Admin/Clerical jobs

jono

Hi

My wife has been applying for jobs for the past year and has not received one interview, only rejections. She is getting really down about this as she is very highly experienced in the admin field. She worked for a very large organisation back in the uk and was an Office Manager over a number of staff. She has also got a Business and Finance Diploma and several really good references. As it is really hard here to get your foot on the ladder she has been applying for very basic clerical jobs as she appreciates that she will probably have to start at the bottom again until she works her way up again (as this is how it generally works here) but even the most basic part time admin jobs are rejecting her and not even offering her an interview. We would be very interested if we could get some advice from any of you who have gained employment in the admin/finance field or in bank jobs etc as she is finding it near impossible and it is very frustrating as all she needs is the opportunity to show an employer what she can do!!!

As suggested agency work is a good place to start. A lot of employers in the current job market like to 'try before they buy' and often if you do a great job they may offer you something more long term. It is always useful to have a copy of the test scores from agency testing (but obviously only if they are good scores) to quantify your skills rather than just saying I am 'good' at MS Word, you can say when tested at XXXX agency under test conditions I received a score of 80% for MS Word.

Office jobs are one of the most competitive areas for applications, anything up to 200+, so you have to find something that sets you apart from everyone else, which can be difficult when competing against the Aussies, but not impossible. If your wife has not got an interview by now, then I would say (I am a HR Officer) that she needs to change something, either her resume, cover letter or the kind of jobs she is applying for - good luck.

Guest familygood

I would suggest changing the CV or letter layout as well. She could always try volunteering until something comes up which shows a willingness to work and would give much needed Australian work experience and most importantly an Australian reference. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jono, I too am having problems getting an admin job. I have been an executive PA for many yrs and Office Manager. More recently went into Purchasing with a large Steel Company so i thought I would have no probs getting a job over here. I have tweaked my CV now and covering letter plus once i send the CV I call the Company/Agency to check they have received it. It then forces them to look at it.

There is a lot of 'who you know' in Adelaide and also the Aussies getting jobs over pommies. I have spoken to parents at school asking them if they know of jobs in the company they work for so fingers crossed over the next few months something will come up. If i dont get anything by Oct (youngest starts school) I will go and do agency work.

Good luck to your wife (she may well be applying for ones I am :goofy:) and I am confident she will get a break soon xxxxx

PS if she fancies a coffee to swop notes I am free all day ;-)