills, may be look over in Golden Grove, Wynn Vale areas then an easier commute.

Guest shella_n

Yup we used to live in Mawson Lakes & it takes us exactly an hour to get to port noarlunga soni reckon 1.5 hours to aldinga, mabye more in traffic - I wouldn't do it that's for sure

is this a realistic daily commute? 60 kms [40 miles] NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....DON'T DO IT!

90 mins travelling if the traffic is running smoothly,work a Saturday or Sunday.......NO EXPRESSWAY in the right direction for you, now most people hate the expressway, but at the end of the day it's easier than the old road.If you're not familiar with it, it opens mon-fri south to north 2am-12.30pm closed 12.30-14.00 reopens 14.00-12.30am north to south, weekends and public holidays its opposite running nth.-sth am and sth-nth. pm.

South Australia was so proud when it first opened,but it has turned out to be a bit of an embarrassment.Duplication will start soon probably causing delays,also plenty of delays at the moment with the construction of the superway at Regency Park.

You need to work in the area you live in,saying that I would rather live in the south. Good Luck.

Plenty of lovely areas that wouldn't be far from Para Hills. Have a look around Semaphore or even West Lakes if you like beachside, or any of the northeastern suburbs. Better to live near where the work is than live miles away and make your work choices limited. As some recent threads have pointed out, work is getting harder and harder to find ....... and one cannot eat sand!

Thank you for your response; what is Mawson Lakes like? We're moving to Adelaide in May; myself, hubby & baby daughter who will be 7.5 months in May. Just so hard to figure out distances when you're not actually there. Somewhere might look close but then you find out that commute is actually much more time consuming than one that looks further away.. Tricky, tricky :)

Yup we used to live in Mawson Lakes & it takes us exactly an hour to get to port noarlunga soni reckon 1.5 hours to aldinga, mabye more in traffic - I wouldn't do it that's for sure

Thank you for your response Diane; which of the northeastern suburbs would you recommend. I've looked at a couple of places in Elizabeth Vale today?

Cheers :)

Plenty of lovely areas that wouldn't be far from Para Hills. Have a look around Semaphore or even West Lakes if you like beachside, or any of the northeastern suburbs. Better to live near where the work is than live miles away and make your work choices limited. As some recent threads have pointed out, work is getting harder and harder to find ....... and one cannot eat sand!

G'day Jo, weve been in the n/e suburbs for over 2 yrs now, Fairview park, Banksia park, Redwood park etc, and have found these suburbs to be really family friendly, very close to tea tree shopping complex (5mins) and theres plenty of schools, open spaces/parks, 30 mins commute to the city, beaches, wineries etc ;) its not a bad place to start off in at all, they can seem a little too quiet at times, but thats not a bad thing, i hope this helps regards Paul Julie

Thank you for your response Diane; which of the northeastern suburbs would you recommend. I've looked at a couple of places in Elizabeth Vale today?

Cheers :)

I don't know a lot of the Elizabeth suburbs personally - they're more due north I guess. For more northeastern ones, those mentioned above are a good place to start, or you could go down as far as somewhere like Athelstone, then anywhere up the eastern side north of there - Hope Valley, Tea Tree Gully, Redwood Park, Banksia Park, Wynn Vale, Golden Grove, Greenwith, Mawson Lakes.... one of my daughter's friends lives in a lovely place in Pooraka - I would never have even thought of that suburb myself to be honest as I only know the industrial areas around there, but when dropping daughter off at this friend's house there were some really nice residential places hidden away.

Best bet is to sort yourself out with something short term as a base, then be prepared for lots of driving around and exploring for yourself. If you can get something short term even somewhere as far south as Aldinga, then that gives you time to check out places for yourself before committing to something in the longer term. If your OH doesn't have a job sorted at the moment, wait till he has that sorted first - nothing to say someone in the south won't offer him something and then if you've committed to living in the North East you'd be stuffed the other way round!

Guest Barney Rubble
is this a realistic daily commute? 60 kms [40 miles] NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....NO!.....DON'T DO IT!

90 mins travelling if the traffic is running smoothly,work a Saturday or Sunday.......NO EXPRESSWAY in the right direction for you, now most people hate the expressway, but at the end of the day it's easier than the old road.If you're not familiar with it, it opens mon-fri south to north 2am-12.30pm closed 12.30-14.00 reopens 14.00-12.30am north to south, weekends and public holidays its opposite running nth.-sth am and sth-nth. pm.

South Australia was so proud when it first opened,but it has turned out to be a bit of an embarrassment.Duplication will start soon probably causing delays,also plenty of delays at the moment with the construction of the superway at Regency Park.

You need to work in the area you live in,saying that I would rather live in the south. Good Luck.

I actually live in Para Hills and have done so for over 20 years but won't go into a tirade over ianb's comments, it applies to all suburbs including Burnside, Parkside ect.

The answer is simply no.

Personally i have done that trip both ways in my job and bigal is spot on (apart from the living south bit :wink:)

Guest kfoley0681

hi in answer to your commuting question i would say no its to far for a daily commute. i live in the northen subs and would definatly come up and have a look around why some places are ok and nicer to live the south looks nicer!! the more desirable subs to para hills are gulfview heights, golden grove, wynnvale, i wouldnt go to any of the elizabeth subs they all have a bad reputation and housing is mostly made up of housing trust homes!!!

I actually live in Para Hills and have done so for over 20 years but won't go into a tirade over ianb's comments, it applies to all suburbs including Burnside, Parkside ect.

The answer is simply no.

Personally i have done that trip both ways in my job and bigal is spot on (apart from the living south bit :wink:)

if you read it i actually said there are some nice parts to Parra Hills, and yes you are correct every suburb north, east, south and west have good and bad parts.

Personally i love the northern areas of Adelaide and will always stay here. We have loved every day we have been here.

If anything it shows the need for research for where your going to be working is far more important than just following personal comments as everyone will say where they live is the best.

For me,

I won't drive from Aldinga to Para Hill as they say about a good 1.5 hrs is true. Do Avoid Elizabeth and some of its surrounding areas (if i offence anybody there). Wynn vale, Surry downs, redwood, Greenwith, Golden grove etc are good areas to bring the kids up as I've 2 kids.

You've to make your choice and good luck.

Guest Barney Rubble
if you read it i actually said there are some nice parts to Parra Hills, and yes you are correct every suburb north, east, south and west have good and bad parts.

Personally i love the northern areas of Adelaide and will always stay here. We have loved every day we have been here.

If anything it shows the need for research for where your going to be working is far more important than just following personal comments as everyone will say where they live is the best.

:smile:

yes i did read it a few times before i posted.

Agree too that we both prefer the Northern Suburbs and will also stay here, trip South to friends are fine but i think we all agree that people need to take a bo-peep at these areas before making a commitment.

No offence meant, or taken :nah: