any idea how long recruitment process can take

Him again

Dear all

I have applied for a government job and the application has an electronic tracking system, I did send my application on the 5th of Feb and the closing date was 17Th Feb, on the tracking system it keeps saying "application under review"

I have heard in the past that job applications are slower in Oz then we are used to in Europe but can anybody confirm this and let me know what seem to be the norm for processing times at Australian job applications? or at what the norm is when you hear anything of your application.

Thanks

Him Again

In the UK we're used to about a 4 week process from advert to decision making.

Here, anywhere from 6-12 weeks seems to be the norm depending on whether it's a job within a small company, or a council/the government.

I wouldn't worry, as it's only been 4 weeks or so, maybe chase it up if you haven't heard anything by April. It's a pain, but what can you do lol.

Oh one quick question - are you a citizen or perm resident? I'm sure that I've read somewhere the to work for the government you need to be a citizen? I may be wrong on that though but hopefully someone can clear it up.

Thank you for your reply Leigh

We are permanent residents under 176 visa, when applyng for the job it only said that we needed to have the right to work, so hopefully some body can clarify this point regarding working for a government body without citenzenship

thanks

Guest Damien

Hi, you only have to be a permanent resident, that's all I am and i's the same for the police. My job application did take about 3 months from start to finish, then in typical Ozzie fashion they phoned me and said 'you start in two weeks, gotta move to Mount Gambier'!

Hi Him again,

The recruiting process is rather longwinded and frustrating here, but I have found that it is best to either keep calling or pop in and speak to the right person face to face as the ozzies are not very good at getting back to you or returning correspondance at least quickly anyway.

Good luck

The Jacksons

Dear all

I have applied for a government job and the application has an electronic tracking system, I did send my application on the 5th of Feb and the closing date was 17Th Feb, on the tracking system it keeps saying "application under review"

I have heard in the past that job applications are slower in Oz then we are used to in Europe but can anybody confirm this and let me know what seem to be the norm for processing times at Australian job applications? or at what the norm is when you hear anything of your application.

Thanks

Him Again

Our experience of recruitment here has been that at best it is very slow and at worst you never get any contact from recruiters at all. I have to say, it's given a pretty bad impression of recruitment agancies in Adelaide which is a real shame 'cos we're both professionally qualified and keen to find work. :mad:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, the SA Government will employ people on a temporary working visa for casual work. You will need to have residency to secure a permanent job with state govt in SA. To be employed on a contract or permanently by Federal Government - of which there are some departments and satelite depts in Adelaide, you need to be an Australian Citizen. I have however worked for Federal Govt via an employment agency which somehow gets around the red tape.

In order to apply for citizenship, as far as I know, you must be an Australian resident for at least 2 years... I have worked for State and Federal Govt on my temporary visa and yes, the process for job applications can be very slow and frustrating :-( Also, budgets seem to be constantly challenged and temps come and go on a very regular basis - so keep working away at the agencies that work closely with government - they all have their own contacts and govt departments have their favourites too so good to sign up with as many as possible.